Introducing finger foods

Smile2day

Reaction score
I have been feeding my baby pureed/ textured food for about 6 weeks (she is nearly 7 months old) I am thinking about introducing finger foods as she's always trying to grab the spoon when I'm feeding her to put it in her mouth.

I'm looking for any advice on how to do this but in particular:
- Which foods are good to start with?
- What size do I cut the bits in to?
I'm scared incase I try a finger of cooked carrot etc and she manages to get off a big chunk and swallow it. :eh:

Thanks

Chip shaped bits are good. Broccoli is good to start as it has a hard stalk to hold but soft top to chew.

Also, try not to worry about choking, it's rare - babies have a good gag reflux and will retch and spit out well before a dangerous choking stage. Tip - gagging is noisey - choking is silent!

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Thanks for replying. I noticed some books say bite size and some say finger sized. Do they not bite off/ gum off too large a piece sometimes? I will try broccoli. Are there any other good beginner foods?

I've only started spoon feeds 2 weeks ago. Introduced puréed food in Wednesday this week. Yesterday I put 3 chip shape pieces of cooked carrot on his tray while DH and I ate dinner. He didn't eat them all but what did go into mouth was swallowed and no choking :) think I will continue to do this for a while. Just try something different each time.

Using Tapatalk. Can't see tickers.

I blw with my eldest and always did finger size so it's easy to hold cooked veg is good but I found toast was easier for them. I was told by hv when I purée fed my youngest (because I had to before 6 months) that it's best to do it at 7 months, the longer you leave it the harder it gets

Thanks for replying. I noticed some books say bite size and some say finger sized. Do they not bite off/ gum off too large a piece sometimes? I will try broccoli. Are there any other good beginner foods?

I found that finger sized was better cos the whole lot cant get swallowed iykwim, at first they dont tend to Bite off too much anyways.

xxz

Well I tried a finger of cooked carrot at tea time. She managed to get it into her mouth and broke off a bit about 1cm x 1cm. I panicked and took it out of her mouth as I thought she would try to swallow it all! Agghhhh!! Would she have been ok if I'd left it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back