induction worries

towers

Reaction score
I am likely to be induced as fuid level around the baby is low and I have gestational diabetes. I am 37 weeks now and have another scan booked for tomorrow when i think I will be given a date. Can anyone tell me what usually happens during an induction and is there anthing I should be asking about tomorrow. Is it more painful to be induced than a natural labour etc, i'm new to all this so amy info would be greatly received :)

:wave: I'm due to be induced this friday and have been told what to expect by my Dr. I will go in on fri night at 6pm and they will insert a prostaglandin pessary into the vagina which will hopefully have the effect of softening the cervix and bringing on contractions. The Dr. told me I can go out and have dinner near the hosp and wait for things to kick off. They will keep monitoring me over night and if nothing happens they will insert another prostaglandin pessary in the morning and that should start the contractions. If it doesn't then they continue again 6 hrs later with another one (but hopefully no. 1/2 should work). Dr. has said that the prostaglandin inuduction should not make things any longer or more painful. I know some hospitals use oxytocin drips to induce as well but I don't know too much about this as my DR. doesn't use this method. Don't worry I know loads of people who have been induced and had lovely, natural deliveries. My mum had to be induced for all 3 of us and she had 3 positive experiences :D

i was induced at 37 weeks, first of all baby was fine, weighed 8lb 7oz so a really healthy baby boy!!!!!
it depends how they induce you, sometimes they insert a tablet in to your cervix to try and soften it, sometimes they use a gel i think it depends on your health service, they also do a sweep to try and get things moving, thats where they insert their fingers in to your cervix and wriggle them, this usually brings on a show, if the first lot of gel/tablet fails to bring on labour they will examine you and see what is happening if you are dilating or not and insert another tablet/gel 6hours ish later this is repeated 3 times if no sign of labour they give you a rest day, then repeat the process again!!!

hope this is of some help, if you have any other questions pm me :)

oh one more thing to add is that the only difference with an induction is that there is an increased risk of a cesarean depending on how engaged the baby is and how ready your body is for labour. The risk increases from about 10% to 20%. I am practically at my due date and baby is engaged so have been told that I shouldn't end up needing one but the risk is still increased. You may want to ask about this.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the info, I will let you know what happens when I return from the scan and appointment tomorrow :)

I was induced 13yrs ago with my first....they used the oxytocin drip......which i won't lie was hell..... pure agony, compared with all my natural births....but times have changed and after discussing this with KJL i was really pleasantly surprised......

So don't worry too much i'm sure you'll be fine :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: Ohh good luck Towers.

Im going throught the same but my baby is breech, so they are keeping me going as close as poss to 37wks and then i suppose i'll have a c section or they'll try and turn him which im not looking forward to :?

u have to be monitored more when induced , i didnt actually need the pressary but i did go on the drip to bring on contractions and this was erm , difefrent as i went from no contractions to them being 3 mins apart as soon as they started which wasnt so nice ! but did mean that they started at 8 pm and id given birth by 12.31 am lol

G3M said:
u have to be monitored more when induced , i didnt actually need the pressary but i did go on the drip to bring on contractions and this was erm , difefrent as i went from no contractions to them being 3 mins apart as soon as they started which wasnt so nice ! but did mean that they started at 8 pm and id given birth by 12.31 am lol

I had heard that the drip brings on really sudden contractions. I have heard it can be a bit painful :think: I think it's the prefered method when you are quite a distance from your due date though or a last resort if the pessary induction continuously doesn't work. I hope the pessary works for me :D

Talking about induction, when Tiggy was being induced, I noticed something that was engraved in the middle.

The tablet was on the table and it had the word "UPJOHN"

It certainly made me and everyone else in the room laugh as the Midwives have never noticed.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back