Internal scan!! Help!

JoAnn&Aimee

Reaction score
Today I received my information pack from the hospital regarding the pregnancy as well as the scan. It had a rather lovely paragraph about the possibility of an internal scan if 'mother is overweight'. Now I don't like to admit it although I am aware of it but I am on the large side. (I was on a very successful diet until I got pregnant and had to stop! :evil: ) Anyway I am now petrified of getting an internal, I can barely stand getting a smear test!
Has anyone got one before??

yes hun i have i am a size 20 and it wasnt that bad to be honest they kept a blanket over my legs all the time and then inserted like a small vibrator with a condom on and then scanned, it wasnt at all painful and nothing like a smear they dont use the metal duck thing like they do with a smear, try not to worry you will be fine :hug:

mary70 said:
yes hun i have i am a size 20 and it wasnt that bad to be honest they kept a blanket over my legs all the time and then inserted like a small vibrator with a condom on and then scanned, it wasnt at all painful and nothing like a smear they dont use the metal duck thing like they do with a smear, try not to worry you will be fine :hug:

Eek! It doesn't sound very pleasent but neither does giving birth either! :lol: I shall prepare myself for it and hope to god my partner manages to get the day off work so I can blame him for this! hehe

honest hun its not bad at all maybe a little embarassing but you get used to that being pregnant and giving birth lol

I had an internal when I was 12 weeks pregnant with James cos I didn't have a clue how far gone I was. It was fine, slightly embarrasing but worth it when you see baby on the screen. You get a fantastic picture with an internal. My 10 week scan this time was external and the quality of the image is pants in comparison.
I think the internal is worth the embarrassment for the quality, I would have opted for one this time if they gave me the choice :D

I'm overweight and didn't need an internal at 12 or 20 weeks. I think its really depends on where your weight is and if your tummy is too big and its not baby growth then it might cause problems with a normal external scan.

However, I'd not worry too much about it.

And what others have said, once pregnant you kind of have to learn to get over all the embarrasment pretty quick. The way I look at it is, is that the people who are dealing with us are trained professionals and have seen it all before. And chances are there is little left out there to shock them :lol: And as you probably will never see the same sonographer - or whoever does your scan - again I'd not worry in the least.

Also depends what kind of padding - I am hugely overweight having not really lost between babies - oldest is 6 baby 4 due in April - but the sonographer said despite worrying when she saw me lie down I had the right kind of padding and she got a clear view.

have had internals with all 6 pregnancies early on and it wasnt too bad escept for the fact I do see the sonographers again and often socially as I am a doc and so is dh :lol: - try not to think of that at the time tho!!

I'm a good size 20 and I didn't have to have an internal scan and I carry it all on my stomach :oops:
My 12 week pics came out really clear and some of my friends who are slimmer than me commented on how they were clearer than theirs!
The MW has been able to feel everything too including fundal height at 16weeks.
Try not to worry about it hun.
Tip for your scan: make sure you have a full bladder!

Thanks everyone! I am starting to calm down about it all now. I will just cross that bridge if I come to it but seriously not liking the idea of people looking at my bits! :oops:

xjoann said:
Thanks everyone! I am starting to calm down about it all now. I will just cross that bridge if I come to it but seriously not liking the idea of people looking at my bits! :oops:

:hug: :hug:

Look at it this way. The times when someone has to it'll be a) to help with your baby which is at the end of the day going to make you a mother :) So well worth it :hug: or b) for something like a smear test that may well help save your life - again another very worthy reason, even if it means 5 minutes of awkwardness, it could be those 5 minutes that save your life

Good luck with the scan and chances are you'll be fine and won't need an internal at 12 weeks along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back