• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

is it possibe to bottle feed breast milk?

chelsea

Reaction score
i was just wondering if its possible to combine breast feeding and bottle feeding?

like if i was to express milk to transfer into a bottle? i would like to breast feed over using formula, but i also want OH to experience the feeding side of things.

so i was wondering if its possible to express milk into a bottle from newborn instead of using formula, or if this will be looked down on or if you have to choose one over the other.

i dont know if that makes any sense but if it doesnt just say and i will try and explain what i mean :lol:

its not just that, i know it sounds stupid. but im unbelievable shy and im really worried about showing off my "bits" in public, gonna be bad enough for labour and internals, im gonna wanna be fully clothed! but i also dont want to go out and baby need feeding and have to sit there and feed in public :oops: i know it sounds stupid, and im sure when the time comes i wont be worried about it as much. but the thought of it makes me not want to breast feed. im just way too much of a private person :oops:

its all just really scary, cause i wanna do whats best for it but i am also really nervous of the thought of other people seeing my "private areas" im funny about OH seeing me like it! let alone anyone else. :lol:

The thing about getting your "bits" out is that there are so many ways to make it discreet and because they feed so much in the early days you become an expert at getting baby latched on without anyone noticing. My FIL noticed half way through a feed and paniced and asked if he should leave the room!! But he hadn't seen anything, that's how good I had got at doing it.

Get some good breast feeding tops and some cardigans and no-one will ever see anything worth mentioning!!

i think its just me, and im too shy, i will think differently when its here, i know i will, i think its more that the majority of my friends are male, so dont really wanna be getting boobs out in front of em! :lol: im just really self concious i think. if i wear a top that is low cut i feel self concious! let alone showing the world my front bum (although i have no choice) and boobs (or lack of??) :lol:

im sure i will feel differently, it was just something i had been wondering about :)

of course you can hun!!

Arianna wouldnt feed directly off me so I exclusivly expressed feeds for the first 17-18wks. Yes it is hard work, but I was sooooo determained that I was going to give her my breast milk.

Honestly, I know what you're feeling, we have some very good friends who are men and I didn't really fancy getting my boobs out in front of them but with good t-shirts and a cardigan and practice you can get so good that no-one will see anything!

I'd say wait and see. If you find it a big problem then you can think about solutions, but wait and see if it becomes a problem first before you worry about it.

i do really want to breast feed. i really want baby to have the best start and know that i am giving it that. but i also like the idea of OH being involved with feeding, and that i can just put it into a bottle and go back to sleep :lol: (thats not the only reason im just evil if im tired :lol: ) i guess i will speak to the midwife about it, i just didnt know if its something that they would be funny about or if it was even possible.

im too worried for my own good, i need to research everything and know what im doing (im even looking up buggies and i know beggar all about buggies!) but i dont like leaving things to the last minute, especially as i have lost a month :shock:

Its certainly something that's possible, but like Midna said, not recommended to express until your milk supply has settled. My friend used to express 1/2 bottles worth a day so her OH could be involved but said it was hard work and sometimes she wished she could just forget about it and not bother.

Good idea to get all the info, but just try not to worry about what will happen, just make sure you're armed with the facts.

Oh and as for your midwife being funny about you wanting to do something, they can advise you what to do but in the end its your decision and so long as it isn't harming your baby they have to respect your wishes.

my midwife is lovely i just didnt know if it was something that was frowned upon (if that makes sense)

not they see it as bad, just they would rather baby feed straight from the breast not from a bottle, even if it is breast milk. i dunno i guess i will see what happens when it gets here. its just something she said to think about ready for my 14 week bloods to discuss, but cause im 14 weeks now (not 10 like i thought), i have lost out on a lot of thinking time :lol:

As for being shy hun, I think you will find that after giving birth, that will change a hell of a lot! I was so worried and sounded the same as you before I had my first! But now, not that I would plop my babs out anywhere but Im not so shy and wont be worried about BF outdoors so much! Although you think you wont now, you will be more relaxed (hopefully) lol

If you plan to breast feed then its recommened to solely BF for 6-8 weeks to a) establish your supply and b) to prevent nipple confusion. They say to express and bottle feed it only once this time is past and breastfeeding is well established. Mixing the two can cause problems to you and baby so I'd say its better to wait.

I wanted my OH to be able to feed our LO but didn't express till my supply was well and truly established and LO was feeding really well. It meant he was not able to in the early weeks but that was ok. As midna said, baby will spend so much time on your boob and its important they do so to establish a good flow and supply.

Expressing often gets very mixed results and some women can't express much at all but direct from the boob baby gets plenty. Others can express enough for their LO's.

As for nipple confusion... babies suck differenly on the nipple to a bottle. If your LO finds it hard to latch in the early days you'll need to keep persevering till they get the hang of it. Giving milk from a bottle too soon can mean they get lazy as often from a teat it flows much quicker and they don't have to suck to get the milk. So when they go back on the boob they don't work so hard to get the milk out and this can affect your supply build up.

