ideas how to entertain a 13 month old

Becky&Willow

Reaction score
i really struggle with stuff for me and willow to do during the day and i am really worried that she gets bored doing the same thing day in day out.
money is non existant so it need to free, i already go to mother and baby groups im thinking more stuff we could do when we are at home all day.

thanks in advance.

I worry about this too!

Some of the things we do are scribbling with wax crayons, painting (can be very messy!!), singing (he will have me sit and sing for hours!!!). He loves to sit and read with me too (well I read obviously! :lol: ). We sit and build towers with his bricks and he knocks them flying, now the weather is a bit nicer we spend a lot of time in the garden and he has his swing and slide and I take his rocker, trampoline and ball pool out there too.

I worry he gets bored of doing the same things too! Alot of the time though he wanders off to do his own thing and would rather have a bit of time to play alone so I think maybe I AM boring him! :lol:

I think they are so simple at that age. Or maybe its just Nathan. I know I probably have it easier in some ways cos Aimee and Nathan spend a lot of time playing together but Nathan loves to go for a walk to a duck pond or even the library and he loves just playing out in the back garden with a ball or car. He likes to scribble with a crayon and he loves to play rough, getting chucked around ect. He loves going to the park too although hes not that interested in the swings and slides he just like to wonder round doing his own thing while he has his freedom.

I know my LO is a bit younger than yours but here's the types of things we do, obviously you have a bit more scope with things like crayons which we can't use yet (he'd eat them!).

Free things we do: We go for walks, sometimes just around the village, sometimes to the lakes to feed ducks, sometimes over to the farm to see what animals are around or stroke the horses. We do songs/games/singing/reading together, attend toddler group (Wednesday mornings...ok that costs £1 actually!!) but thats 2 hours where he loves watching the other kiddies and joining in. We go to the park and he loves the swings. We've been out in the garden a lot the past fortnight too, just exploring the grass and daisys seems ultra ammusing to him, or we'll walk around and sit in different parts of the garden where there's a new tree to explore or a hill instead of flat etc. DS also likes to peek through the bushes and 'talk' to the boy next door if he's out playing. We'll take the rocking horse, ball pool, walker etc in to the garden too. We visit friends with babies of similar ages to play or on rainy days we just stay home together with our toys and sometimes I might pop the television on for a few minutes too on the baby channel or something.

By 13 months you can add more to that, drawing, simple crafts, baking things like rice crispie cakes or have her help with say mixing the dumpling ingredients together if your doing stew or what ever. I'm sure if you have a local farm or something they wouldn't mind (if you asked) if you fed the horse a carrot or watched the chickens etc - so much costs money though, i.e. Friday we do swimming lessons, but you can borrow library books on things like toddler crafts/baking/activities etc and there are always suppliments in the local newspapers saying about local things to visit. Museums etc tend to be free entry which could be an idea? Go look at the big dinosaurs or something?

Will be interesting to see others suggestions on this too.

ETA: Also we'll go down to the beach every other weeeknd or so. It's half pebbles, half sand so even on colder days it's fun to explore but again it's a change of scenery and something different for LO to see, do and explore. Were fortunate also to have a local steam railway which we visit and the national trust have some great sites, i.e. windmills that are usually free to look at.

thanks for all the ideas i wish i had a garden there would be so much more we could do.
will have do start finding things to do because i feel so quilty all the time that i am boring her.

Awww I didn't know you never had a garden....ok so do you live near a local park? It would be just as beneficial to play on the grass there, they have dasies and sticks just the same, I wonder, perhpas make a packed lunch up and turn it into a huge adventure with a story to go along with it etc. Is there a lake, pond, stream, river near you? There always good for entertainment or a bus ride to the seaside or something? I have no idea where you live but I'm sure you can come up with something. Oh and sounds strange but you can always ask in a local tourist information office too for ideas for daytrips with kiddies etc.

i do have a local park but i wont be letting willow crawl around in the grass as it is not a very nice park, i have a nicer park which is a short bus ride with a lake and swings etc. just gotta wait for the weather to improve :roll: .
i live in Romford and it is a built up area, im sure as soon as the weather turns there will be loads more to do i do have a balconcy which is quite a nice size so willow will be able to play there its ust it is concrete although we have brought some foam play mats fro ELC to put out there.
cant wait til willow can talk then she can tell me what she wants to do. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back