• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many years between babies?

Our gorgeous little boy is 9months old and were now expecting our 2nd which is due in March ;-) xxxxx

My kids are 13, 9 and 2x 3 lol, some big gaps there, never planned it that way xx

I was gonna say the same as DW. We decided to TTC once our first was at least in nursery for her free 15 hours a week as otherwise I we just couldn't afford the cost of childcare! Just to put it into perspective we were spending £365 a month just for 2 days care in a private nursery! We were lucky that grandparents had her for 3 days a week. We couldn't afford for me to be at home and working part time didn't work out financially either at that time. I got a much higher paid job when I went back to work after my Mat Leave so my career has been pretty good with one child. I went back to work when she was 8 months. We started to TTC once Grace was just short of 2 and a half but unfortunately we lost our son who was born at 30 weeks a few days after birth :(

We unexpectedly fell pregnant again once Grace once 3 and a half, she starts school in Sept and baby is due in October - so actually for us this is perfect timing :)

I just found that once Grace was here I wanted to enjoy her and dedicate my time to her and only her. She is now old enough to appreciate her sibling and excitedly talks about how she will help with baby. She is such a well rounded, happy and content child so I feel that even if this one is a little more difficult things will be much easier than having two so young. We just knew when it felt right for us to TTC and alot of this was due to finances!! But, we have been able to buy a bigger house etc before this one comes along as we have been sensible with money.

Another reason was I only one at anyone time in nappies!! Much easier!

Im now in a position that I may be able to not go back to work or at the very most part time after this LO. I'm actually considering doing a degree starting from Sept 2012 :)

Big age gap for me I'm afraid.

But this is all down to breastfeeding problems, and pressure to keep doing it. I basically didn't enjoy the first 18 months of my childs life at all.

This is why in another post about breast feeding etc, i recommended doing what you bloody well like and not trying to please others expectations!

I am doing absolutely everything different this time round in the hope that I will get used to the baby straight away! :)

I was gonna say the same as DW. We decided to TTC once our first was at least in nursery for her free 15 hours a week as otherwise I we just couldn't afford the cost of childcare! Just to put it into perspective we were spending £365 a month just for 2 days care in a private nursery! We were lucky that grandparents had her for 3 days a week. We couldn't afford for me to be at home and working part time didn't work out financially either at that time. I got a much higher paid job when I went back to work after my Mat Leave so my career has been pretty good with one child. I went back to work when she was 8 months. We started to TTC once Grace was just short of 2 and a half but unfortunately we lost our son who was born at 30 weeks a few days after birth :(

We unexpectedly fell pregnant again once Grace once 3 and a half, she starts school in Sept and baby is due in October - so actually for us this is perfect timing :)

I just found that once Grace was here I wanted to enjoy her and dedicate my time to her and only her. She is now old enough to appreciate her sibling and excitedly talks about how she will help with baby. She is such a well rounded, happy and content child so I feel that even if this one is a little more difficult things will be much easier than having two so young. We just knew when it felt right for us to TTC and alot of this was due to finances!! But, we have been able to buy a bigger house etc before this one comes along as we have been sensible with money.

Another reason was I only one at anyone time in nappies!! Much easier!

Im now in a position that I may be able to not go back to work or at the very most part time after this LO. I'm actually considering doing a degree starting from Sept 2012 :)

thanks very much laura, so sorry to hear of you losing your little boy.

its really interesting to hear of everyone's experiences. maybe i should wait until my first is at nursery school. when i go back to work it will be at least £50 per day for nursery care. i'm considering going back for 3 days a week so that will cost us £600 per month :(

xxxx

Well I have finished my family -but I did alot of good level sport so thought the same as you - get it out of the way around winter sport seasons and get back to it which I managed to do.

I have two boys 23 months apart, which was nice , then I have a daughter 13 mths gap between boy number 2 and her , this gap was chalenging, like my son only just learnt to walk when I was in hosp from my c-section from her ! (missed it) and so when I came home he needed carrying upstairs, as well as new baby! I had a double side by side pushchair with a buggy board on the back. Actually once the kids got a bit older , like nursery school age, I found this close gap much more doable and great. You only have one year between the kids and so clubs, nursery etc pickups can be at the same time, or you just get one year with two differnt pickups and then it changes to them both having same pickup, but only for a year, everthing seems to rotate around 2 years, etc eg beavers 6-8 cubs 8-10 etc for example!!

