• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to dress your baby in the hot weather

Ellied

Reaction score
We have been told to keep Charlie in long sleeves and long trousers in the hot weather to help with sun care.

I still put him a vest under his daytime outfit and his babygrow at bed time.

Are you still using vests?

Well in this weather my lil lady is in a dress with nothing underneath and when my ds was a baby we would put him on shorts and t shirts - slaver them with 50+ suncare ceam and if your taking them in a buggy shade with a parasol, thin blanket will do if you dont have one. Just keep the sun off them.

Sunburn babys not good!

In the hot weather I never used a vest, unless she just had shorts and t-shirt on.

I've never heard of covering them up with long sleeves etc.... just be sensible and make sure they have sun block on and the parasol and a wee sun hat when in the buggy, etc

I use vests during the day but have stopped using them all the time at night time. He had shorts & tshirt on yesterday with sun cream, and a sun hat (and looked soooo cute!) I also had him under a parasol in the shade in the garden because it was roasting x

We just kept Isaac out of the sun until just recently, because we felt it for the best, but if your LO is going to be exposed just do as mrs_tommo22 says and slaver them in 50+ SPF.

Clothes wise I would just make sure you have cardi's, coats and blankets when you go out for when the weather turns in, if it does, as you can always add. We took Isaac to the park today and it was sunny but now and then the clouds would roll over and a breeze picked up. We had him in a vest and gro with no legs and a hooded thick cardi, which was off and on :lol:

Lil miss has been in vests and romper suits recently... its just sooooo hot here (about 25º, more in the sun)... poor thing, she sweats like a pig if I put her in anything else... and its almost getting too hot to put her in the sling.. :( At night she is just in a baby grow... but has been in vests too on the really hot nights, but come 4am her lil legs get chilly so I've gone back to baby grows...

tbh its just too hot to go out and stay out in the sun, although lil miss had her arm out the pushchair the other day (just her arm, trying to grab things :roll:) and it was a little red the day after... I covered her in aloe vera though...

My HV told me that the best thing to do is keep your lo covered up in light cotton clothes when out in the sun.

I still use a vest during the day but not at night. xxx

last summer when Matilda was 2months wehad a heatwave of 40+dges for about 6 weeks, i had her in just a nappy and tshirt most of the time and if we went out then a dress or shorts/tshirt. I never used suncream but then she was never in the sun during except for a quick dip in the sea about 4/5 oclock, i also had a sunshade thingy on her pushchair that was like a raincover but a sunshade and gives 90% protection. this summer will be the same but will have to use suncream as she's crawling/toddling. at the moment i use a vest during day with t/shirt and whatever on top (dress/trousers/shorts) but no vest at night though she is in a babygrow. Matilda suffered last summer from heatrash as well so I found it better to keep as little on as possible.

I worry about what to dress him in at night.

The last 2 nights, his room has been abotu 24 degrees according to the monitor. We just had him in a babygro and nothing else last night and he slept through, so I'm presuming he's ok. But I do worry at night.

K.x

the best clothes for hot weather are white cotton long-sleeved and loose- direct sun is bad for skin especially babies'.
last year altho it was raining all summer it was still hot and i dressed my newborn in just a long-sleeved babygro and no socks during the day and always kept her in the shade and at nite just a sleepsuit not even any blankets.
now she is nearly one year old and its getting hot again i dress her in cotton pants or leggings and t-shirts during the day and at nite just a sleepsuit and a cellular blanket.
last nite was the first nite this year i didnt put her in the grobag, it seemed too hot.

Luke's been in shorts and T-shirt the past 2 days. Yesterday he had a vest on underneath but today I left it off. The less layers the better when it's this hot!
I also smothered him in Nivea baby suncream today too.

At night he's in a long sleeved vest with a 1.0 tog sleeping bag but tonight he's just going in a sleeping bag that is thin cotton and his nappy as our room gets SO hot in the summer! It's horrible.

harriet just wears a nappy at night, our house is stupidly warm and during day shes in cloth nappy and t.shirt in this weather but when we went out she had trousers on too.

