I have a problem with my plumbing!

daftscotslass

Reaction score
The household type!

Basically last year we bought our flat - it's a ground floor own door Victorian one. Suffice to say it's full of, erm, quirks. In the space of a year we've had a few disasters - taking off wallpaper and the wall coming off, an emergency demolition order served on the chimney (whole road closed, not allowed in our own homes), crows falling down the blocked-off bedroom chimney and about a ton of soot falling into the newly-painted living room when we were installing a new fireplace.

A few weeks ago the hot tap in our kitchen broke. So we did what anyone would do and turned the water off (using the stop valve in our kitchen cupboard), took the tap off to make sure it wasn't the pipe (it wasn't) and then put the water back on until we could be bothered going to buy a new tap. A few minutes later one of our neighbours came down and asked if we had a problem with our water so I told him about the tap. Turns out our water stop valve in our house turns off the two flats above :? .

Anyway my question really is this - what to do about this tap? Inconvenience the neighbours every time we need to put the water off or broach the subject with them or paying a plumber to isolate our supply? There is no way we can afford to pay for this ourselves while I'm on SMP. Would this be a shared cost or something we should pay for ourselves?

daftscotslass said:
The household type!
Inconvenience the neighbours every time we need to put the water off or broach the subject with them or paying a plumber to isolate our supply? There is no way we can afford to pay for this ourselves while I'm on SMP. Would this be a shared cost or something we should pay for ourselves?

It's not just you inconveniencing them. Presumably if they need to turn their water off they are going to have to come knocking on your door. I'd say if they don't have their own stop valve, you'll all need to chip in to get it sorted.

Interestingly enough they each have stop valves in the same cupboard in their kitchens... it's just ours who turns off the whole lot!

Well I'd say sod em then - if you ask and they won't chip in then they will have to put up with no water if yours needs to go off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back