• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

is it bad luck to buy early????

mrsbrickelltobe

Reaction score
im paranoid im going to curse myself and something bad is going to happen as everyone keeps telling me its bad luck to have things too early???

im 17 weeks and in my house, had the pram delivered last week, set up the wardrobe and already have 18 dresses in it, four cardigans, three bonnets, vests/babygroes/tights/socks etc tec and my mother in law keeps telling me i ought to take it all up my mams as its bad luck etc etc
got me worried now!!

(even have te cotbed/changer/ottoman etc coming soon as i ordered it last week off ebay)

sureky nothing can happen just coz im prepared??!!

I brought my car seat at 8 weeks before i'd even had a first scan :oops:

Nah, I think it's a load of rubbish. I didn't have a single thing for my dd, not even a baby wipe, and she was born rather unexpectedly. This time I have everything and pg is going far better than last time. I think you should enjoy getting prepared.

There's no such thing as "bad luck" ie being cursed, people who try to scare you about that obviously have lots more time on their hands than we do, with all those things we have to prepare and buy before the birth.

I'm sure someone would tell me it's bad luck to do up the nursery now, but when am I supposed to do it? am i supposed to nip home from hospital to get the paintbrush out as soon as the final stitch is in?

what a load of big hairy balls.

excuse me :oops:

I won't buy or even look at anything until 20-24 weeks. But that's just me and I think that it's entirely up to the individual :D

I am waiting till I have had my 20 week scan but thats mainly due to the fact that I am going to find out the sex then I can go pink or blue mad! :rotfl:

I'm with hells on this one...best to be organised!

I have just gone for it and bought almost everything. We're about to move to a new house which needs a brand new kitchen, bathroom and conservatory so I didn't want to have all the hassle of buying baby things when we move in...so I've got most of the stuff already (plus we could afford to buy it...when we move in we'll have less money!!!)

My mam and dad have bought us a sterilizer already and a little cardigan and some booties and we have bought a blanket, but I am not buying anything else till after 20 week scan, not because of bad luck but want to know if it's a boy or a girl.

I hate all this superstitious rubbish - I reckon its just a way for jealous people to try and steal your joy....there is nothing wrong with being organised and spreading the cost.

Wish I was anywhere near as organised as some of you girls, our house is being redecorated at the mo (by me and OH so taking FOREVER!!) so I have nowhere to store anything, but the second the paint is dry in that nursery I will be off to the shops!! Cant wait! At this rate bean will be about 3 before it has any clothes tho!!! :rotfl:

Well my mum is adamant it is bad luck...but that's because of her history with miscarriages and babies born too soon... But it's superstition... And what you need to realise with superstitions is that it's the fear of the superstition itself that's more dangerous... If people believe they will have bad luck because of something they do, then they will convince themselves of it, and draw bad luck to them...

I personally believe that Friday the 13th is a lucky day for me...something good always happens to me on Friday the 13th, so while other people get all superstitious, I go out with a really positive attitude..and I think that's why I have good days (cos the rest of them are crap :rotfl: :rotfl: )...

As for not buying the baby stuff... that's more my paranoia that gets to me.. I'm paranoid (always have been from the day I fall pregnant to the day the baby is born) that I will miscarry or the baby will die. I refused to bond or accept I was pregnant with my daughter till she was placed in my arms, because I believed she would die...I still buy stuff though, just I buy stuff I could "sell" on if need be then by the important stuff around my due date. I don't want to be looking at baby things knowing my baby has passed away... That would break my heart. :cry:

But its a personal choice what you buy and when you buy it... :D Don't worry about the superstitions.

I got my BFP on Friday 13th!! I think its all to do with what you beleive!

I personally am not buying much till after 20-24 weeks - because if something bad happens then it will all be in the house and would make it harder for me to cope!

Im not keeping the travel systems at home - they are at mums - my partner is superstitious about the whole pram in the house thing, but he thinks anything else is fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back