Hypnobirthing...

We're definitely doing this! I've inquired about our local course already and I'm hoping to be booked on any day now. A friend of mine introduced it to me a few years back and when she told me about the course, I just thought it was another 'hippy' thing she was into! Ha ha! Nevertheless, when she talked me through her home/water/hypnobirth, I was amazed! My hubby was skeptical at first, but after reading up on it and seeing some of those you tube videos, he's really behind it!

A few other people have rolled their eyes about it too and have said, "only the hard drugs work". I then ask what they know about Hypnobirthing and generally they know bugger all and don't even know anyone who has tried it.
Don't get me wrong...I'm under no illusion that I'll have the perfect birth, but I'll try anything to eliminate some of that fear 'One Born Every Minute' puts in me. I want to learn how to trust my body and to understand that the process does not have to be overly clinical - this is why I'm opting for a birthing centre rather than a hospital (not confident enough for home birth yet!).

You're right about it being expensive - it's $500 her in Oz. This covers 4 three hour classes, text books, CDs, handouts and a file. The classes are really small too - 4 or 5 couples at a time I think. Nevertheless, giving birth is something we only do a few times in our life and to be aware of what is going on in your body and around you rather than being in fear is priceless.

Sorry for going on about it! :blush:
We should all keep in contact and update each other on our classes...a while for me yet though. Probably April or May. xxxxx

Last edited:
Lucia, it will be the best $500 you ever spend, promise xxx

Hypnobirthing is fantastic, I would recommend it to EVERYONE!!

We did a course (it was abut £150) and I'm so pleased we did, I wouldn't have got so much out of it if I'd just read a book. I've got to say that OH was sceptical before we went, but once there became a complete convert, in fact he tells everyone about it, he should get commission lol!! He took it really seriously after that and even read the book - there's no way he would have been so involved if we hadn't done the class.

The relaxation and breathing techniques are fantastic, and even though I didn't get the natural homebirth that I wanted, I found them really useful at the hospital. I ended up being induced with the oxytocin drip, and impressed the midwife with how long I managed without pain relief, in fact it was exhaustion rather than pain that led to me having an epidural. It sounds ridiculous that childbirth doesn't have to hurt, it hurts because you expect it to - but it's true (mostly lol!) - having been through it, my state of mind really did make a HUGE difference, and having OH support and remind me was amazing, I really couldn't have done it without him, and he didn't feel useless, he really was making a difference!

It's more than just breathing techniques though, I found the whole hypnobirthing philosophy to be very empowering. It helped us feel in control of the birth and not to follow procedures for no good reason. It meant that we had the confidence to fully consider the options available, ask questions and make an informed decision. We were relaxed and calm, even though things weren't going to plan, I'm sure things would have been very different if we had just done what we were told! I've got to say that the hospital staff were brilliant and put up with our questions and decisions!

The only thing I would perhaps change would be looking into the UK version. I found the CD really annoying, the music and the American voice. OH HATED it. I made the decision to use music rather than the CD during labour and that worked well although will never be able to listen to Radiohead or Mogwai in the same way ever again!

While I was in the labour suite I could hear women screaming in other rooms, I felt so sorry for them and was trying to send subliminal hypnobirthing vibes to them! My advice would have to be to look into it, at least read a book and get a CD if you can't do a class, it will help to get your head in the right place.

Lecture over (sorry, I'm sleep deprived, hope the above makes some kind of sense!) x

Hi - I go for my first Hypnobirthing class tomorrow so i'll tell you all what it's like when I get back. I'm really looking forward to it, Husband - not so much lol.

Hi,

I have looked at this aswell. The classes are quite expensive but I'm petrified of the thought of giving birth! So I think I'm going to look into it. I might have a look at the books aswell.

Has anyone else tried any other alternative ways? I know for definate I am not having an epidural and I haven't even seen the midwife yet!!

Hi,

I have looked at this aswell. The classes are quite expensive but I'm petrified of the thought of giving birth! So I think I'm going to look into it. I might have a look at the books aswell.

Has anyone else tried any other alternative ways? I know for definate I am not having an epidural and I haven't even seen the midwife yet!!

Same!!

Hi Everyone, so we had our first class today and I am totally calm and positive about the birth. I'm not due until April 26th so I have lots of time to practice the affirmations and breathing techniques. It was so good to talk to a midwife who was positive and willing to answer all of my questions.

We watched a few hypnobirthing deliveries and it totally changed my outlook on giving birth. I came home and deleted "one born every minute" from the sky planner and have decided to go on the labour ward tour before the birth so that I can prepare myself for having the baby there. You are advised to remove as much of the negativity around you as possible.

One other Hypnobirthing practicioner said that you should want to give birth in a room that you would want to make a baby in, lol. She advises that you bring a throw, some lavender room spray, relaxing music and anything else that will make the room more comfortable.

We also learned about nipple stimulation for releasing endorphins and how every mother has the right to refuse induction, internals, drips etc. Its mad how your body is prepared for this event and what we can do to make the birth calm and short.

I would recommend this course to anyone who has a fear of pain or giving birth - money well spent. We have our last class next week and I can't wait to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back