Integrated Prenatal Scan

stace914

Reaction score
(IPS)

i dont know if they offer this in the UK, but here in Canada we get a scan and blood work done at about 13 weeks to test for the birth defects down sydrome and spinobifeda.

i am going to get the scan but i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on a positive test?

it's a touchy subject but was wondering if you would terminate the pregnancy if the results came back positive, or if you would even get the test done at all?

Where are you from hun if you dont mind me asking :) ? i live in Peterborough Ont! i actually declined my test scan as i did with my first pregnancy too. My baby will be my baby no matter what. OH agrees also. But not everyone does and most women im guessing would want to make sure everythings ok/ The MW said i have a very low chance of defects as im young and no family history at all so that reasures me a little. but no, i dont think termination would ever be an option unless baby would suffer. i suppose its really about personal choice :)

I have just been through this myself, we talked about it and said if it came back as high risk as in 1/100 or less we would seriously discuss what to do although we still wernt really sure how we would have felt till it happened.
Luckily it wasnt a problem as we had a very low risk result.
Good luck with the test :hug:

i dont have the tests as it would make no difference to us i would be unable to terminate its a personal choice xxxxxxx

Hello :wave:

I will be having the test at 13 weeks. Either way, it will not change my feeelings on the pregnancy. If I come back as high risk it will give me time to learn about children with Downs as I am ashamed to say, I dont know too much about the condition.

Good luck with your test :hug:

thats a good point actually sally hun although midwife told me yesterday they wont do the tests on me as im having twins not sure why xxx

i think you girls have to remember this is not just a test for downs, it your results came back high risk for other defects too you have to weigh up how disabled/deformed/handicapped this baby will be and, if its is just downs then that is one thing but what if it has downs and spina bifida and andrews etc will you still feel the same?
Im not judging just not sure everyone thinks of this.

i think of everything believe me i have buried 1 child i would not termiate another

rach said:
i think of everything believe me i have buried 1 child i would not termiate another
im so sorry to hear of your loss, i completely understand where you are coming from but just thought there are people out there that maybe havnt thought about it a much as you have, as i said im not being judgemental or saying what is right or wrong.

I declined all screening tests. The reasons being that you don't get a conclusive answer with just the screening tests, you just get a 'high' or 'low' risk. So you could end up worrying over nothing. Even if you got a 1 in 10 chance of disability that's still only 10% chance that's something wrong, and you need invasive tests such as CVS or Amnio to find out whether your baby actually has something wrong. And as the invasive tests carry a risk of miscarriage (however small the risk is still there) I would not choose to have them carried out.

Even with things like Spina Bifida which they can tell from scans you can never be 100% sure that it is as severe as the doctors may think.

I personally would never abort a baby no matter how disabled they were likely to be. I think it's up to me as the mother to give that child the best shot at life they can. This is my personal opinion and I am not attacking anyone who has made the decision to terminate, I completely understand why people do it and sympathise completely with the situation as I can only imagine how difficult it is.

maybebaby said:
I declined all screening tests. The reasons being that you don't get a conclusive answer with just the screening tests, you just get a 'high' or 'low' risk. So you could end up worrying over nothing. Even if you got a 1 in 10 chance of disability that's still only 10% chance that's something wrong, and you need invasive tests such as CVS or Amnio to find out whether your baby actually has something wrong. And as the invasive tests carry a risk of miscarriage (however small the risk is still there) I would not choose to have them carried out.

Even with things like Spina Bifida which they can tell from scans you can never be 100% sure that it is as severe as the doctors may think.

I personally would never abort a baby no matter how disabled they were likely to be. I think it's up to me as the mother to give that child the best shot at life they can. This is my personal opinion and I am not attacking anyone who has made the decision to terminate, I completely understand why people do it and sympathise completely with the situation as I can only imagine how difficult it is.

Im the same! i declined the tests as I would not follow on to have the amnio! So there is not much point in having them!

I would never abort even if this baby was severly desabled, ive spent too much time and had too much heart ache making this baby for the past 14 months theres no way i would give this little life up, it will be loved no matter what!!

It is an awful thing to think about but we all have to do it.
I've decided im going to take the test but could not terminate.
If the test came back that im at high risk it would just give time to prepare myself and do the neccesary research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back