How often do you brush your 1 year old's teeth

Kimbo

Reaction score
:shock: ONE year old :dance: :dance: :dance:
Can't believe I have a one year old :lol: :lol: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Anyway, I was brushing Leah's teeth morning and then after her bath at night, but last week when I brushed them, her gums started bleeding, and it was quite a bit.. I'm putting it down to a tooth coming through so her gums may have been sensitive, as there was quite a bit of blood... anyway... since then I can't bring myself to clean her teeth as much... I'm scared I'm going to hurt her, and i'm thinking I was brishing her teeth too much and that's why they have eventually started to bleed.
What do you do??

yeah my boys gums bled when they were teething too. :hug:

I always bruch chesters twice a day. He's only got 3 bless him but I give the 3 a thorough brush then I let him hold the brush afterwards and he has a little go. I wouldnt worry too much if you think she's teething but it may be a good thing to get her into a dentists so she's used to it and then you can discuss your concerns with them?

Altough Willow is nearly 2 :shock: i brush her teeth twice a day (after breakfast and before bed) and have dont since her first tooth poked through, i ca gaurentee that if she is moaning before bed all i have to say is teeth and its like i have given her the best present ever.guess thats a good thing though) and also if i forget she will comeup to me and say Teeth mummy.

My dentist said its not necessary until the age of two but its a good idea to introduce it earlier and there is certainly no harm in brushing their teeth. But he did say to me to try and avoid the gummy areas as like you said it can cause bleeding and soreness and a disliking to having their teeth brushed. Ky has 7 teeth and he brushes his teeth once in the bath before bed just to get him use to it, but its more of a fun exercise than anything serious. I but the brush in his mouth and have a quick scrub of the seven then he plays with the brush and does it himself...well he mainly dips it in the bath water or tries to clean the bath :roll: but he enjoys it and gets excited when he sees the brush coming so thats good enough for me :)

Glenn does his constantly throughout the day, he loves a toothbrush and loses loads of them! i do brush his twice a day before i let him loose with it lol he can brush them really well.

at 1 - she brushed her own (well chewed on the brush) once a day... now she does it twice a day and i stand with her while she does it. she does it at the same time as me and we copy each other - i brush the top left and she brushes her top left etc... If she doesn't do it well enough i will finish her off if you catch my drift.

i had forgot to unpack her toothpaste the other day and instead of going through the bags i tried her with a tiny bit of my mint one and her face was a picture!!! :lol:

morning and night. ever since they began coming through.

he loves it! :D

I just brush ds's once a day after his bath at the moment. I'll start doing them in the mornings too soon. We've never had bleeding gums but he got all his teeth pretty early. I brush first then he has a go afterwards. He used to just chew the brush but has just started trying to brush properly :)

ds doesn't like mint toothpaste, we use the Wilkos kids strawberry toothpaste which he loves!

Last edited:
I give D his toothbrush in the shower in the morning, and bath at night time. If I don't give him it after he's been washed he shouts (or points). I started off brushing them for him but he's happy enough to do it himself.....he doesn't brush properlu, just chews on the toothbrush but my dentist said that's ok just now. He also brushes them after his lunch on the days he's at nursery. His gums have never bled through brushing (has when he split the top of his gum, but that's another story!) x

Morning and night..he loves it. He has the electric toothbrush from Bruin (Babies R Us).

1 years old and 10 teeth already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back