• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much and what food at approx 5 months?

MissThing

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Lately Daniel isnt very keen on milk. So, basically I just want to know what and how much is you LO eating at 4 to 7 months.

So, morning from about 6.30 to 11 am he has about 8oz of milk ( he isnt having more then 4 oz at once and there is no way i can make him have more)

12pm- 1 or 1 and a half pot of veggie puree mixed with 1oz of milk plus 2oz of milk separate.

4pm- 1 or 1 and a half pot fruit puree

6.30pm- 7 to 9 oz of milk

11pm- 7oz of milk

2.30am- 4 to 5oz of milk (but not always)

Plus in the morning he has diluted fruit juice approx 60 mls

I am just worried if he is having enough milk? And, should i add a solid breakfast, like porridge?

Hope for your help :hug:
xxx

Hi :wave:

My Lo is not that keen on food at the moment but she varies. A typical day:

730 - porridge and bit of fruit puree

8 - 7-8 oz milk

1130ish small amount of mixed veg purees

12p.m - 7-8oz milk

330p.m - 7-8 oz milk

530-6p.m - baby rice or equivalent mixed with fruit puree and 3 oz milk

7-730 - 7/8 oz milk and bed

She does vary and some days will only eat half her tea for example, im not sure if its just cos it is extra effort!

My HV said that babies should be having at least 20 oz milk which Daniel seems to be so i wouldn't worry

:hug:

Nikkif, you are so lucky that Charlotte has her milk during the day. I wish Daniel would do the same, and, maybe there would be a chance of him sleeping throught :wall:

i know, she does wake sometimes, generally we do not have to feed her, i know we are lucky but she doesnt sleep through withought fail. If you work out ow much milk Daniel gets i do not think it is that different to Charlotte? She has 27-32 Oz a day

I wish i know what to suggest, but i dont sorry. My Health visitor says it is normal for babies to need feeding in the night until 6 months and they are on enough solids

:hug:

Maisie has never taken a lot of milk even though she is nearly 16lb I still can't get her to take more than 28 ounce in a day. I have started weaning as the doctors recommended due to her reflux so I give her the plum porridge and baby rice as this can then get extra milk into her.

I worry constantly that she isn't getting enough but she puts on 6/7 ounces a week so it must just be all she needs and like you I have never had a night where she has slept through!!!! :(

I am now at a loss as when to introduce a lunch feed as our pattern is:

7/8 am 6/7 ounce bottle

10/11 am 6 ounce bottle and 2 ounce with porridge

2/3 pm 6/7 ounce bottle

6.30 pm 6 ounce bottle with 2 ounce baby rice.

Maisie then wakes anytime between 12 and 3 for a 4 ounce feed she goes to bed at 7/8 and sleep quite a long time. I have tried to exend her bedtime to 9/10 hoping that she would sleep till morning but she still woke up at the same time so I am not changing that.

Should I give the porridge in the morning and then fruit/veg at the 10/11 feed?

Well, Daniel was quite constipated, so I was adviced to stay clear of porrige and baby rice and just give puree, So that is what I am doing. But I am thinking about introducing something in the morning as well... Maybe will try some homemade oat porridge... :think:

I give D porridge in the morning - he does sleep through but I don't think it's because of his breakfast, I'm just lucky! I bf so not sure how much milk he gets but I'm sure it's enough because he pees and poos quite a lot and is putting on weight. Our routine is sort of like this:

6/7am- bf (he doesn't take loads on this one)
an hour after bf he has breakfast cereal with some fruit puree mixed in
11am - bf
2pm - bf
4.30pm - bf
5.30pm - dinner (eg would be mixed veg (parsnip & carrot etc) then some fruit puree (I make this in batches and use loads of fruit then mash a banana in so it's got some lumps in it)
7pm - bf and bed

Sometimes he'll have wee top ups throughout the day, and sometimes I'll give him a snack to hold and eat himself like toast or fruit.

Edited - just to say that I was giving him something at lunch time but I've dropped that one just now because he didn't seem that bothered about it so I'll bring it back in later when he needs it xx

hey carina, amber is only a few weeks older than daniel, fortunately for me amber eats well during the day and sleeps right through.

7.30 - porridge + 7 / 8 oz of milk

10.30 - 6 oz of milk

12,.30 - Dinner usually blended meat and veg + baby yogurt + 4 oz milk

3pm - 3 / 4 oz milk

5pm - another dinner or pureed veg + yogurt or fruit puree.

By bed time @ 6.30 about 6 oz drank.

i wont hear from her till 6 and she just wants her dummy then up for day at 7.30.