Can you use suncream on young babies as all the ones I have bought say suitable from 6 months on?????

I put Seren in long sleeved linen and cotton tops oif we were going out and she would be exposed to the sun and kept her out of direct sunlight as much as possible, i.e. not going out between 12 and 2 if possible, putting her in the shade etc etc whereas once she was older I put her in shorts and t shirts, or rompers (kids look soo cute in rompers) and slathered her in suncream.

How bloody expensive is suncream too!!!!! £11.99 it cost me to get some today and that was in the sale.

beanie said:
Can you use suncream on young babies as all the ones I have bought say suitable from 6 months on?????

I put Seren in long sleeved linen and cotton tops oif we were going out and she would be exposed to the sun and kept her out of direct sunlight as much as possible, i.e. not going out between 12 and 2 if possible, putting her in the shade etc etc whereas once she was older I put her in shorts and t shirts, or rompers (kids look soo cute in rompers) and slathered her in suncream.

How bloody expensive is suncream too!!!!! £11.99 it cost me to get some today and that was in the sale.

Of course you can! It's made specifically for babies! :D

the one for babies I looked at today said from 6 months on :? It was a nivea one or something???

Googled it and have found this

Infants <6 months should be kept out of direct sunlight as they cannot move themselves, have less melanin for protection and are at risk for heat problems and dehydration. It is controversial whether or not infants <6 months old should use sunscreen because of their possible risk of different absorption, metabolism and excretion of drugs. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that in addition to avoiding exposure "in situations where the infant's skin is not protected adequately by clothing, it may be reasonable to apply sunscreen to small areas, such as the face and the back of the hands."

from here http://www.pediatriceducation.org/2006/05/08

but this says its ok in small amounts on bits that cannot be covered with clothing

Use sunscreen. Sunscreen is recommended for all children over 6 months of age, and for babies under 6 months of age when their skin cannot be entirely protected by shade and clothing. It is considered safe to apply small amounts of sunscreen to small areas of skin such as the baby's face, ears, neck, and hands.

so like usual mixed messages

has anyone tried one of those UV tents. I thought about getting one for putting Cally in when me and Seren are playing in the garden, and also for the family to use when we go on the beach - curse my lily white skin

i been reading lots about sunscrean on babies recently because of another post, its best not to put cream on newborns as it stop them sweating and regulating their body temp properly but ok on small areas that really need it.

has anyone tried one of those UV tents. I thought about getting one for putting Cally in when me and Seren are playing in the garden, and also for the family to use when we go on the beach - curse my lily white skin

we've got a uv tent that we bought for james when we went to spain when he was 18 months old. It was great because he could nap in there and stay cool. They're great for the beach cos you can stash all your stuff in there too.

harrison either wears a shortie romper suit during the day or shorts and a t-shirt, no vest. I have him covered if out as well :)

Benie: I think its banana boat thats suncream says from birth (pink tube) think it was about £8 from Superdrug last year, we just put it on LO's arms and legs last year incase they got in the sun - he never burnt.

This year, he is obviously older but on hols some days it was nearly 30 but a combination of SPF50 and the buggy shade, he didn't burn. The buggy shade was the best ever I will be getting out soon for here, if nothing it it just kept the pram bit cool (looks a bit daft lol) but so much better than a parisol as with them if you turn in the sun you need to move it, this you dont
BUGGY SHADE The only thing is there $10 from US Toys R Us (which is £5!!) so you you know anyone stateside try get them to get you one, we just didnt have time which was annoying!)

Re the tent, the shade is protective it does work, I had lines after laying in it with DS on holiday grrrrr! I got one from argos for £20 that was good, the family sized one, you can peg it up or use pockes and fill with dirt/sand/stones etc if you dont want holes in your garden!

I dress oran now in shorts and tshirts no vests at the moment and night time a short romper no vest no covers but our apt is VERY hot, me and OH sleep on top of the covers no clothes on and still get hot and bothered! Last summer when he was a few months short rompers and a hat all the way for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back