? about benefits

moomoo192

Reaction score
i've also posted this on 3rd tri

I know when you're working you can claim maternity benefit or maternity allowance but does anybody know what happens if you're not working??

From what i'd read on the internet if you were unable to claim MB or MA you could get either Income support or incapacity benefit.

Because i haven't worked in the past 2 1/2 years i was told i could claim incapacity benefit for 8 weeks but she sent me the MA form, well that went in the bin as it was no good, i hadn't earnt anything in the qualifying period so thought what was the point in sending it.

I rang again tonight and she said i can't claim income support as dh works full time and i can't claim incapacity benefit as i am not incapable of work or signed off by the doctor so there is nothing i can claim :wall:

Does anybosy know any different??

i got told u can claim incapicity benefit, as u cant work, your about to give birth???? i would talk to some one else if possible

just looked on benefits site....

If you are expecting a baby and have not worked for some time, cannot get Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance, but have paid or been treated as having paid NI contributions:
check Incapacity Benefit

have u been paying your NI?

also this

Incapacity Benefit
If you cannot get either SMP from your employer or MA from your Jobcentre Plus office, you may be able to get Incapacity Benefit. This will depend on your National Insurance (NI) contributions in recent years. Your maternity certificate (form MATB1) is accepted as evidence of incapacity for work for the period starting 6 weeks before the week the baby is due, to 14 days after the date on which the baby is born.

If you claim MA, your claim will automatically be considered for Incapacity Benefit if you do not qualify for MA. You do not need to make a separate claim although you may be contacted for further information. This is true even if your MA claim is delayed until up to 3 months after your baby is born.

Jobseeker’s Allowance
If your MA claim is disallowed, you may be able to continue to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) after the beginning of the 11th week before the week in which your baby is due. But remember, you can claim JSA only if you are available for, capable of and actively seeking work. You should consult your Jobcentre Plus office.

I looked into this recently and I found I was unable to claim anything, but OH works full time and we do receive Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit. If you were single you would automatically go onto Income Support, as far as I'm aware. I would go see someone at your local benefits agency, they will need to look at your personal circumstances to give you a decision :hug:

Thanks girls, i will pop down there next week and try and see what they say

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back