how much emphasis on fundal height?

little*red

Reaction score
hey ladies
how much emphasis should be put on the babies fundal measurements? At my midwife appointment today my midwife said they dont really take notice unless you measuring 2cm under/over.She then measured and im more than 2cm under but she said everything was fine. So now im confused :? . going to ask the midwife at my antenatal class tonight how much emphasise i should put on it and whether its cause for concern. If it is im going to ask for another scan when i go for my ECG on monday.

These are my measurements over the last few months:

24 Weeks ~ 25 cm (midwife said it was down to a growth spurt)
29 Weeks ~ 29cm
32 Weeks ~ 32 cm
35+1 weeks ~ 34cm
36+4 weeks ~ 34cm

hia
ive been 2cm over every time ive been measured but every MW i have asked has said as long as the baby feels ok to them then there isnt really anything to worry about.
i went for a measurement on mondays and was 40 instead of 38 and she said the baby doesnt feel too big or too small.
if they were worried they would send you for a scan. :D

hey there, I dont really know how much they go by on fundal height I had mine measured today and it measured at 34 cm which as my midwofe said is too big for me to be on 31 weeks, she said from those measurements I am approx 34 - 35 weeks. So I have to go in for a scan to clarify my dates.

Best thing to do is call your midwife and ask her to explain to you the situation.

:hug:

At exactly 26 weeks I measured 29, but my MW did not seem concerned and neither am I as I know it's me, I was big before getting pregnant, though I don't know how it makes it different if you were average/slim before getting pregnant.

From what I've read on this forum about fundal measurements, they are not very reliable when it comes to actual LO weight and sizes when they're born :think:

saw consultant today and she was happy with me and I've been measuring over for months by 2cm! :)

my m/w measured mine on Tues.I was 32 weeks exctly .she said I was measuring 33 , I said oh thought he was definately had a growth spurt this week, she measured me again and said its 31/32 cm then wrote in my notes 31cm so I wouldn't worry too much

My mw too says she's happy as long as I'm more or less within 2cm either way.....I measured a couple of cm's under last time and she said she was more than happy with it.

Maybe just check with her at your next appointment, I think they maybe say 2cm either way but have the final decision with how they feel about baby when they have a feel......she would have said if there was a problem, but ask anyway to put your mind at ease :hug:

I was always 3/4 cms over with Charlie, during one of my midwife appointments i had a student mideife in and as part of the checks she didnt measure my bump, when i queried this she said they had been told now that they werent to do that any more as its not relevant, my midwife didnt know this and continued to measure me all the way through. Charlie wasnt a big baby, 7lbs 13ozs and my bump wasnt huge but i think it depends what shape you were before hand as the excess weight i was carrying before i fell was mainly round my hips and belly so it wasnt flat to start with!!!!

Little*Red: I just had a mw app this morning, and my fundal height measurement is 32cm......so almost 4cm smaller than it 'should' be. However, my mw said not to worry as baby is 2-3/5 engaged so that could be why my bump is measuring smaller........so thought I'd mention it on your post.

My measurements over the past few months are:

22+5 weeks - 23.5cm
29+5 weeks - 28cm
32+5 weeks - 32cm
35+5 weeks - 32cm

Might be worth checking with mw if baby's head is engaged as this will make your measurement smaller.

Hope you are well babe :hug:

Thanks emmy :hug:
had a checkup today aswell and the midwife said i was now measuring 37cm, how confusing!!!! the funny thing is she also said the babies head had started to engage (3/5th) whereas last thirsday the other midwife said it was still free.
so my bump has grown 3cm in 4 days but the baby has also slightly dropped, is that even possible :? ?
Im sure midwives just do this to confuse us :lol: apart from that everything seems to be A-ok, its just a matter of being a waiting game now. :D

How confusing :wall: Well.......I think as long as we feel ok then we must be ok hey chick?

I feel fine - had a bit of bump & back ache but thats apparently because she's back to back, so just need to encourage her to turn - so i;m not too worried about measuring small at the minute.

Glad to hear baby is nicely engaged for you too.....may the waiting commence :D

As everyone else says don't worry, my bump never once got measured during my whole pregnancy!

Great news about baby being engaged and your bump dropping, it;s all steps in the right direction!

Hi

I measured normal my whole preganncy with Kiara and she ended up being on the bigger side 9 pounds 6 ounces after i was told a 7 pound baby .
My friend who just had her daughter was measuring big but didnt have a scan and had a 9 pound 12 ounce baby, so for her it was right and for me it didnt show.
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back