Is it OK to go to gig when you're 8 months gone?

kaybee

Reaction score
I'm miles off yet, but thought I'd ask now...

Found out that The Killers will be playing near me next March and thought I'd have no luck trying to get tickets as every time I've tried I've not had much luck. But I tried anyway on the off-chance as soon as they went on sale... and got some - woohoo! I'm so chuffed!

Now, it's going to be just 5 weeks before my EDD, so I thought I'd be all grown-up and sensible so I booked seated tickets as opposed to standing for me hubby and a couple of friends, but now I'm wondering whether all the noise etc will be too much for LO?

Did anyone here go to a gig (seated or standing) when they were this far gone? Is it a stupid idea, or more a case of 'get out and do stuff while you still have the freedom'?! I've read a couple of stories online in which going to a gig in the last few weeks has put some ladies in labour :shock:

I'd think with seats you'd be fine. At least you can rest up when you need to.

TBH thinking back to how I was 5 weeks before LO arrived I was in no fit state to go to a gig, even one with seats. I say this as a) bump ache, back ache and size b) seats would be hard and not easy to get comfy on c) too sodding tired and d) its a long time to be in one place if standing or sitting, my legs would have found it hard work as would my back on a chair.

If you are feeling fit and well enough to go when the time comes I don't see any harm. If you feel that baby is kicking much more than normal or some such then maybe come out and away from the noise. I know lots of women go to gigs earlier in pregnancy but that close to your due date may mean increased action from baby. As to that being a good or not so good thing I cannot say.

Me and OH went and saw Rod Stewart (I know, I know :roll: !) when I was 32 weeks pregnant and it was fab! We'd booked the tickets before we knew I was pregnant and I was looking forward to a day out with OH before the baby came so we still went. Didn't actually occur to me not to. :think:

It was at Wembley and the seats were a bit small and uncomfortable but it wasn't really a problem. I kept pushing to the front of the toilet queue cos I very nicely told people that I couldn't possibly wait and everyone treated me really nicely. (Like they'd have dared to protest! :lol: ) The noise wasn't an issue at all and Roxy seemed to really enjoy it anyway!

The only thing I would say is that it was a long day :sleep: , what with the travelling and everything, and also to be aware that people can get quite drunk at these things so may not be very careful around you :x . But if you make sure you rest lots, and have someone on hand to fetch you food and drinks and protect you then there is no reason why you shouldn't have a last gig before LO arrives. :cheer:

Enjoy x

I wondered this as i wanted to go and see oasis this week. Everyone kept telling me i shouldnt though due to the volume (i didnt even think of that) Decided not to in the end and so glad i didnt as the travelling to london would have taken its toll!

Claire x

Ditto what Sherlock said. At 35 weeks I was knackered after going shopping at the supermarket for an hour. Those last weeks of pregnancy are truly exhausting.

I was desperate to book Westlife tickets but they were 3 weeks before my due date. I really wanted to go, but my mum and OH told me i shouldn't go. My MW told me i'd be pushing it too. But i was feeling fab at that time! I really wish i went! I'll let her know when she's older! Lol

i went at almost 8 months pregnant with hannah to see Jarvis cocker (pulp) i was standing and got right at the front.... i got some fiunny looks, but i know jarvis cockers music, knew it wouldnt be mad iykwim and knew id be absolutly fine. And i was.

ive just found my blog from at the time!

AND WHAT A BRILLIANT NIGHT IT WAS!

I spent the whole of my teen years following Pulp up and down the country, getting to see them live 10 times and meeting the band lots of times (meeting Jarvis 3 times) While at these gigs jarvis on stage has grabbed my hand, gave me a cigerate, a beer, ive poured water over his head etc - very up close personal stuff over the years. I last saw Pulp live in 2002 when i was 18. They split up shortly after and i thought that'd be it now. My years of waiting 7 hrs at the venue before the doors open, trying to blag my way into sound check, sleeping rough in London for one night cos i couldnt afford a hotel just to be at a pulp-fanclub members only gig - where well and truely over. lol. But last night i felt like i was 15 all over again! I got to the venue very early.... tho i couldnt convince the boyfriend to stay around 'that' long. But i made sure i was one of the first few in. Got right to the front (just like old times!) on the barrier. This might not sound that much to you lot, but im 7 and a half months pregnant! (pulp gigs have never EVER been rough i knew id be safe) I had to sit on the floor for the support band as i didnt want my back to kick in.... or even needing the loo when Jarvis came on.

Through the whole of Jarvis' set i didnt feel pregnant one bit! lmao, and as im in the third trimester that does not happen very often!.
To be honest, ive got the new Jarvis album but hadnt listened to it that often and it just wasnt growing on me. That and 'life' seemed to be in the way of me enjoying pulp/jarvis again. I drummed it into my head (the cd that it) over the weekend but still felt abit pissed that i didnt know all the words (backwards and sideways) like ive always seemed to have done when ever i saw pulp. Ive come away actually thinking that this was a good thing, i enjoyed this gig throughly and actually listend to every whisper and screech that jarvis made. And watched in awe. There was deffinalty somthing different about Jarvis last night, he seemed so energetic, emotianl and firey. Somthing that was certinaly lacking in the last couple of years i saw pulp live. I, back then, put it down to his age, last night prooved i was wrong.