Do you think daniel will eat more solids, he may not be a milky baby? i introduced each meal slowly one by one not to over do and amber did have a few days of being constipated but gave some water and brown sugar to get her moving and its been like an explosion ever since!! she could poo for britain and its good poo! so many emergency baths lol

i would deffo think about some bulkier solids.....

Alex started eating food regularly only a few days ago.

At the moment his routine is:

booby milk whenever he wants it
+ 1 jar of food once a day at dinner time.

I'll start giving him food twice a day soon.

amzhunny said:
Do you think daniel will eat more solids, he may not be a milky baby? i introduced each meal slowly one by one not to over do and amber did have a few days of being constipated but gave some water and brown sugar to get her moving and its been like an explosion ever since!! she could poo for britain and its good poo! so many emergency baths lol

i would deffo think about some bulkier solids.....

He would def eat as many solids as I would give him! He loves all the purees! But, I am just thinking, that he has to have like 24 oz of milk, and if he will be having more solids, he will have less milk...

Ill try to add one dinner time meal today and see how we go. :D

you can add milk to there meals which counts to there daily amount...i always add some of ambers milk into her dinner / tea

I hope you find something which works and settles Daniel down a little x

amzhunny said:
you can add milk to there meals which counts to there daily amount...i always add some of ambers milk into her dinner / tea

I hope you find something which works and settles Daniel down a little x

He just munched a pot of apple puree, so in about 30 mins (his bedtime, which is an hour later then usual) ill try to give him some milk.

Which baby yougurt are you giving your LO? :hug:

Danone Baby yogurts, i get mine from ASDA £1.77 for 12....Amber will eat a whole pot...they say 6 months old for fromage frais but my HV told me to get amber on them a few weeks ago because she was loosing weight, she has been fine. They did tell me for th first time just give a little bit and wait a while to make sure LO doesnt have an intolerance. Very rare.

Amber was fine and lapped them up.

at 5 months i think millie just had one small jar of fruit puree a day, sometimes no solids. i didnt really try to wean properly until she was 6 months, before that it was a bit hit and miss!

ahhh finally someone with the same problem as me.

Livvy is hardly interested in her milk at all.. only taking like 3oz before bed sometimes, which results in early waking.

I am currently giving her baby cereal called Fruity Breakfast which she likes followed by a little bit of carrot at lunchtime which she does eat.

She was only small at birth being 5lb 12oz, and my guess is she is around 13lb at the moment, which I think is small for her age.

I do worry that she doesn't have enough milk because we are told that milk is still so important at this age... but I want to fill her tummy up and keep the weight on and the only way I can do this is with different solids.

She used to sleep right through the night but now needs a dream feed at 11 and tosses and turns from 3am onwards.. very tiring.

Im desperately looking for a solution, sorry I haven't provided you with one, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

xxxx

I changed Maisie's meals yesterday as she hardly had any porridge in the morning so I gave her some carrot and mash and banana custard at dinner time and she slept till 6.37 this morning!!!!! :clap:

She wasn't even that interested in her baby rice at night so I didn't think she had had enough as other days but she totally surprised me.

She did a number 2 before she went to bed and it had carrot in it so I don't see how that can have filled her up enough to make her sleep through if it had already passed through?

I am totally lost in trying to work out this weaning and feeding business. :wall:

We will have to see what happens tonight but I am going to do the same as yesterday and hopefully we will all get some :sleep: again!

Amzhunny, do you give amber milk or food first?

I give Maisie her milk first and I think that is why she is not as interested in food afterwards but I am worried if I give her food first she will not be interested in her milk and I still want her to mainly have milk at the moment.

Even though she had a dinner and a pudding at lunch time she only took 2 ounce less milk during the day.

TLC - it took alot of trial and error with amber to be honest and took a few weeks to get into the routine we have now.

I always give food first, sometimes she will have a few spoonfuls and want a drink so i give her a drink then back to her food - i have just learnt her signals.

Well done on sleeping till that last this morning!! woo hoo, i take it she hasnt done that before....its suprising how much difference adding a meal can make to be honest.

You may find she goes off the baby rice in the evenin because she is starting to get all these nice flavours such as the carrott and banana and baby rice is quite bland...maybe add a flavour into the rice?

Porridge in the mornin, i vary every few days because amber gets bored too...you can get them in all sorts of flavours...or i found this HIPP jar of yogurty/banana breakfast and she loves it!!!

hope this helps xx

amzhunny said:
how u getting on carina?

Hi there :hug:

Well....Yesterday was quite a good day, Daniel had 3 solid meals and few bottles of milk, but today he is refusing milk at all! :wall: So I just gave him brocolli puree, followed by plum puree. Now my DH is tryin to give him some water, which he is refusing too :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back