I think I want to be a doula....

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

You know when we have babies you kind of want to be a midwife but the thought of going to college, working for the NHS and all that mallarky puts us off. Well I think when Isaac goes to school I'd like to become a doula. I'd love to be someones birth partner and help them through pregnancy and Labour and the bit after which is so demanding and tough. I think it would be really rewarding and exciting.

Just a random thought I wanted to share...any of you got any thoughts about it or experience of doula's?

:D

what a fab idea!!

I'd love to do something like that, no idea how you go about it though?

quick quick come here u can practise on me!!!!!!!!

no me either :think: I'll google it later when I have time to sit with a cuppa and have a read up. The only things would be I would defo have to be driving and I would have to be able to be very available which would not be ideal with a small child to look after. I think alot of women do it when their kids are all grown up and can fend for themselves so to speak.

Would be a fantastic job though :D

Kimbo said:

I do already, everytime I reply to your posts hun :wink: I am a virtual part time doula :rotfl:

I will have to start charging for words of wisdom.

that'll be 50 quid. Ta x

lou said:
that'll be 50 quid. Ta x

That's it though, eh?

What do they charge? And who uses them?

It seems a lovely and valuable profession but I can't think of a single one of our many many members or anyone I know in RL who've used one? :think:

Just thinking maybe supply outstrips demand? I can see how lots of people would want to be a doula, but not how many could afford them....

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't know anyone that has used one, I've only seen them on TV a few times on the birthing programmes and they have either been ladies whose families are not local and whose husbands are either old fashioned and not hands on or they have husbands who work away.

I would feel bad taking the money, I would get attached and invovled and would feel bad accepting any payment (unless they were loaded or horrible) :rotfl:

lou said:
I would feel bad taking the money, I would get attached and invovled and would feel bad accepting any payment

Well in THAT case.....

You can be mine next time. I'm all for a freebie :wink:

:rotfl:

This forum is like having a doula in a way. Now who wants me to come over and do their washing up and feed the baby while they have a kip????

:D

lou said:
Kimbo said:

I do already, everytime I reply to your posts hun :wink: I am a virtual part time doula :rotfl:

I will have to start charging for words of wisdom.

that'll be 50 quid. Ta x

:lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:
i'll pay you in 50 kisses instead
mwah.gif

OMG :shock: Lou you've just given me a great idea. i'm gonna look it up. I'm serious, this sounds fab. i've just had Kenzo and the experience/what i saw at the maternity unit makes me wanna be a nurse but i would never study for it!! thanks chick!! :hug:

I just looked up how to be a breastfeeding teacher ("Lactation Consultant") but it appears you have to be a midwife first :(

I looked into this as well, I'd LOVE to do it.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be in our lives though.
What if someone went into labour and needed me there when I have the kids, I can't expect my mom to drop everything to look after them either, and if it happened in the night... well sometimes my OH is out on call so I'd have to get the kids up at 4am and dump them somewhere!

Shame though, maybe one day....

leckershell said:
I just looked up how to be a breastfeeding teacher ("Lactation Consultant") but it appears you have to be a midwife first :(

:shock: :shock: :shock:
compare a midwife who has never actually breastfed in her life and a mum of 4, who is not a midwife, but has years of experience. i think they requirements are rubbish :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

i'm not saying they shouldn't let midwives teach breastfeeding. i'm just saying, they shouldn't stop experienced mums from doing it.

YOu can be a breastfeeding counsellor without being a midwife, maybe not for that company but la leche league and other places have them too.

pm beanie, she does times on a helpline rota for breastfeeding moms. :)

awesome :)

the breastfeeding consultant at our local group was expecting her first baby when i went to the last talk she did before I had Ryan. i just thought, what can she tell me that i can't find out from a book, cos she's never physically done it...

i'll have a look into it better :D

Urchin said:
YOu can be a breastfeeding counsellor without being a midwife, maybe not for that company but la leche league and other places have them too.

pm beanie, she does times on a helpline rota for breastfeeding moms. :)

is a voluntary work or does she get paid for it?

I did a two weekend long course with these guys http://www.britishdoulas.co.uk/ it was really good and would reccomend it. You dont have to be a birth doula, you can help women following the birth, doing things that maybe their mother would usually do. It was very enlightening, I met some great people, maybe what put me off was that I wanted to help those who couldnt afford to privetly hire too, I offerd my services to a young mother support centre, but just as I was sorting it out, I started my midwifery course.
My advice is to go for it, after all, its often the things in life you dont try that you regret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back