Is it ok to lose weight?

Miracle babe

Reaction score
Before I got pg I was on medication for arthritis which caused me to lose a LOT of weight and I could never eat more than a thimble full. Since getting pg I'm in remission and boy have I learnt to love my food, its been so great having an appetite I think I've gone a bit nuts and have put on far more weight than I should have. I'm really starting to stress now as after the baby arrives I've been told I will come out of remission and its not good for me to be carrying any extra weight. Is it ok for me to try and lose some of the extra? I'm confused and concerned and really kicking myself for being so stupid.
Thanks folks
xxxxxxxx
Stace

Hi there, I'm afraid you really aren't allowed to diet when pregnant but it is advised that you can start to eat more healthy straight away so some people do start to lose weight. You have to eat all the calories needed when pregnant for your LO but you can make sure they come from the most nutritious source eg wholegrains, fish, lean meat, fruit and veg. I'm sure if you start your healthy eating plan now you will have reduced the damage! Also if you have an appetite it is good to eat, we're pregnant and shou7ldn't deprive ourselves! If you are back on medication after you've given birth you will probably lose weight again won't you? I have found that I have really lost my appetite recently so maybe you will go through a phase like that too. I really hope you do not get the arthritis again though, sorry to hear you are a sufferer.

By the way I get regular emails from a site called pregnancy without pounds. You don't have to join but they still send really good tips each week on diet and excercise :D

Thanks for that Skatty hun I really appreciate it. I actually have a very healthy diet and include tons of fruit, veg, fish and whole grains, its the quantity and the extra chocs late in the evening while parked in front of the tv which have been my undoing :oops: . I've changed to skimmed milk and am having weetabix for breky, also am cutting out th chocs so really hope I can undo some of the harm.
As for the arthritis I figure we all have our cross to bear and I've lived with it so long its now part of who I am and I'll just keep fighting. As you say after the birth I'll be back on the stinking drugs and that will probably make my weight plummet again - see every cloud has a silver lining lol.

Thanks again Skatty
xxxxxxxx
Stace

Hey miracle babe,

Be careful about changing to skimmed milk as milk is of major benefit to babe, milk is one of the only sources of Vitamin D in our diet, I changed from skimmed to semi as it has been suggested that limiting milk intake can lead to low birth weight, see extract below:

"Mothers and health professionals need to understand that this dietary practice may restrict essential nutrients and negatively affect foetal development.”

Trust me by the time you get to thirty weeks you will be drinking pints of the stuff to try and calm the awful indigestion!

I know how you feel honey, I have arthritis is my neck and suffer from fibromyalgia, managed to loose a couple of stone prior to pregnancy and the symptoms calmed, been great throughout pregnancy but know I'm going to suffer after, what keeps me going is the thought of burning 500 calories a day whilst breast feeding - see there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Kat x

Had no idea about the whole versus skimmed milk thing, thanks for that will check it out with the midwife. Sadly because I have to go back on drugs as soon as the baby pops out it doesn't look like I'll be able to breastfeed but I'm seeing my rheumatologist on the 14th so hopefully will get some answers from her then.
Weight Watchers here I come LOL
XXXXXX
Stace

hey Miracle Babe your eating habits sound great, I think you will be fine and anyway I'll be joining you on the diet after I give birth. I am hoping to breastfeed because I am lazy and the thought of heating bottles in the night doesn't appeal. Good luck for the 14th x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back