How sucessful is sweep?

star fish

Reaction score
My midwife has offered me a stretch and sweep on Wednesday, but am in two minds about having it.

If it induced immediate labour then that would be good as will have DH with me on Wednesday evening, but he has to work Thursday night without fail, has Friday off and then he has to work New Years Eve whether I am in labour or not (or get sacked). But having the baby any time after that is good for them as work goes quiet.

I would like to get it out of the way obviously, plus my sister is travelling in on 29th to see baby from Australia and then leaving again 6 hrs later (but will understand if it hasnt happened yet! I mean, she is passing anyway).

So does it take a day or so to have any effect? Does it generally work to promote labour? Can it be instant? Whats the norm on here?

Hi hunni not sure whats the norm but my own experience is ~

I had a stretch and sweep on a fri (was booked in for induction at 7pm the following tuesday) and went into labour the monday night had our daughter the tuesday morning.

Not sure if it can be instant or not, it wasnt in my case

Btw i was 12 days overdue when she was born! xxx

Hi hun I asked the exact same thing on Thursday. Do a search under my username as quite a few people replied.

I'm booked for one on Thursday.

Good luck hope it works for you.

Make a pregnancy ticker

I think if it's going to work it will within 48 hours. Mines on Thursday!

I had a sweep at 40+3 on a wednesday, Tegan was born at 3.58pm on the thursday! they say if there gonna work it'll be within 48 hours xx

I've also heard 48 hours, and that the chance of success is 50/50.

At the NCT classes the instructor was saying that some hospitals were going away from sweeps as there was no actual evidence that they helped kick start labour. I don't know what to believe because reading people's experiences on here it seems to be hit and miss.

Interesting..... I think I might avoid having it, it sounds painful and not particularly useful! I'll rethink after New Year if still nothing though

Oh yes, she said that she could do it at my next appointment if I wanted and I said I wasnt sure and she said "see how you feel on the day then"

I'm leaning towards opting out tbh. Just seems uncomfy and pointless if nothing happens. Mind you it just might be me being a chicken.

I'm leaning towards opting out tbh. Just seems uncomfy and pointless if nothing happens. Mind you it just might be me being a chicken.

LOL, yeah, there's a bit of that! I dont want her sticking her fingers inside me and waggling them around! I loathe having a smear and this is apparently even more invasive and painful

Last edited:
I'm mixed! Im not happy about having my bits played with BUT they'll have to do it during labour anyway!

Yeah I'm dreading that - people keep saying you wont be shy when you are in labour, but I really think I will be!

My husband keeps joking about pooing, and its making me squirm and I just want him to stay at the head end (my head, not baby's!)

I've told DH not to go down the business end. He's squeamish so would prob damage him for life and I would like sex again sometime in the future......eventually.

i had a sweep on thursday and it did nothing apart from make me bleed (not a show). i'm meant to have one this coming thursday again but i might just tell her to forget it, it wasn't painful but i'm sure she put her whole arm up me! hahaha how bad! then she was twiddling here fingers asking "can you feel me?" lol i could've died!

I had 4 sweeps and none of them worked, but I was having them before my due date so my body obviously wasn't ready for the baby to come out.
I didn't find them too painful, its just a bit more uncomfortable than a smear. If you do have one, take a pad with you for afterwards as you can have increased discharge.

I can't believe you are overdue now Starfish!! I remember you hosting the testing thread the month I got my BFP! Hope baby decides to make an appearance when your hubby can be around. xxx

That's it then I'm not having one unless I get desperate. I can live without someone shoving their arm up me foof and wiggling it around.

I had a stretch n sweep last Wednesday n it did sod all for me. Registra wanted mw to give me another one y'day but she didnt as she doesnt like doing them on 1st time mums til 41 weeks xx

Think this has put me off having one too.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back