Also worth thinking about if you can , hard with TTC luck and MC's etc , but think about seasons, seperate birthdays etc I have Xmas , then two boys bdays in Jan, one boy bday in Feb, my daughters bday in march, then OH in april and it's a nightmare for money!! By July for mine there is nothing left!!

Also someone menationed kids and Uni, actually my different worry with this, having enougth to help them as they are all so close in age as opose to my youngest son Devon who is 9 years younger than my daughter , we should be fine to help him as the other will be so far ahead and have finished uni by then, but I could have three kids at uni esp if the eldest does one of those gap years!! Nightmare , I might have to limit my help to mum food parcels and washing....

Having had Devon so much later than the others, wow what a nice age gap!! all my kids have shared in the pregancy process (well from 17 weeks when we told them) - and they came to the 20 week scan, they loved it, was like a biology lesson! They were fantastic when I was in hosp and my eldest at 12 is great at walking him round and holding him. My clumsy 10 year old is better for playing with Devon, and my daughter loves bum changes, bathing and dressing him (naturally!). I have the time for him and them as there needs are so different. I am enjoying it more , but having said that I'm older and i thought I was finished and now less selfish than I was when kids were small.

I couldn't have afforded to work with more than one in childcare, don't know anyone that could off

Having said all that any age gap will have its pros and cons

Last edited:
thanks hun, how lovely to have your kids at ur scan :love:

its a good point about physically handling two small ones. it took me 11 months to get my bfp this time around so i guess i'm thinking about that too.

by the way, i love the name Devon xx

There will be a 18 month gap between my LO and this pregnancy :) xx

sent by my sick arse HTC ;)

My niece turned 1 in June and she's due emy nephew in 3 weeks.. Self employed hairdresser now.. She's finding it hard to bring up my niece and be heavily pregnant and working at the same time.. But the kids will grow up together so benefit that way and yeah, gets it out the way in the nicest way possible.. There's 3 years between my girls and was some jealousy there but she's always doted on her sister but now she has a mind of her own there are arguments lol!! There will be 4 and a half years between Ellie and this one (not planned) and I don't think she will take to it well as she's always been my baby girl.. Hoping for a boy so she will always be my baby girl :)
Was kinda gutted in a way as my life was just able to start as mum only just started having them for me coz they are older so I kinda have to start all over again.. If this labour goes well and baby behaves (lol) I'd prefer a smaller age gap between this one and the next one.. Sounds selfish but it's hard not to be :(
There's pros and cons to both small and big age gaps it just depends what works around you really x

my oldest is 5 in september, my 2nd will be 2 and a half and this lil one will be newborn. theres exactly a gap of two and a half years between each of them x

im not sure to be honest... realistically we cant ttc next one until summer 2014 cos im going to uni for two years starting sept 2012 but really i would like some work in my field under my belt b4 mat leave so maybe longer... more like summer 2015 when my LO will be 4 and a half !! scary !! so thats over a 5 year gap... but then again if things happen they happen and i would gladly have another one from when my LO is 3 onwards. Id like this age so hes in nursery, grown up enough to understand, well out of nappies etc basically a 'big boy' lol ! xx

There's a year and 17 days between my two! I love it! They drive me crazy at times, but they're so close it's crazy! And my mini one who's like 19 months has seen her sister potty training and has also decided to give it a go which is well fab! I'm wtt for at least another 2 years, but I'd love another now!

There is 11 months between my first 2 sons then a 2 year gap for my second son another 2 year gap for my daughter then 4 years for my next son then 3 for my little girl they are all pretty close to each other the older ones dote on the smaller ones and the ones close in age are good friends they only 2 that clash a bit are the 2 that are the closest in age nut i have to say they are getting closer the older they get x

My age gaps have got smaller with each one I think as my confidence has grow as a mum, I was 19 when I had my first loved every moment but was in no great hurry to have another we started ttc when he was 2 1/2 so there just over a 3 year gap I did think it was big at first but I feel I needed it, 3rd time there's a 2 year gap and now pregnant with my 4th and they will only be an 18 month gap. I think if I'd of had the 18 month gap after my first I would of found it hard but now I have a house full already what's one more lol

There's a 15 month age gap between my boys, but at the time I was a full time mum. Even though it was hard, I wouldn't change it! Jay copied everything Conner did! So he was much easier to potty train and so on! We said that we wouldn't have anymore due to complications in both pregnancy's! However Jay is 12 next month & Conner is 13 & look where we are now! I only plan on going back to work on reception after LO is born, and my mum will be having her for the few hours I do, so I am lucky. X x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back