Ill and on additional maternity leave

muppetmummy

Reaction score
My paid ordinary maternity leave finished 2 weeks ago. I was originally planning on returning to work after xmas as although I'm entitled to an extra 3 months off unpaid I can't afford not to have any money coming in.

I've now been signed off work with PND, my doctor has given me a sick note for the 3 weeks over xmas and I have to go back to him after xmas if I need another (which I think I will).
I don't know where I stand now with regards to work, a couple months ago I spoke to my boss and said I was planning to return after xmas, she said to put it into writing what hours I was able to work and she'd look into whether they could give me those hours. I never got round to doing that though as I was admitted to hospital.
So I now have no formal return date other than 1st March when my additional maternity leave runs out.

My question is can I claim sick pay from my employer even though my maternity leave hasn't officially ended (I'm supposed to give 28 days notice to return in writing), and if I can't claim SSP from them is there anything else I can claim? Or would ending my maternity leave then going sick straight away without returning be an option? I've got a months holiday to take still.
My employer only pays basic statutory sick pay, I don't get allocated any sick days on full pay.

I hope all that makes sense! My employer is notorious for trying to diddle people out of there holiday entitlement so I feel I can't trust them. When I was pregnant I never got a risk assessment and I started maternity leave being owed 3 days holiday as they said they we too short staffed to let me take the days off in the couple months before I left.

you really need to get it in writing when you are going to return to work, if you are sick AFTER your maternity leave ends then your employer has to treat you as being back at work and normal sick provisions would apply. you could ask your employers if they'd consider taking into consideration that you were sick/hospitalised and couldnt notify them earlier but I dont think they have to legally accept it.

If the employee cannot return to work at the end of her maternity leave because of illness she should be treated as back at work and on sick leave. She should comply with your normal sickness procedures

i hope that you get it sorted

if u have a sick note , i think u can claim incapasity beneift if your not being paid by your work ? look into it hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back