• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is flying safe?

Andrianne

Reaction score
Those who remember my story, I decided I want to tell my family in person. Even if something goes wrong (mc) I can't sit around and wait for 12 weeks before I tell them. I'll be going in about 2 weeks so I'll be about 7 weeks by then.

Is it safe to fly? It will be overseas, a 9 hour flight (or 2 flights of equivalent flying time)

I read it's safe and it's just that your symptoms might get worse on board. I am guessing it's not the best for me right now but I don't have any other option, I'm starting to stress out and it's not good

So was wondering if anybody knows?

Thanks

i am sure i have read hun that they say not to fly in first tri and after 28 weeks but i know some airlines take ladies up to 36 weeks
found this hun
Flying in Early Stages of Pregnancy
Flying in early pregnancy is safe. However, during the first trimester, the main concern over flying is making your pregnancy symptoms, like morning sickness, worse. (You may want to make sure you have a extra few sick bags nearby, just in case.) And a mildly stuffed-up nose on the ground could become much worse once you’re in the air.

It depends, if you've had no problems so far in your pregnancy then it should be ok. It might not be pleasant if you have pregnancy symptoms however.

Information varies and I think you need to decide for yourself. If you have had no bleeding or problems like that, then why not. If you have had any cause for concern I'd discuss with your MW or Doctor first. If you are having a hard time symptom wise you might want to think a while about it. 9 hours is a long haul flight and first tri can and often is exhusting (to the point of feeling ill from it in some cases), so you should also consider how wiped out you may be with commute, flight etc, time difference etc. Then there are the other things, nausea, sickness, food issues, weeing, constipation etc. All can make a 9 hour flight unpleasant. But on the other hand you may feel fine and not notice. Its really impossible to say. If your PG symtoms have not really kicked in yet, you don't know which way you are going to go.

I did some digging and found these

Link 1 At the end they made the following recommendation

“Flying

Where travel is planned during pregnancy, 18-24 weeks in probably the ideal time. Airlines usually allow travel up to the 36th week, but after the 28th week a doctor’s letter may be required stating that the pregnancy is normal, the expected delivery date, and that the doctor is happy for the woman to fly. The policy of individual airlines should be checked.”

The Merck manual on Air Travel (3) states that uncomplicated pregnancy, through 36 week, is not a contraindication to air travel but specifies that high-risk pregnant women must be individually evaluated. They also state that pregnant women should wear seat belts below the abdomen, across the hips and that thrombophlebitis is a specific risk.

Merck also indicate that pregnant women are at higher risk of developing deep vein thrombosis and recommend frequent walks around the cabin and short-movement exercises while seated.

Link 2

Link 3

You also need to ensure you have decent insurance :)

Good luck :hug:

I flew to Lanzarote at 4weeks 6 days, and back at 5weeks 6days. The flight was just over 4 hours each way.

I think it's quite safe. Just remember you are more prone to deep vain thrombosis while pregnant so make sure you get up and have a walk about abit.

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that i flew when i was 7 weeks and everything is fine with me and my little shrimp.
I had a heavy bleed a couple of days before i was due to fly and my doctors and hospital words were along the lines of "Go and have a nice time, if anything is going to happen with the baby it will happen where ever you are, flying does not pose a risk so have a nice time"

mary, i read the same piece of info on the internet :) I know it's not the best idea but I am leaning towards going, I feel better while I'm actually planning this

sherlock, your links were helpful, thanks :)

Also thanks to the ladies who let me know they traveled and now doing well

It looks like we're both going around the 20th of March. Hopefully we'll also know how i'm doing by then (trying to get an early scan)

xxx

My doc told me it is fine to fly in the first two trimesters but not in the last trimester.

I am flying next week @ 7 weeks, again @ 12 weeks and again @ 23 weeks! I dont exactly feel comfortable about all the flying but have no choice... even at this, I am missing out on my friend's wedding, and a few hen parties... :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back