is an egg being released?

bev

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how you can tell if you are actually ovulating each month? I use ov sticks and always get a positive result, but is an egg actually being released? I have really long periods, at the minute it's about 43 days long!!! Came off pill in july and periods have shortened fron 54 days to avarage 40ish. Just wondering, but if we are not successful this month I'll go and see my dr.

Hope someone has words of wisdom, take care,

Bev x x

Hi Bev

Glad you had such a good hols. :D

I think I'm right in saying that if you are getting a positive on the ovulation sticks then you have the right hormones for ovulation and it's the hormones that release the egg. How far before AF are you getting the positive? If its 14 days then that's ok, if it's something different then the docs probably need to investigate.

It'd be really useful for you to track your temps. If you get a surge in temp that coincides with your positive on the stick then it's pretty clear that you are ovulating. If it's longer than 14 days from ovulation to AF and your temps remain high during that time, it could be that you are getting PG but it's not surviving for some reason. That said, it couldn't be happening every month.

I have heard that it can take up to 6 months for the pill to work out of your system and periods get back to normal, so I suppose it could be that although it seems like too long since you came off now :?

I'm sure I read ages ago about someone taking Agnus Castus (sp) or something like that to regulate her periods. I've a feeling it helped. Can anyone else remember that?

I'd go back to docs, like you say, and see what they think about your cycle length.

Hope that helps.

Helen

xx

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the advice, I do get a positive on the ov sticks and it's 14 days before AF so hopefully an egg is being released. I'll try the BBT too and see if it coincides hopefully it does. As you know, you start to think all sorts when ttc, thanks again for the reply.

Bev x x

Hi Bev,
I just thought I'd let you know that I also have a long cycle 40 days plus and got pregnant by pinpointing when I ovulated through the ovulation sticks. I'm sure if you keep pinpointing it will happen.

As for your irregular periods I have a friend that TTC for over 2 years and started taking ovulex which is a herbal supplement and fell pregnant the month she started to take it. It regulates your hormones so may make your cycle shorter and also increases your fertile time. You can read about it at www.ovulex.com. Its quite expensive but there ar ebay shops in the US that sell it cheaper.

Good luck! xx

It's great to have a thread about long periods. I have long ones too and it is frustrating. I did post something on the 30+ thread but I'll say it here too.

My periods have been varying lately: 46, 38, 39... It's really frustrating. I finally got the courage to go to the doctor last week. Based on the varied (and always long) length of my periods, plus being TTC for almost three years, she felt that I'm not ovulating every month.

I think I could tell that in my last cycle I didn't ovulate. I wasn't taking temperatures, but I was watching CM. It developed at the usual time (day 17 or 18 or so) and did get EW, but it never really subsided. I had EW CM long after I should have ovulated, almost all the way up to my period. So I sort of sensed it myself.

Bev, the good thing is that you're using sticks and noting that your period does come 14 days after your peak day. This is great. I am sure you're ovulating. If your body led up to ovulation, but didn't actually do it (as my body seems to do), your period wouldn't land exactly 14 days after that. It would take a lot longer to come. So this is good!

As for me, I'm having blood tests done on Day 21 and then 28 and probably 35, for the doctor to try to figure out (looking at hormones I guess!) if I ovulate this cycle. I'm very curious about it all.

Good luck all long cyclers! And all TTC!
have a great week-end

Hi

Scatty, I looked up the website you mentioned, will ask my dr about it if all does not go according to plan this month. I'm always a bit wary of stuff advertised like this, all natural stuff, like the slimming tablets and detoxing tablets that are all supposed to solve everything, but definately worth further investigation. Thanks for the advice.

Margaret, any more news with blood tests to check if your ovulating each month? I know exactly how frustrating it all is especially with long periods thrown in, it just prolongs everything. Take care hope you get some good news soon.

Take care,

Bev x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back