I want to quit smokin but...

Barmi_Brummeh

Reaction score
I've been smokin for 5 years, ive tried to quit before, when i found out i was pregnant, but the thing is im alergic to the adhesive on the patches and the gum makes me sick. I really want to quit smokin but the doctor, midwife, and someone from the NHS quit smoking thing told me that they are the most affective ways of tryin to quit...

anyone got any other suggestions? :(

I went cold turkey, thought it was best way as didnt want to then wean myself of the patches etc.

It has been hard and I admit I have had a couple of crafty ciggies but I see it as a couple of ciggies in the last 21 weeks is better than 20/30 a day.
You can only try and if you want it enough then I am sure you'll suceed. I also had nausea so didnt feel like smoking from about week 7-12 which really helped.

GOOD LUCK

Hiya

I would ask your doc about the gum or the inhaler thing.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

A friend of mine found that it was easier after she took up knitting because it gave her something else to do with her hands.

hey, i was smoking for about 4 years and i loved it :D i would smoke about 10 a day with out fail......

but after i found out that i was pregnant... it took me about 3 weeks... it was hard but I'll tell you the one thing that mad me stop

i was really stressed out that day, after just finding out and being kicked out of college, so i brought a box of fags and i got one out and smoked it then i thought to myself... i shouldn't take my stress out on my child.. so i threw it away... and the whole box i smoked over the week... which i never do :shock:

oh and the fact that it tasted like sh*t

so i went cold turkey haven't smoked in a looooooong time and i'm very pound and happy with my self... it is hard but you've just got to do it :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

good luck and keep the fight up go cold turkey :hug:

I'm using Microtabs(nicorette) at the mo and they work better than the gum or patches did for me

The thing that did it for me is a bit graphic.......................................all the babies i know whose mothers smoked are now very aggressive, bad tempered babies and were all born slightly underweight.
Also i was reading What to Expect When You're Expecting and it said that when you inhale a cigarette, your womb fills with smoke and the baby makes coughing and spluttering gestures. Put me off straight away, i quit at 8 weeks with this one and straight away with my other 2. I felt so guilty.
I know first hand how hard it is to quit, and if you cant manage quitting, cut down on how many per day and the strength. Good luck and keep us posted, you've made the first move by saying you want to quit :clap:

I didn't use anything I just kept thinking that if I smoked it would be hurting my baby which did the trick. If you need something you can get inhaler things that look a bit like cigerettes and gum. I am glad I didn't smoke now because it also increases the risk of cot death if you smoke or someone smokes around you all of the time when pregnant and trust me you will worry about that enough without the extra worry that you smoked through pregnancy.

I didn't use anything either - I think if you really want to stop then you can and you won't get a better incentive than a baby growing inside you. My MW told me that smoking can cause damage to the placenta which your baby feeds from which means it can slow down your baby's development and there is also a higher risk of miscarriage. Sorry if that's sounds a bit harsh but it's reality and that's really what it took for me to stop. I've already had a miscarriage before and still blame myself for that (even though it wasn't my fault, just one of those things) so I'll do anything I can to make sure my baby is healthy.

Midna,

I don't think that kind of judgemental attitude is going to help anyone! BB has come here for support, not a telling off or a suggestion that she has no "right" to be pregnant. I'm sorry, but your post incensed me so much that I had to say something. :x Belittling a person does not give them the confidence to change. Taking your lead, however, perhaps, in future, you could try to be more constructive with your advice or refrain?

midna said:
Disagree its totally what people need ..everyone keeps being all carebear nice and it dosnt help. I smoked for 10 years before i got pregnant and when i found out i quit without having to think about it. I wont pump my body full of crap when i am a host to my innocent child. People should be prepared to give up as soon as they find out there pregnant coz its just criminal if they dont ..also why not go into the ttc forums and tell them on there about your smoking i bet that will mega p*ss them off ..you have been blessed with a child who u want to have a nicotine addition when it is born along with the possibility of many health problems. Dont tell me how hard it is coz i know.... but im not weak! Give it up please!!

Agree whole heartedly, I gave up straight away after many years of smoking, its very hard but if you want to deep down you will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back