I think I have PND.

NIE

Reaction score
I have suffered from depression and anxiety before, and over the past few days I have become very tearful and worried about my DH returning to work tomorrow. I'm worried about being on my own with Adam for such a long period of time, and how I will cope. All sorts of silly thing are setting me off, like what to do if I am ill, too tired or he just won't settle. My mil is coming over for a few hours to help me out, but then I panic again about when she goes home and when I have to do it all again the next day.

Do you think this is the start of PND? or could it still be a bit of the baby blues.(at 2 weeks) Is it just possible that I am over reacting as my hormones settle back down and it's completely normal to worry when your partner returns to work.

What do you think. All advice and experiences much appreciated.

Thanks.

I never suffered from PND but i did feel very similar to how you describe when my DH went back to work. I was very tearful and felt alone and that i wouldnt cope and that i just wanted him there with me but in my case it was just the baby blues. I think i was just overwhelmed with everything and it was also partly because of a traumatic birth in my case.

I do think that is is very normal to feel the way you do about OH returning to work.

See how you get on but if you do think it is PND there are others who will be able to better advise you on the subject.

Good luck :hug: :hug:

I am same as you and have previously suffered from sever anxiety and depression in the past. I also felt EXACTLY how you described at around the 2 week mark, I even cried on morning OH went to work and begged him to stay home cos I owuldn't be able to cope.

I thought that baby blues was 2-3 days after birth so convinced myself it was start of PND but it wasn't. after a few days I found I enjoyed OH being at work as we stated getting back to normal I also found going for a walk around town during day when he was out was good tonic.

Obviously I can't say for definate you havent got start of PND but i think what you are feeling is completely normal hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

I felt exactly the same as you at the 2 week point which is when DH went back to work. One day I even called him at work bawling my eyes out begging him to come home. I thought it was PND but it was baby blues and I felt fine a few days later :hug: :hug:

I have no experience of PND but thought i would just send you big :hug: and i everything will be fine hun. I was petrified the first night i had amber because i was on my own and i just didnt know what to do! You will be fine hun xxx

i hav not had PND but i did feel extremely anxious when millie was as young as adam is. i felt panicky about being alone with her in case i couldnt look after her properly! i felt like that for about a month tbh. so i'd say its normal, but that first day alone isnt as bad as u expect it to be, u will surprise urself how well u cope.
speak 2 ur HV tho, 2 make sure and rule out PND, but i think it will pass :hug:

I felt exactly like this at 2 weeks. OH had to take an extra day off cos I was so upset - I just felt like I couldn't cope with looking after her and dreaded taking her out by myself. By about 3-4 weeks I felt more like myself again, but it is hard when you're going through it :)

Hope you feel better soon :hug:

I've just been diagnosed with PND and what you are experiencing sounds like normal anxiety and nervousness, baby blues really - please don't worry. Things will get easier and you will get into a routine of sorts - trust us.

Valentine Xxx

Thanks for the support. :hug:

It's just that everywhere you read, it tends to say that the baby blues happens the first coupke of days, not couple of weeks.

I was rather upset in the early hours of the morning with Adam crying and not settling, but felt better when my mil came over for the day. I have to say it's not been too bad, but tomorrow will be the first day I will be on my own for the whole day with Adam while hubby is on a back shift. I'm not looking forward to it, but I guess it's got to be done and I'll manage.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow. xxx

I was diagnosed with PND when Tom was about 4 weeks. The anxiety was TERRIBLE - really unbearable.
I would keep an eye on things and keep talking to your Health Visitor.
My HV spotted my PND straight away and MADE me go to the doctor to get it sorted.
Try not to worry too much - those early days are SO hard and things do get better soon.
Lucyx

It's good to know that what I am feeling is normal and that I am not alone.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have PND. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm hoping that I can get through the next few days while hubby is at work. It's a big thing being left on your own with the baby for the first time.

I see my HV next week and will have a wee chat with her about how I am feeling. xxx

Your right.. it is such a wierd time, all of a sudden left with the resposibility of a little person who you love more than anyone in world.. no training for that in antenatel.. You can do it though! Your being a fab mammy already just showing concern for LO.

Were all here for you if you need to chat during day while LO naps. :hug:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Your right.. it is such a wierd time, all of a sudden left with the resposibility of a little person who you love more than anyone in world.. no training for that in antenatel.. You can do it though! Your being a fab mammy already just showing concern for LO.

Were all here for you if you need to chat during day while LO naps. :hug:

Thanks. :D For some reason your reply made me cry.

UPDATE:

The first day wasn't too bad. It was a really long day though and I was completly exhaused by 8.30pm.

Last night was a complete nighmare. Adam wouldn't settle much and hubby had to take over for a few hours so I could sleep. (he had just finished a hard back shift and only managed 2 hours of broken sleep all night, and is back out again tonight)

The only thing keeping me going righ now is when Adam looks right into my eyes and I cry tears of joy. :D

all I can suggest is stick with the nightime routine as much as possible, bath, bottle and bed. when he wakes up in the night keep lights off. Doesn't always work at first and you will have nights like last night but I promise it gets easier. Jack was exactly the same at that age, and me and OH are terrible without sleep. Eventually doing as above he started first of all going straight back off to sleep after his nightime feeds then eventually dropping them and now sleeps 12-14 hours during the night.

It's a hard process though and when you living on only a few hours sleep seems so much worse!! Just try nap when you can. Stuff housework or anything else that needs doing. take time just for you and LO.

It will become easier :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back