How to get medicine into a baby?

Sarah13

Reaction score
Poor Kynon has been really unwell for the last week and got perforated eardrums and an infection, the doctor has given antibiotics but I'm having trouble getting him to take it, I thought getting calpol into him was hard! I've tried a spoon and syringe but he spits most of it out. I'm on my own just now as hubby is away so any tips on how you get medcine into a baby would be much appreciated.

Oscar used to do that when he was so young because they don't know how to swallow other than milk. I bought a medicine dropper in boots, I had to ask over the counter. It's just a syringe basically, that way you can squirt it right back in their mouth and more goes down than comes out. xxx

How old is he Hun? Can't see sigs on my phone! This is going to sound brutal, but if he's teeny tiny, just lay himbacj when you squirt it in and gravity should take it's course, if he's a bit stringer, do the same, but clamp his mouth shut so he has to swallow! As far as I'm aware it's the only way! It's how the nurses had us doing it in hospital! Although it was accompanied by pinning her down and forcing her mouth open! Being a mummy can be tough sometimes!!

Maria - like the infacol droppers?
MMG&I - he's 14 weeks (10 weeks adjusted) I thought I might have to do that but feels so horrible, they make you feel like you are torturing them!

Have you tried giving him a little bit at a time then washing it down with water? x x

No not tried that m2a either, he just screams soon as I put any in and most dribbles out or he gags! Was a nightmare with calpol the first time until he decided it tasted nice, this medicine tastes nasty! I don't think he has a clue what to do, good job I don't plan to ween for a while yet!

Have you tried a medicine dummy hun?We used on when sam was small, worked a treat xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Have you tried a medicine dummy hun?We used on when sam was small, worked a treat xxx

Where do you get those from? He won't take a regular dummy tho so I bet he wouldnt take it!

Maria - like the infacol droppers?
MMG&I - he's 14 weeks (10 weeks adjusted) I thought I might have to do that but feels so horrible, they make you feel like you are torturing them!

Same principal, but it's a syringe style instead of actual droplet dispenser. Does the job though, just put the syringe to the back of the tongue like the infacal dropper and squirt and job done lol

Def need to try something else it went everywhere again tonight!

does he suck on your finger? we had to syringe feed at the start and the way the hospital told us was to put both your pinky and the syringe in (nurofen do a great one without the pointy end) and once they start sucking then squirt away!

Sarah have you tried mixing it with a bit of calpol I he likes the taste of that? Or
Skmething else Sweet?

Where do you get those from? He won't take a regular dummy tho so I bet he wouldnt take it!

Aww thats a shame. You can get them from mothercare hun xx

Hope you manage to find a way that works for you.

AJ is 3 and he had antibiotics a couple of month ago, I had to pin him and blow softly in his face to make his swallow, whilst syringing it in his mouth. x

We have always squirted it right to the side of Lucas' mouth (inside of cheek). Never go right in the middle on the tongue. We use a syringe to do this. That way they can't spit much of it out as they can't really taste it. A nurse showed us this method in hospital. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back