Iron tablets

maridunn

Reaction score
Has anyone else been prescribed iron tablets? I was given them at the hospital on monday and im not sure how many i should be taking? It says 3 a day on the box but it doesnt have my name or anything on it?

No but I would contact your GP or midwife and ask there advise, who advised you to start taking them as they should really say how many, you don't want to take too much as I think you can end up with bad toilet!!!

i was given them at the hospital by the doctor who i saw. think il give the doc a ring tomorrow. dont want to be taking too many!

to be honest im so bad at taking tablets im struggling with remembering to take one! i was prescribed them cos of something to do with my blood test results...bit anaemic i think.

I usually am very anemic- something to do with me being rhesus negative - so have iron tablets on an ordinary basis, they don't usually give you them until about 11weeks because taking them sometimes makes you feel sick and makes your sickness even worse. I can't wait to get mine back!!! If they are pregaday ones they are usually 3 a day.

Positives:
Gives you tons of energy, and combats signs of low iron - headaches, being cold, lethargy.

Negatives:
Does make you feel a bit sick, if this happens your midwife/GP might suggest going down to 2 if you tell them. When you poop it's black and causes constipation but the midwife/GP will give you senna if you ask. Sorry if it was too much information :lol:

every1 is diff i had them when i was 28weeks and not many.
unfortantly ur toilets are not a very nice trip just talk to doctor cus should always have ur name on i only had to take 2 a day. in some breastfeeding vitimin tablets they have iron in them.
but hope u got the right 1s and enjoy ur prgncy x

I've been prescribed them and I'm so glad I have because they have stopped the dizzy spells I was getting and I've found I have more energy. Mine are called pregaday and I take 1 a day. Best to phone your M/W or doctor and ask them about it, you don't want to be overdosing!
And as Carley says, they do turn your poo black! So don't panic if you find that happens!!
(sorry if that was TMI!)

Yeah sorry, I should have said I had 3 a day because i'm usually amemic anyway and this makes up for the amount you make for babs too, you only have 3 if it's really low. Ring your midwife or GP and they'll have it on record from the hospital that you are taking them and should tell you the dose, I don't think it's possible to over-dose, if you did you'd only get constipation and a bit of sickness, after my son was born i was on 5 a day!!!

these are just called ferrous sulphate tablets 200mg - equivalent to 65mg ferrous iron....thats what it says on the box.

for treatment of anaemia - one tablet 2-3 times a day.

yes i have noticed a rather nasty shade of poo! lovely! makes me want to puke more than normal!!!

Ferrous sulphate is what you usually have when you're not pregnant - that's the ones i have - you might wanna check that.

i thought it was all the same ???

i aint got a clue about this.... i looked somewhere online and it says its okay to use in pregnancy.... surely the doctor wouldnt have given me these if it werent okay?????????????????????????

I'm sure they're fine, they wouldn't have given you anything that wasn't fine, and they always state the dose on the bottle even if they don't tell you. I think i must have different stuff because i'm really anemic. Hope they make you feel better. And remember, if they do make you feel sick when they get into your system tell someone and they'll reduce the amount or give you anti-sickness tablets. :hug:

thanks for the help... the only thing i have noticed is the dodgy looking poo! lovely!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

lol yep poo is like big black rocks. but i was on f.s iron tablets during pregnancy and done no harm to me then a doc sed i need them after prg to as i look an but ive always been pure white and have 3 packets so i think im gna leave tht cus it will affect my bby poo as im breast feedin.

lol yep poo is like big black rocks. but i was on f.s iron tablets during pregnancy and done no harm to me then a doc sed i need them after prg to as i look an but ive always been pure white and have 3 packets so i think im gna leave tht cus it will affect my bby poo as im breast feedin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back