I'd strongly suggest that you stick to your boob for the first 6 weeks and get the supply going based on your LO's demands. Then once established express the odd feed or two for your OH to give. You'd still have to express when your OH feeds anyways as otherwise it will mess up the supply and demand from your boob in the early weeks. Its not like you can take time off from a feed as your boobs alter demand based on what is taken out of them. So if you express a feed and your OH does it, if you then don't express from your boob, your body will adjust accordingly and maybe not produce so much milk. As hard as the first few weeks are, if breastfeeding I'd say stick to the boob as far as possible, if not solely.

I'd personally not mix formula with breastfeeding unless you have real supply problems. Giving formula so your OH can do some feeds would again a) possibly cause nipple confusion b) upset LO's tummy if not able to digest the milk properly or it does not agree c) mess with your milk supply and cause problems there for you and LO.

I did try expressing at 3 weeks on advice from my HV as I had a *very* demanding baby and health problems since the birth and was a wreck. My LO had never had any problems latching etc and my supply was in abundance. However, I expressed about 2 feeds and thought to hell with this and gave up. I had to express when OH fed LO regardless, it didn't mean I got any extra sleep as LO wanted Mummy to cuddle him back to sleep and would not settle etc in basket... the list goes on. It was easier to feed him off my boob, cuddle and fall to sleep together.

Once the 6 weeks were up OH tried bottle feeding expressed milk but didn't actually find it very enthralling or bonding and said he got more from cuddling and holding our son and interacting with him than he did feeding him. He and I were more than happy we stick to boob feeding. I do express off some milk still and freeze in case its needed but otherwise I boob feed only.

As for being shy, invest in a shawl if you really can't feed in public. TBH I doubt you'll mind once LO is here. I certainly don't and am happy to feed out and about if need be. Most people take no notice.

What everyone else has said really....I still tend not to feed in front of friends or OHs parents, I take myself off to another room or find a parents room if we are out, but I do feed in cafes, parks etc, you just need the right combination of layers (vest and cardi/top) and a muslin or shawl and noone would notice. It gets easier to be discreet once LO has got the hang of it too and you arent messing about trying to get them to latch, so dont be put off if at first you think you will never be able to leave the house!

I am very shy too but I was even asking the midwife to check my stitches every time she came :oops: ...can hardly see a medical professional now without the urge to whip my knickers off lol :rotfl:

i dont mean mixing formula and breast milk i meant soley breast milk but into a bottle.

its more to do with shyness/public more than anything, i know once its here it will be different its just thats the most daunting thing for me, having people poking about down there, im not scared of labour, just the fact that people will be looking andpoking about down there.

i will breast feed i think, im just worried cause i know i could go to a mother and baby room, but what if where we are doesnt have one? could i just sit in a toilet cubicle? i know it sounds really really stupid but im unbelievably shy and just the thought of it makes me feel embarrased :oops: i know i will be different once its here, im just panicing over nothing i spose.

chelsea said:
i know i will be different once its here, im just panicing over nothing i spose.

yup :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i felt the same as you - really uncomfortable about feeding in public - not helped by the fact that connor found it so hard and would scream at me - turns out he couldn't latch effectively on my small nips; nipple shields saved us :wink: anyway, if people came to visit in the early days, i'd go off to our bedroom to feed, and if out and about i took bottles of expressed milk to feed him - connor's first feed was formula from a bottle as he could feed from my boobs to start with. but as others have said, try and avoid this in the first 6-8 weeks cos of nipple confusion - it might not be a problem for you (like it wasn't for us) but its not something you want to have issues with if you can help it.

once you get confident at bf-ing, you'll be able to do it anywhere i promise. people would see more flesh at a swimming pool or on a beach!

you're waaaay off the point where you should be worrying about it - chill and enjoy your pregnancy :hug: :hug: :hug:

but i dont like swimming or the beach for that reason :lol:

i dont wear skirts or shorts and im funny about not wearing a jumper/long sleeved top all the time :lol: ive always been like it :oops:

*chelsea is an oddbod*

Youre not odd hun, just try not to worry about it just yet :hug:
For what its worth, although they dont recommend it I expressed from 4 weeks because I had to leave Eva for a few hours at 5 weeks, back then it took a couple of goes to get enough milk for one feed but she was fine with a bottle and no teat confusion, now she has one bottle of EBM as day and the rest from me, its all fine, dont worry you will find a way that works for you :hug:

I breast and bottlefeed expressed breast milk and Austin has taken at least one bottle a day from day one at home and he was prem by 9weeks so the nipple confusion thing is nothing to worry about. If you want to introduce a bottle feed make sure you do it by week six as this is when they will start to find a change of feeding confusing. You can start from day one as long as you keep it to one bottle a day in the first 6 weeks. I recommend doing this at the 10pm feed as your husband can give it ad let you get an early night at the same time.
I too am not interested in feeding in public and find expressing means I am much more flexible. It's hard work though so be prepared, you spend a lot of time feeding and then aso have to make time to express, but it works for me. You sound like me and I think you'll be fine. Do whatever suits you - a sane Mum is a good Mum and you have to do it your way.

Enjoy!

B x

The problem with bottle/breast feeding is that you produce milk on demand so if your baby isn't drinking much of your milk (because you're replacing that breastmilk with formula), you wont be producing as much milk as if you are exclusively breastfeeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back