To top the whole night, when Jarvis went off stage (before he comes on to do an encore) and came back with his regular cigerate and bottle of beer- he came over to me and gave me half of his beer. Just like he did when i was about 16. Absolutly amazing. Even if i couldnt drink it! Did he remember me hounding him back in the day? or did he just feel sorry for the 5ft pregnant one at the front? we'll never know.

you'll have a great time hun x

I'm going to a rock show on the 1st Nov and at that time I'll be 36w 2d... It'll be music from ac/dc, meatloaf, bon jovi etc and it'll be quite loud even though I've made sure that I'm not right near the speakers or the pyrotechnics!

I'm hoping that it WILL bring on labour!!!! :rotfl:

The theatre where the show is are aware of how pregnant I will be and have agreed to look after my labour bag while the show is on (just in case!)

I'm very lucky that the show is local to me so that travelling is kept to a minimum and that I'm close by to the mat unit should anything happen!

Gives a whole new meaning to 'rock' a bye baby! :dance:

Sarah xxx

I went to see Idlewild and Malcolm Middleton when I was 8.5 months gone (figured it would be a while before I got another chance) and they were fine, but not exactly raucous gigs! I'd got tickets for the Kings of Leon and gave that one a miss - was a bit worried about getting bumped, but we had standing tickets and I didn't think I'd manage to stand for that long. James seemed to not be too bothered by the noise.

i was clubbin when i was overdue so u should be fine, have fun!! :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks all, I think I'm going to still plan to go, and if I don't feel up to it at the time hubs can easily find someone else to go in my place (i'll be gutted if it comes to that though!).

Luckily it's in Nottingham, so it's local - in fact it's on the way to the hospital from my place. Only 10 mins away; I'm 35 mins away when I'm at home :lol:

Chocoholic - good thinking about taking hospital bag and checking they can look after it, I don't think you're normally allowed to take bags in so will check closer to the time. And I'll probably want it to bring on labour too as I'm really not very patient at all!

Woo hoo, roll on March!

I thought id post this which i found on the internet.. looks like its all ok:

Loud Noises During Pregnancy
"I'm pregnant and have tickets to a rock concert, but I'm concerned about my baby's safety. Can loud music harm his hearing? Is there any danger to listening to loud music in my car?"

A rockin' night on the town with friends and fun (alcohol-free, for you) can be a great way for a pregnancy woman to kick up her heels before your evenings (and every waking moment) become booked solid with diapers, nursing, and nurturing. But will the booming bass and screaming vocals be bad for the baby in utero? Probably not. At almost all concerts, the music won't be loud enough (or last long enough) to cause any damage to the fetus. Still, you might want to take a few precautions.

At about 24 weeks, your baby's outer, middle, and inner ear — including the cochlea, the snail-shell-shaped tube in the inner ear where vibrations are converted into the nerve impulses we perceive as sound — are well-developed. By 27 to 30 weeks, your baby's ear is mature enough to start to respond to the sounds that filter through to him or her. The sounds, of course, are muffled — and not just by the physical barrier of amniotic fluid and your own body. In his or her fluid-filled home, a baby's eardrum and middle ear can't do their normal job of amplifying sounds. So even sounds that are quite loud to you won't be for the fetus.

Of course, that's only true as long as the sounds aren't at the Def Leppard-level or don't last too long. A fetus' prolonged and repeated exposure to very loud noise — say, an eight-hour-a-day shift in an industrial workplace, where the sound level is more than 90 or 100 decibels (about the same as standing next to a loud lawnmower or a chain saw) — raises the odds of a baby suffering some hearing loss, especially at higher frequencies. Such prolonged noise exposure can also increase the risk of premature delivery and low-birth-weight babies. Extremely intense sound, 150 or 155 decibels (ever stand right next to a screaming jet engine?), can cause similar problems for the baby, although you'd have to sit in front row seats, next to the amps — and be at a really loud concert — to even get close to that intensity (you'll know because your own hearing will be fried).

If you still want to play it extra safe during your pregnancy, take a backseat. You'll enjoy the concert just as much from the middle of the amphitheater — or better yet, head back to the lawn seats — and you'll be certain the baby's ears are safe. As for music in your car, if you drive often and like your radio loud enough to shake other cars, you might want to turn it down a bit. Or wear headphones.

Have fun,

I am going to see Brian Adams next week and I will be 35 weeks - go for it girl!

I remember sitting in a barn at 39 wks - my OH was playing at a charity gig there and I sat behind the speakers and amps. I really wouldn't have been wanting to be standing up. Everyone thought I was mad, but I was hoping that the excitement might kick things off - it didn't. We had my hospital bag in the car too.

I went to see Goldfrapp last week (32 weeks pg) and it was very loud - baby kicked all the way through but it was a more chilled sort of music rather than rock I suppose..........

My last concert was Linkin park but then again i was only 6wks preg but I felt AWFUL then lol ie sickness but the concert took my mind off it!!

Id say GO pack in as much as poss now because when you have bubs you wont be able to be as carefree...

HAVE FUN!!! :hug:

I went to gigs (albeit local unsigned ones) quite a way into my pregnancy - the only thing that stopped me towards the end was lack of good gigs, and being fed up of being the only sober one and being pushed around all the time. And also at the time the pubs weren't non smoking.

If you're seated you'll be fine :) Go for it :) but do watch for people being drunk and clumsy, while it seems funny when you're carefree, it gets irritating when you're pregnant and nobody seems to notice or care x

I went to see Beck on my due date with Mason, but we had passes so were at the side of the stage. When the band asked when I was due and we told them "today" they ran a mile :lol:

I went to see Robbie williams at 35 weeks pregnant, i did have a seat though. I was really hoping the mere sight of him was going to put me into labour, alas not and i went full term!! Thoroughly enjoyed it though and whenever i went to the loo everyone always let me go first!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back