how soon can I start claiming some sort of maternity benefits?

i.love

Reaction score
sorry girls I know I can probably read about this online, but it all looks soooo confusing! It's all like 'if you can't claim this, you might be able to claim that, if not, maybe that, if not, then...'

does anyone know when is the earliest I might apply for some sort of benefit/allowance/grant/pay or whatever?

I think it's about 29 weeks but what you get can depend on your employer, they would be the best people to speak to and see what allowances if any they have. Your child benefit you can claim as soon as baby is born which is about £80 per month for your first child.

I think it's about 29 weeks but what you get can depend on your employer, they would be the best people to speak to and see what allowances if any they have. Your child benefit you can claim as soon as baby is born which is about £80 per month for your first child.

Thanks Sarah, the thing is that I only work part time and though an agency, plus my assignment finishes in May. So I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get anything out of my employer. I believe I can still claim smth else, and I guess you are right about 29 weeks... It's so far away yet though! Oh well.

I was just thinking about our financial situation and I completely forgot about the child benefit - that's some good news! thx.

I am not sure what entitlements you can claim. Was 6 years ago I worked whilst pregnant! :lol: but I am sure if you contact the directgov or even the CAB they can explain everything to you & tell you all you need to know! xx

I am not sure what entitlements you can claim. Was 6 years ago I worked whilst pregnant! :lol: but I am sure if you contact the directgov or even the CAB they can explain everything to you & tell you all you need to know! xx

well I find the website for directgov very confusing. I might pop into jobcentre plus one day though.

well I find the website for directgov very confusing. I might pop into jobcentre plus one day though.

Yes it does seem a bit out there doesn't it?! Job centre plus could help too. Hope you get what you are looking for. So annoying when you have no idea what entitlements you can have! x

If you're working you can claim SMP from 28 weeks, if not... Also at 28 weeks you can claim Income Support for LO and can get a Maternity Grant of £500. I think you can get the Maternity Grant as well if you're working but on a low wage. Best bet is to either look on DWP Benefits Calculator or pop into the JC :) x

My friend got made redundant while pregnant and was able to claim job seekers for 6 months, so you might get that once your contract is up. It does all sound confusing though, I'm self employed just now but go back to uni in august so haven't got a clue if I can claim anything, I'm guessing not though as I'll be a student again when I give birth!

My friend got made redundant while pregnant and was able to claim job seekers for 6 months, so you might get that once your contract is up. It does all sound confusing though, I'm self employed just now but go back to uni in august so haven't got a clue if I can claim anything, I'm guessing not though as I'll be a student again when I give birth!

Students can claim Income Support from 28 weeks as far as I know.... My friend is a student and claiming it anyways :) x

HappiBean I believe the grant is only for those who get some sort of income support? I don't get it and I don't think I would be entitled because my husband works. Though maybe I should find out.

Sarah, interesting... do you think I should better tell my work that I'm pregnant before I'll be made redundant then? Or does it not matter?

Students can claim Income Support from 28 weeks as far as I know.... My friend is a student and claiming it anyways :) x

Oh thanks, that's good to know, I'll look into that!

HappiBean I believe the grant is only for those who get some sort of income support? I don't get it and I don't think I would be entitled because my husband works. Though maybe I should find out.

Sarah, interesting... do you think I should better tell my work that I'm pregnant before I'll be made redundant then? Or does it not matter?

My friend took voluntary redundancy. I wouldnt think they would just make you redundant unless they are laying people off anyway. You might find they will give you a couple of short contracts after May when this one is up. I think everyone can get job seekers though but maybe not for long if your OH works, my friends hubby was on a high income and she was still entitled to it for 6 months i think, which surprised me as I thought they would take one look at his pay packet and say no! Don't think it was hugh amounts of money but it all helps with a new baby on the way!

My friend took voluntary redundancy. I wouldnt think they would just make you redundant unless they are laying people off anyway. You might find they will give you a couple of short contracts after May when this one is up. I think everyone can get job seekers though but maybe not for long if your OH works, my friends hubby was on a high income and she was still entitled to it for 6 months i think, which surprised me as I thought they would take one look at his pay packet and say no! Don't think it was hugh amounts of money but it all helps with a new baby on the way!

oh right. That's good news!

I know that I'm gonna be made redundant because they are closing my post in the office. It's not up to my boss, he is actually quite upset about it himself. So I know I'll still need to go. I was just wondering if the fact that my boss knew I'm pregnant when I was made redundant would look more benefitial for me if I try to claim some support later.

anyway, I guess I'll just need to drop into jobcentre plus when I'm in the city.

I'm not sure, I think your right easiest thing to do would be to speak to the job centre and take it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back