is olbas- vicks ok to use whilst pregnant?

winnie89

Reaction score
Hey girls have a really stinking cold and I'm sick of sniffing and my nose being blocked all the time, hubby said well why don't I use some olbas and i googled it and some of the stuff which it came up with being really harmful to baby does anyone actually know whether it's safe or to just stay away??

Hiya, i had a really bad cold when i was about 27 weeks pregnant and the pharmacist at Boots refused to sell it to me... midwife said i couldnt use anything and just had to suffer, it is rubbish :( hope you feel better soon x

Thanls just hate not being able to breathe all the time it's doing my head in!

I've been using vics because I have bad congestion.

Vicks contains camphor which should be avoided as it's not good for baby and crosses the placenta (it's in tiger balm too). Especially should avoid putting these things on your skin.

Olbas oil does not contain camphor as far as I know, and there don't seem to be any dire warnings, same for Karvol, their website says it should be safe in pregnancy but to consult your doctor (they ALL say that, it's just a disclaimer). A bit on your pillow shouldn't harm if you're bunged up.

Wow so glad I just read this post, The usless Doctor i was at last week who gave very bad advice on the Jab and my murmer said to use Vicks as much as I wanted that it was perfectly safe, So glad I didnt start using it thanks hun x

eeek i have been using boots own version of vicks, didnt know all this!

If you go to the Pharmacist they should be able to give you something to add to hot water which you can inhale. Doctor also recommend this to me but no you carnt use nasal sprays

I was usings the oil and vicks when I was pregnant with my son. I got told its dangerous and stopped using it, but I suppose I had already used it for a good solid week or so. Thankfully he was fine. something to do with the clove oil in it I think been a while seen I read up on it. x

Best advice is jump in bath or shower and use the steam :D x

See I'm now really confused my mom said I'm ok to use olbas as she did when she was pregnant with my brother (he's 6) and she said the doctor said it was fine? I'm all confused now?? :S

yeah its confusing but best be on safe side. i used the oil in a bowl of hot water as I couldn't breathe but got told off my friend I shouldn't have so was panicking for a few days. This time I suppose I know whats what so I will just suffer :( Hugs x

I read that it was ok to use vicks vapour rub

http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

http://www.livestrong.com/article/164038-the-negative-effects-of-vicks-vaporub/

It hasn't been extensively tested by all accounts. The concerns about camphor are for young children and applying to their skin.

I am going to continue to use it as for me personally, I believe the minimal risk (if any) is less than the discomfort I get from not being able to sleep/rest and the headaches from blocked sinuses.

If you are really concerned, ask your doctor or midwife.

Thanks torino will have to speak to MW about this cuz I hate not being able to breathe!!

Interested to see what you MW says winnie as i am at the start of a cold with bunged up nose and sore throat. I am going to call my MW also as starting to struggle espeically at night!! x

I've got an appointment on monday so I'll ask her then

Heck I have used Vicks up my nose to help me with smells and vomiting :(

If you use stuff like vicks as directed (chest / back rub) the camphor problem *may* be low risk, but lots of people put vicks on mucous membranes (e.g. Up your nose), it can then be absorbed by your body and cross the placenta.

Honey and fresh lemon drink is very good on the event of cold x

Wow my cold is on bout 2 in bout 4 weeks ive been using vicks on my chest and the kleenex olbas oil tissues! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back