inducing labour with sex...

leckershell

Reaction score
This is dumb, but why does sex induce labour if you're overdue or nearly due?

Is it the movement, or the muscles that I would use? Or is there something in the juice?

Sorry, it's a really stupid question but I really want to know :oops:

Hi leckershell,

There's a hormone in sperm called prostaglandin, which is the same in the prostaglandin gel (pig semen :puke: ) that they use to artificially induce you in hospital.

That's what we were told at NCT class last weekend.

Hope that helps (I'm still reeling from the fact they use pig semen :puke: to induce you in hospital!!!!)

Valentine xxx

Woo :cheer:

Yeah sorry, I just sat and thought about it last night and wondered why it worked lol and I know I wasn't the only one who didn't know cos I asked it in the chat room earlier on :)

you mean I spent eight hours being injected with pig semen.......... ?????? :puke: :puke:
Rolls over and faints...........

Sammystar said:
you mean I spent eight hours being injected with pig semen.......... ?????? :puke: :puke:

I think it's only the gel that's pig semen, but not 100% sure.

Gross anyway!

x

semen contains prostaglandins which soften the cervix and orgasms make oxytocin which brings on labour. :)

Apparently there is also some connection with the hormones released when you have an orgasm. So you dont necessarily even need to have the sex :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OMG, PIG SEMEN?? :puke: :puke:

I'd rather use my OH's (although it hasnt worked as yet :wall: )

valentine said:
Sammystar said:

I think it's only the gel that's pig semen, but not 100% sure.

Gross anyway!

x

Thank god for that! I'm never going to recover from this otherwise!!!

Even so, pig semen on your cervix!!! aaggghhh! :puke: :puke:

I was told it was bull semen! :rotfl: didn't do a thing for me , still needed the oxytocin drip! We tried sex loads to get labour going, never worked but OH wasa happy man :roll: . Do know a few girls it has worked for though.

My waters went within half an hour and OH didnt go errr that far so nothing to do with the hormones (in my case) In fact he never went *that* far after we had the babybond scan at 18 weeks :think:

omg pig semen?! they put pig semen up me?! nobody ever told me that! eugh gross I'm not impressed!! :puke: :shakehead:

It worked for me i was 39 weeks and we did it at 12pm and my waters went within 2 hours.

soexcited said:
It worked for me i was 39 weeks and we did it at 12pm and my waters went within 2 hours.

I need inspirational stories like this... I think next time Im gonna lie with my legs in the air for a few hours afterwards to avoid losing any :rotfl: :rotfl:

tangerinedream said:
soexcited said:

I need inspirational stories like this... I think next time Im gonna lie with my legs in the air for a few hours afterwards to avoid losing any :rotfl: :rotfl:

And by that time he'll be ready for more :lol:

I found this on a website when I was overdue (read the bit I put in bold!!!):

Sex

Sex as means of getting labour started is thought to work in three ways: firstly the movement may help to stimulate the uterus into action; secondly, sex can trigger the release of oxytocin, the 'contraction' hormone; thirdly, semen contains a high concentration of prostaglandins which help to ripen, or soften, the neck of the womb (cervix) ready for it to dilate when labour starts.

Is it safe?
Sex is safe as long as your waters have not broken. Once this has happened, making love may increase the risk of infection. You should also avoid sex if you have a low-lying placenta or have had vaginal bleeding. Men often feel uncomfortable making love to their partners with a baby so obviously in the way but the baby will not know what is happening and will not be harmed.

Does it work?
Not enough studies have been done but, if nothing else, it will take your mind off the waiting.

How do I try it?
At this stage in your pregnancy sex is easier said than done. Try spoons, with your partner entering from behind or use the bed as a prop: your bulge isn't an obstacle if you lie on your back at the side or foot of the bed with your knees bent, and your bottom and feet perched at the edge of the mattress. Your partner can either kneel or stand in front of you. Alternatively, giving your partner oral sex may work better. It is thought that prostaglandins are absorbed more efficiently through the gut than through the vagina. (Note: you may prefer to keep this piece of information to yourself.)

I still went 7 days over!!!

Alternatively, giving your partner oral sex may work better. It is thought that prostaglandins are absorbed more efficiently through the gut than through the vagina. (Note: you may prefer to keep this piece of information to yourself.) [/b]
[/quote]

OMG :rotfl: :shock: :oops:

Never kneww that one!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER