How prepared were you?

EllieBelle

Reaction score
I still have 12 weeks to go, so am quite laid back about getting everything ready for LO's arrival.

However I spoke to 2 people yesterday, one who commented her baby arrived 5 weeks early (yikes), and the other who said during the last month she wouldnt have been in any fit state to do much at all.......

We painted the nursery last weekend and put up all the furniture, but still need to dress the room (buy border, curtains, black out blind and all the nice bits), still have so many other things to buy........inc pushchair/car seat but know which one we are getting.

I just wondered how prepared in advance you were?

I don't think I was very prepared - I had the pram and carseat 2 months before he was due, but the nursery didn't get finished until a week before, and the cot didn't arrive until he was a couple of days overdue but he was going to sleep in a moses basket in our room for the first few months anyway. It depends how you feel, but I was perfectly capable of building the cot at 4 days overdue and shopping gave me something to do both before and after he was born - it was nice to get out of the house and get the few extra things I did need. The hospital bag was mostly packed at 36 weeks but I was still adding stuff right up to the day before he was born.

As long as you have the essentials (somewhere for baby to sleep, feeding equipment if you need it and a couple of basic clothes) you'll be fine!

I was probably TOO prepared cause im bored now :roll:

Make sure you've road tested your chosen car seat and know it fits your car(s). Not all car seats fit all cars :roll: Always good to fit it and see first.

I was sort of prepared. I had all the big things but the house wasn't sorted and I had clothes and loads to do!

He was early though - I was going to get everything on the tuesday all sorted but he decided to arrive then :lol:

i had everything but most of it was still in the packaging and lots of the jobs around the house hadnt been done but isla was born 36+4

Thanks ladies........I guess I better get on and start being organised and be ready by 36 weeks!!

Everyday, I look at various things in catalogues, ebay etc...and get overwhelmed with it all, and have really problem making a decision at the moment (definitely a pregnancy thing).

Sherlock - just changed my car to accommodate a car seat, the car I had wouldnt fit any of the popular brand seats, just typical!!!

I didn't get my pushchair til 9 weeks before. Nursery i painted all by myself at 6 weeks before. I was building furniture at 4 weeks before. I had loads of energy for bursts of the day. As long as i did bits then sat down for an hour i was fine.

I knew my car wouldn't it any car seat as the seat belt is too short so i already knew to buy a seat with a base. I find it so much easier than fiddling with the belt. Just drop it in and go.

I was very laid back about stuff.

we were quite unprepared lol!

starting with the pregnancy- i found out at 6 weeks and we hadnt planned to get pregnant for years- so neither of us had bothered to learn anything about babies and i mean ANYTHING lol it was an alien concept to us!

we didnt agree on a name for our baby until i was about 36 weeks pregnant!

her nursery wasnt ready until she was 8 months old!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

i was pretty oraginaise din shopping as i bought loads in January sale..my hosp bag was my stubling block..didn't want to beleive i was goign into labour so didn't pack one then at 38 weeks went to hosp they decided i would be induced the next afternoon so had a very busy day packing lol and yes i did go into labour :shock:

We finally got the baby's bedroom finished when she was about 6 months old :lol:

By finished, I mean that when she was born it looked like this :shock:

IMG_3730.jpg

You can cope with most stuff if you need to. Apart from the car seat which you need to get the baby home from hospital you can buy the rest as you go.

I wanted to stay pregnant both times so put off all preperations anyway, and Ophelia was 3wks early.. for example I wanted a homebirth both times but both times ended in hospital and both times packed my hospital bag the day I went in :lol: I'm NOT saying that's correct mind, you should have things like that ready, I was a bit silly! I think I'm trying to say don't worry about it and just do what you can, once baby arrives everything else usually goes out the window for a while anyway as you're busy being in love :)

Main things to have ready are the car seat, clothes for baby, nappies, moses basket, possibly a bouncey chair/swing, and that's really it initially, babies don't need that much in the beginning despite what we are told to buy, but its darn fun buying all the same :lol: If friends/family ask what you need, tell them they can come round after baby is born and help tidy up or cook or bring some food round, they're the best prezzies I'd have liked hehe Never had a nursery for my babies so decorating was never an issue. Very best wishes and good luck :hug: :hug: :hug:

you know somthing...i didnt even have a 'propper' hospital bag either time... i had a carrier bag with bits n bobs.

BOTH TIMES I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A BABYGROW/VEST/ECT IN THEM. . . .

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
(i did have plenty at home, just not in the right place at the right time) luckily the nurses helped me out there :rotfl: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back