Solids schedule

babsi

Reaction score
I am starting Kai on solids in 3 weeks time. I have just found a Canadian schedule and I am sure I won't be following it, could people post here there schedules, so I get a better idea of things. Kai is already on 5 feeds a day @ 7oz's, so that goes out the window. Here is the schedule I found:

6 months:
Early morning - BM or 5-7 oz formula
Breakfast - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp cereal
Lunch - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp pureed veggies
Afternoon - BM or 5-7 oz formula
Supper - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp cereal
Evening - BM or 5-7 oz formula
Night - feedings as needed

7 months:
Early morning - feedings as needed
Breakfast - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 4-6 tsbp cereal, 2-3 tbsp fruit
Lunch - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp veggies, 2-3 tbsp fruit (lumpy pureed)
Afternoon - BM or 5-7 oz formula
Supper - BM or 5-7 oz formula, 4-6 tbsp cereal, 2-4 tbsp fruit
Evening - BM or 5-7 oz formula
Night - feedings as needed

8 months:
Breakfast - BM or 6-8 oz formula, 4-6 tbsp cereal, 2-3 tbsp fruit
Lunch - BM or 6-8 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp strained meat or alternatives, 2-4 tbsp mashed veggies, 2-4 tbsp mashed fruit
Afternoon - BM or 6-8 oz formula
Supper- 4-6 tbsp cereal, 2-4 tbsp mashed veggies or fruit
Evening - BM or 6-8 oz formula

9 months:
Breakfast - BM or 6-8 oz formula, 4-6 tbsp cereal, 2-3 tbsp fruit
Lunch - BM or 6-8 oz formula, 2-4 tbsp strained meat or alternatives, 2-4 tbsp veggie, 2-4 tbsp fruit
Afternoon - BM or 6-8 oz formula
Supper - 4-6 tbsp cereal, 2-4 tbsp strained meat or alternatives, 2-4 tbsp veggie, 2-4 tbsp fruit
Evening - BM or 6-8 oz formula

10, 11, 12 months
Breakfast - 2-4 tbsp fruit, 4-6 tbsp cereal, 1/2 slice dry toast, 2-4 oz homo milk
Morning - BM, 6-8 oz formula or homo milk
Lunch - 2-4 tbsp meat or alternatives, 2-4 tbsp veggie, 2-4 tbsp fruit, 2-3 pz homo milk
Afternoon - BM or 6-8 oz formula or homo milk, snack
Supper - 2-4 tbsp meat or alternatives, 2-4 tbsp veggie, 2-4 tbsp rice or pasta, 2-4 tbsp fruit or yogurt or cottage cheese, 2-3 oz homo milk
Evening - BM or 6-8 oz formula or homo milk.

Braydon is 3 days short of 7 months and this is wot he has

5 AM - 4 oz of milk :twisted: :twisted:
7.30 - 8 AM - 7 table spoons of breakfast (boxed cerial)
10 AM - 9 oz of juice
11.30 AM - 9 oz of juice
12 PM - a 7 month old Jar and a yougart
2 PM - 9 oz of juice
3.30 PM - 9 oz of juice
5 PM - 9 oz of milk
6 PM - the equevalent (spl) of a 7 month old jar but home made food - with fruit
8 PM - 9 oz of milk
9 -9.30 PM 9 0z of milk
obviously this isnt exact but its close enough lol

Brody has been on solid for about 3 week, we have recenlt started doing 3 meals a day as he loves his food :)

7am Breastmilk
9am Baby cereal, about 3 dessertspoons worth.
12pm BM
1pm Veggie puree (about 3 ice cubes worth) followed by a bit of dessert eg mashed banana
3pm BM
5pm Veggie puree (3 cubes, maybe mixed with babyrice to get more milk in him) Followed by dessert eg boxed baby pudding.
8-10 Demand BM
All night long demand BM!

I demand breastfeed him throughout the day, and offer another feed before a meal.

Just wondered if anyone cooks the banana before giving it to their baby? The HV taking our bay massage class today said it's so hard to digest that we should cook it first... I've never heard of this b4?

Lucy

Nope, I just use a very soft one...not too fresh. Annabel Karmen says use fresh but microwave it if you have a very hard one.

Ahh thanks Urchin, that makes sense.

Looking forward to getting that book, my SIL has bought it as a pressie but wants to hand deliver it in 4wks!

