In a Dilemma

MissGobby

Reaction score
the thing is, at work, they are going to make one of 3 of us redundant (i think we find out who next week) BUT the thing is....they are wanting me to do admin jobs such as lifting and moving heavy things about when things have been delivered....like now, there are 5 hoovers (heavy ones) sat in reception, now i should be moving them but i dont want to do anything strenuious (spel?) but i dont want to tell them im pregnant yet as i dont want it to affect the choice who they make redundant.

what shall i do?? :(

oh tricky :think:

.......could you make out you have hurt your back maybe. My back killed in early pregnancy even before I knew I was pregnant.

i would tell them hun at the end of the day your baby is more important

Actually employees being pregnant really scares HR people - I know when I was working in an operational role if someone was pregnant and we had to make redundancies we would be very careful - if they could at anyway evidence that the decision had been made due to the pregnancy there is not a limit for compensation!! More often as not we would not select a pregnant employee for that very reason. :D

reallyoldmum said:
Actually employees being pregnant really scares HR people - I know when I was working in an operational role if someone was pregnant and we had to make redundancies we would be very careful - if they could at anyway evidence that the decision had been made due to the pregnancy there is not a limit for compensation!! More often as not we would not select a pregnant employee for that very reason. :D

I was going to say something like that. :hug: there exactly the same where i work.

I agree with ROM. They cannot be seen to be choosing you due to your pregnant state and if it looks at all like that you have a good case. It will work more in your favour then not to tell them as they will be too scared to choose you unless they have very obvious firm reasons why you over other staff. Also you must put your pregnancy first and not put your baby at risk, so the best thing is to be honest.

I know of an employment law company who offer a free advice call for anyone concerned about how their employer is treating them or might treat them.

0870 756 2929

Workplaces are required by law to do things like "risk assessments" for pregnant women and there are lots of protections in place to make sure you don't get made redundant because you are pregnant.

That line will give you free advice and not ask you too many details at first, but if you need in depth advice they will tell you that it becomes chargeable (at which point you can of course decide).

Dawn

I think seek advice on it as posted above if you are unsure :)

TBH lifting a heavy hoover is something I do at home. I cart it round the house, up the stairs, down again and so on. I did all that in first tri also. Plus lifting quite a bit more weight wise. There are reasonable weights I lift even now.

I never treated myself with kid gloves in first tri (or second or third :lol: ). Just accepted there were limits (like hauling straw bales and 25kg sacks of feed across the yard 10 times over) but I still would lift them, just not as far and in different ways. I felt life could not stop because I was PG. Otherwise it was 9 long months for me.

Even when working I was still moving furniture, beds and so on and never minded. I was careful and if I felt it was too much I left it.

And ditto what midna said about legal limits and more likely to hurt yourself than baby.

As others have said, when you're pregnant it becomes very difficult for employers to make you redundant...I would tell them for sure. Just explain that you are telling them early due to the lifting etc.

Personally I do still shift quite heavy things about but I was more careful in first tri and if I were in your situation with the threat of redundancy then I would def. tell them. There's no advantage in not telling them.

Also to add as told to me by my GP, MW and also a doctor friend, its not so much what you lift as *how* you lift it. If you are lifting in the correct way, most things, unless extremely heavy or awkward shaped should be fine.

My MW said I was more likely to put my back out than do any harm to the baby from lifting things or bending over incorrectly :roll: :lol:

the thing is, at work, they are going to make one of 3 of us redundant (i think we find out who next week) BUT the thing is....they are wanting me to do admin jobs such as lifting and moving heavy things about when things have been delivered....like now, there are 5 hoovers (heavy ones) sat in reception, now i should be moving them but i dont want to do anything strenuious (spel?) but i dont want to tell them im pregnant yet as i dont want it to affect the choice who they make redundant.

what shall i do?? :(

oh tricky :think:

.......could you make out you have hurt your back maybe. My back killed in early pregnancy even before I knew I was pregnant.

i would tell them hun at the end of the day your baby is more important

reallyoldmum said:

I was going to say something like that. :hug: there exactly the same where i work.

I agree with ROM. They cannot be seen to be choosing you due to your pregnant state and if it looks at all like that you have a good case. It will work more in your favour then not to tell them as they will be too scared to choose you unless they have very obvious firm reasons why you over other staff. Also you must put your pregnancy first and not put your baby at risk, so the best thing is to be honest.

I know of an employment law company who offer a free advice call for anyone concerned about how their employer is treating them or might treat them.

0870 756 2929

Workplaces are required by law to do things like "risk assessments" for pregnant women and there are lots of protections in place to make sure you don't get made redundant because you are pregnant.

That line will give you free advice and not ask you too many details at first, but if you need in depth advice they will tell you that it becomes chargeable (at which point you can of course decide).

Dawn

I think seek advice on it as posted above if you are unsure :)

TBH lifting a heavy hoover is something I do at home. I cart it round the house, up the stairs, down again and so on. I did all that in first tri also. Plus lifting quite a bit more weight wise. There are reasonable weights I lift even now.

I never treated myself with kid gloves in first tri (or second or third :lol: ). Just accepted there were limits (like hauling straw bales and 25kg sacks of feed across the yard 10 times over) but I still would lift them, just not as far and in different ways. I felt life could not stop because I was PG. Otherwise it was 9 long months for me.

Even when working I was still moving furniture, beds and so on and never minded. I was careful and if I felt it was too much I left it.

And ditto what midna said about legal limits and more likely to hurt yourself than baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back