Problem with my dog

cez8457

Reaction score
Ive got a dog shes a collie x something and it coming upto 5 years old. We got her from a shelter when she was a puppy.

Anyway the night before last, i came down stairs in the morning to find the dog had jumped over the baby gate and pulled all our coats off the coat rack ripping them to shedds, OH work coat too in pieces. I put her back behind the gate and she started whinging to put on her bed and closed a door the seprates her from the kitchen its like a little ulility room, and i went upstairs to do some work, when i came down she had scratched all the paint/work off the door frame.

I kept her outside then for part of the day while i done my work and then when i was in the living room i left her in with us. Went to bed last night and so soon as i got into bed and switched the light off she started crying, i left if 5 mins to see if she would stop, but she didnt so went down and put her back to bed, i noticed she had started scratching the door to the living room now. She kept barking through the night i was up a few times to sort it out, in the end i put her outside at 7.00

Any suggests on what i can do, shes been a great dog up til now, im gonna start taking her on more walks to make her worn out lol so hopefully she'll sleep in the night. Its only been going on 2 day but everytime i put her in the kitchen when i need to go out etc she starts crying.

Any ideas???

There are some techniques you can use with dogs so they don't get distressed when they are left. It involves you leaving the room and then counting to 30 and coming back with a treat and then increasing the time you are out the room etc till the dog gets the idea that you WILL come back! Bit like babies and controlled crying!

:)

If its just suddenly started happening and nothing else has changed in her routine, it might just be worth nipping her to the vet for a check up as they can suddenly change their behaviour if they are poorly, she may have something that is niggling her and making her feel strange :hug:

Collies are so inteligent dogs then need lots of stimulation. Hope he settles down. Has she been spaed?

Its very true they are such intelligent dogs they like things to keep their minds active so toys, chews, bones etc - is she trained ie basic training and tricks as they pick them up so quick and love to learn.
My bitch a while ago went strange and was being a right fooker and found out she was experiencing a hormine change - phantom pregnancy it was called. Maybe worth geting her checked out and some advice.

She does all the sit, lay down, roll over tricks and loves doing things like that. Shes never been like this and has changed all of a sudden. She was spayed when she was about 6 months old. It just seems weird, as soon as we shut the kitchen door now she starts crying. I went out this afternoon for a few hours and was so worried about what i would come back too, but she hasnt ruined anything really just a little bit more off the door frame.

Another problem with her as every since she was a puppy she wont eat anything while we are out, so any treats or chews i give remain whole until i come home and then she will eat them.

Ill see how the next few days go and if shes still the same ill have to take her to the vet, i dont want her getting to the stage that she becomes snappy, so maybe they can suggest something.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Is there anything at all that's changed within hers or your routine?

Hi,

If nothing has changed in her routine and you can't think of anythin gthat has upset her then you need to get her to the vet as it sounds as if she is poorly and trying desperately to tell you there is something wrong.

It sounds like classic seperation anxiety/boredom, have you only recently started shutting the kitchen door?

Collies and even collie x are very inteligent dogs and they need some sort of stimulation mentally not just long walks, some times you can over stimulate them!

One of the best things to try is a DAP diffuser it releases pheremones to relax the dog, like being with its mother.
ALso when you go out make no fuss of the dog, same when you come back, after a couple of mins then make a fuss. If oyu make a big deal of leaving and coming back then you are reinforcing the dogs anxiety.
Try putting on your coat and not going anywhere, picking up car keys, this helps to desensitise the dog.

My dog is a collie, a failed working sheep dog, and she will follow me every where and will be distructive if not walked or stimuated.
we have kongs that are stuffed with her food, tug- a jugs lots of things.

Shutting her out in the garden will also distress her more if this has recently started.

ALso do not punish her, unless you catch her in the act of destroying something. for a dog to be reprimanded efficiently you have to catch them within 5 secs of them doing something wrong.

Has her routine changed, anything new in the house?

No i havent changed anything in our rountine, the only thing i can think of is she has just learned how to jump over the baby gate which is in between the kitchen and the door to the living room, The day she ripped all the coats she was over the otherside of the gate and i dont think she can jump back over. I have since removed the coat rack, and i leave the gate open but the door shut if you get what i mean, i also bought her a nice new warm bed as i noticed she wasnt sleeping in her other one. and bought her some toys/chews etc. She gave a little bark this morning, and cried but i think it was because she needed to go out. She seems ok now fingers crossed, it was just a phase.

Thanks for all the replies very grateful.

Lu sometimes gets upset if we close doors (we're not a closed doors kind of house)
Someone suggested that we sleep with an old t-shirt for a night so that it smells of us and when she's being left alone leave her with it so your smell is still with her if she gets lonely. We did it with a fleece blanket when she had to board once when we went away for a weekend, it was the most attention she ever gave that blanket lol.
Hope she stays settled :hug:

Baby gate? Has that only just gone up and has she suddenly found herself with limited access to the rest of the house? If so you've got the routine change right there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back