Lucy

Forgive me for the amount of questions that I have, but here they are:

1.When I give baby rice for the first time how many parts BR to water? And should the water be boiled first? (just like the bottles)
2.When is the best time to offer it? Before or after a feed or in the middle and what time of day?
3.Should I let him dictate how much he wants at the beginning?
4.Does everything need to be sterlized? (bowls and spoons)
5.If Kai has the baby rice ok, when can I add something else?
6.For the cubes, do I boil the vegetables up, put them in the blender and puree them and then freeze them?
7.When I take the cubes out of the freezer, I guess I let them defrost first, and then how do I heat them up?
8.Kai has his jabs exactly when he is 4 months, should I wait a few days so he gets over a reaction? (he had 1 at his 2 months jabs)

Some of those questions look stupid, but I really don't have a clue where to start. :?

babsi said:
Forgive me for the amount of questions that I have, but here they are:

1.When I give baby rice for the first time how many parts BR to water? And should the water be boiled first? (just like the bottles)
You generally add milk to baby rice, and it's a case of trying and looking at the consistency for yourself. Pour some of baby's regular milk into the rice and stir and leave for one minute....it usually goes solid like a brick...so you just add more milk. At first it needs to be quite runny, a bit like yoghurt consistency.

2.When is the best time to offer it? Before or after a feed or in the middle and what time of day?
I started Brody after his morning feed. At first it's not to fill them up it's to get them used to a new texture.
3.Should I let him dictate how much he wants at the beginning?
For a couple of days you may find he wants none at all. I would stick to making up 1 tsp of dried rice for the first couple of days, and if he takes it, give him a few spoons then quit while your ahead. After a couple of days you can up the amount a little bit.
4.Does everything need to be sterlized? (bowls and spoons)
At first I did, and with my first I did for ages...now I chuck boiling water on everything.
5.If Kai has the baby rice ok, when can I add something else?
This is up to you. I gave Brody rice for 3 days, some people say one or even 2 weeks.
6.For the cubes, do I boil the vegetables up, put them in the blender and puree them and then freeze them?
That what I do yeah, some people steam or microwave them.
7.When I take the cubes out of the freezer, I guess I let them defrost first, and then how do I heat them up?
I do mine in the microwave, but not till they are boling hot, just warmed through or they lose nutrients.
8.Kai has his jabs exactly when he is 4 months, should I wait a few days so he gets over a reaction? (he had 1 at his 2 months jabs)
Again, that's up to you, personally, I probably would wait and let him get over that.

Thanks urchin, a lot of that makes sense now.

Regarding the baby rice, I got a brand called milupa and I am just looking at it now and it says that it has 35% of formula in it and just to add water. I guess things are a little different here.

BTW do you get cereals there with the fruit already added? And I will probably get Kai onto that when he has mastered vegetables.

Just another thought, when we are out I will be doing the jars (a lot easier) can that mess him around if I do that?

babsi said:
Thanks urchin, a lot of that makes sense now.

Regarding the baby rice, I got a brand called milupa and I am just looking at it now and it says that it has 35% of formula in it and just to add water. I guess things are a little different here.
Yeah that's different from the brand I have, lucky you!
BTW do you get cereals there with the fruit already added? And I will probably get Kai onto that when he has mastered vegetables.
Yes, there is a big range of Heinz and cow and gate packets, just add water, eg "sunshine banana breakfast" and "oats with apple cereal" Brody loves these.

Just another thought, when we are out I will be doing the jars (a lot easier) can that mess him around if I do that?

It's fine to mix and match, just take it slowley at first, and then bring in jars in a week or so. I scoop half a jar into a sterilised tub as he only has small portions so I can get 2 servings out of one jar still for now. Also if you feed straight out of the jar and they don't eat much of it you have to chuck it away as the spoon has been in their mouth and in the food.

lol Bayley has:

5:30- 5oz formula
7:30- 3oz formula and boxed cereal (as much as he wants lol) about 4-8 tbsp
10- squash
12- 8oz formula and a rusk
1:30- squash and 1/2 6+ month jar
3- squash/water
4:30- 6-9oz formula
6- 1 6+ month jar (fruit or veg) and water/squash
8- 8oz formula
10:30- 6-9oz formula
thru the night he sometimes has water