I'm changing to powder...Opinions please.

NIE

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just wanted to say that due to the increase in the cost of living, I have made my decision to start buying SMA powder instead of readymade. This will save a great deal of money and won't take that much longer to prepare as DS only has 4 bottles a day.

The tin says that I can make it up in advance and store it in the fridge, but I thought that was a big no no. When I used powder in the begining, I added the powder to the wated when needed with a powder dispenser.

Do you think it would be ok for me to make up a days worth of feeds and sore them in the fridge?(as long as I was still steralising the bottles)

Thanks xxx

Thats what we do....make up that day's bottles & store them in fridge. However, OH has been reading recently that it is unsafe, as bacteria can start to grow :think:

We have been doing it like that for 4 weeks now and had no problems though....

I don't know.....we can't do anything these days without bacteria and things creeping up!! :doh:

I have been doing it since he was a week old...!

I make up 5 and keep them in the fridge, that covers us for a 24hour period.

I make the bottles with freshly boiled water left to cool for about 20mins. This helps kill all the bateria in the powder... vs putting the powder in room temp water then feeding, as any (if there is any :? ) bacteria does not get killed this way...

Do what you find easyest, I have tried all different ways along the way, and found making them up and whacking them in the fridge to be the easyest.

i keep the bottles filled with cooled boiled water on the counter at room temp an just add powder when needed. Fi is 12 weeks an we've not had probs. she takes it am toom temp an we use dispensers/pots when out.

sorry for lack of punctuation, i'm feeding bubs x

We only started using formula after 6 months and I used to mix up the feeds with preboiled water kept in sterlised bottles, and just top up with fresh boiled water to get to the right temp. We never had a problem doing it this way, but she was quite developed by then. However, having read some of the comments on here re bacteria and sterlising the milk, I did it the other way around and added a small amount of boiling water to the milk, and then topped up with the preboiled and cooled water. This had the advantage of being as quick as boiling the kettle, but also sterlizing the milk. I never checked with the HV or anything, but thats what I did and we never had a problem.

When we first switched to formula we were making up each feed as it was needed, the hv then came round and said that although oficially that was what she had to recommend that we could follow the nhs leaflet on bottle feeding, this says that feeds can be safely stored in the fridge for 24 hours and out of the fridge for 4 hours. We now make up a whole days worth of feeds at a time and have been since Jessie was 2 weeks and have had no problems.

We were making up bottles as and when Dylan needed them but after we started using colief (for his colic) it was virtually impossible for us to make the bottles up as and when as you need to let the colief 'work' for at least half an hour before you feed him. As we were demand feeding and couldn't predict when Dylan wwould wwant a feed we couldn't do it that way.

Therefore we now make a days worth of bottles and store them in the fridge. We haven't had any problems (touch wood!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back