Hungry baby

crackers24

Reaction score
Hi, I feel like i'm asking too many breastfeeding questions. I don;t bother much asking MW or HV because i get more practical advice from you lovely ladies :D

LO is almost 6 weeks old and she is still feeding almost constantly. I have to physically take her off the breast and put her to sleep becasue she's on the breast for ages. Sometimes she is still searching for milk slightly when i take her off but then she falls asleep for a couple of hours. Is it ok if i take her off myself, because until now i think she's only come off the breast herself once maybe twice.

I'm feeding her on demand and because of this she is awake from 9pm until 2am, feeding on and off. Surely she is supposed to have some sort of routine by now. What should i do to get her into a routine? what am i doing wrong. Please someone help. I feel i dont know what i'm doing :? Thanks.

My baby is 2 weeks older than yours and has recently settled into a more predictable routine of feeding 2 -3 hrly during the day and 3-4 at night. It just sort of happened so hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait. Personally I carried on feeding on demand but at the same time to encourage a routine I tried to have a regular getting up time, bath time, bed time etc.
Also, I used to let baby comfort suck in the first few weeks to build up supply but now I feel my milk supply is established I do take him off if I think he has finished his proper feed - especially at night. If he cries then I put him back on but usually he just settles down and goes to sleep so I know he's not hungry xx

Little little ones do tend to cluster feed especially in the evening. Its how they gain their milk to sleep longer at night.

If you can take your LO off the breast and she sleeps fine... then do that. :D She will wake when shes hungry. Booby babies do comfort feed. It increases the milk supply. Also lots of babies have dummies but nipples feel different so booby babies refuse them, but don't loose their sucking comfort needs. At this age though its more natures way to increase your supply in preparation for the next growth spurt.

Routines are very difficult for babies to get into. I just make sure lil miss is up at the same time every morning and the night time routine is the same time at night. I also make the house light and noisy during the day...quiet and dark at night. They will eventually drop into a routine.

But it sounds that things are perfectly normal and you are doing things just right right now. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back