Internal scan at 24 - 26 weeks

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Hiya.

I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with :)

I have had my normal scans, and apart from needing a GTT further down the line, due to my BMI being on the top end of the range, everything is running smoothly.

I’ve had a letter through from my hospital about another scan they do between 21 and 25 weeks (I am 23 at the mo), to measure the size of the cervix to see if I am in a high risk group for pre-term delivery.

It’s a stupid question I know, but does anyone know if you get to see the baby at this scan? It just makes the idea of having an external scan less daunting!! lol

Also, are they any risks with this scan? The leaflet I have been sent doesn't mention any?

Any info anyone has I would love to hear from them.

Sam
x

Oh, and my baby is due 24th December!! Fantastic timing, means i shouldn't need to cook christmas dinner this year!

i have never heard of anything like that i had a very high bmi but i never had anything like that

Going by the letter, it suggests only a few hospitals offer it because of it being a 'study'. I wasn't expecting any other scans after my last one.

My consultant at the hospital doesn't think I should have been referred for my bmi anyway. I’ve been told different things by different people at the hospital re my bmi.

I would say with it being an internal one, there is a very good chance of seeing the baby, although it does depend at what zoom they put the probe.......I have had 2 internal scans to view the baby, hence how I have an idea.

I would imagine they use the same scan as on me, but with a different zoom. There are absolutely no risks at all with this scan (I asked when I had mine) and it sounds more uncomfortable than it is..............and you are laying there as good as fully dressed once the probe is in, which takes seconds, and as I said, you don't feel it!

You have a gown on, lay on a bed have your legs in low stirrups, and the sonographer just needs to raise the gown to insert the probe then your gown is lowered and you can barely feel a thing!! It is all very dignified and I didn't find it the slightest bit embarassing at all, I was really impressed!

If you can break the ice with the sonographer and have a bit of a laugh, be cheeky and ask if it is possible to see the baby this way, act dumb, s/he may oblige you and show you then :wink:

Good luck hun :hug: xx

my friend had the same scan sorry babe but she said it was boring and seen nothing, if you ask nicely thought they might show you. i would if i was the doc and u were nice :D

thanks! Its just nice to be able to see baby again. My last scan baby had its legs shut so they couldn't really tell the sex (they said 70% sure it was a girl though). I recon i will ask them to check again :)

Thanks again!

Just incase anyone was interested, I had the scan. Quite dignified, and very low risk.

Only a few hospitals do this scan because of the costs involved, and it only used to be used as research.

By measuring the cervix they can tell if you are in a high risk group of spontaneous labor before 33 weeks (I have a 0.79% risk!). They also check the blood flow to the placenta to check for signs of preclampsia.

Didn't really get to see much of baby, apart from her already cute bum :)

Awwww glad things went well babe..........well now they have the info to keep a good eye on you :wink:

Take care babe xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back