How long until I find out about my midwife, etc?

moss

Reaction score
I found out I was pregnant on the Thursday before Christmas and went to the GP on the 27th. We estimate that I am about 10 or 11 weeks, but we don't know because I have PCOs. I haven't heard about midwife or scan appointments at all yet. How long does it normally take? I have no idea what to expect!

Hi Moss, I expect it differs from surgery to surgery but when I had my GP appointment, I was not automatically assigned a midwife. I called the surgery to book a midwife appointment afterwards. In fact, the GP didn't even mention getting a midwife appointment. I assumed it would automatically happen since my pregnancy was confirmed and so I left it a little long before booking my initial appointment. :wall: It may be worth calling the surgery to check your situation.

I went to the doctors on the 27th and it was confermed i was PG. he said he would write to the hospital then and get it sent off.. Still havent heard anything. Im only 8 weeks so i don't know wots happening.
Id really like a midwife.. i have so many questions and i need my mind at ease.
Im gonna ring on monday. i need a docs apointed as my back is really playing up.. i think i over did it at work 2day. babys in a bad mood with me lol

Hi! Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I have no idea what you can expect, however it's good to hear from other people about what's happened so you can get a better idea;

I found out I was PG 2/3 weeks ago and had to wait for the midwife to call me to discuss our first appt. She called and I've got an appt with her for blood tests etc on 20/01 when I'll be about 10 weeks gone.

Received a letter this morning for my first scan date (beginning on Feb).

I'd probably call your GP just to confirm what happens next and when...

Congrats again! xx

Thanks everyone. When I went to the GP I filled out some forms, and I think she made it sound like I would hear when the next step came, but I am starting to get impatient! I guess I will just have to call to find out unless I get a letter on Monday. It can be a real pain to call over there, though!

Hi,

I'm in scotland too and where I am the booking in appointment should be about 12 weeks - when u get a scan. U will hear something soon so don't worry

Thanks. I thought it would be really fast since I might be very close to 12 weeks already, but maybe I am just going to find out at the last minute. I'm also worried that I am way off about the date, and that the scan will show me at a month or something. Ha.

There might be a waiting list - my 12 week scan was scheduled for when I was 16 weeks cos of a waiting list. I didn't have my booking appointment till I was 16 weeks but got my scan earlier (13 weeks) as I was in hospital.

They won't have forgotten - just being slow

Don't worry about it, I think every area works slightly differently, but in any case your doctor will usually refer you to a midwife by sending a form to your local unit. Then it's generally up to the midwife to contact you and make an appointment. It can take a couple of weeks or more sometimes, just depends how many ladies they are looking after at any one time. Simoultaneously your scan date should be arranged so you may even receive contact from your midwife and scan unit around the same time. Having said that, obviously every doctors surgery work differently so if you are at all concerned then the best thing to do is contact them directly. The receptionist should be able to tell you how it works in your area without having to see the doc, remember they see hundreds of pregnant women each year so general routines are in place to follow.

In any case, I would expect a scan and m/w to see you before about 14 weeks unless there is a major back up. Don't worry, just relax and enjoy it! The later you have a scan the more you will be able to see anyway!!
Hope this helps. Lol Lisa x

Bee said:
There might be a waiting list - my 12 week scan was scheduled for when I was 16 weeks cos of a waiting list. I didn't have my booking appointment till I was 16 weeks but got my scan earlier (13 weeks) as I was in hospital.

They won't have forgotten - just being slow

Hi Bee where abouts in Scotland are you? i stay just outside of Edinburgh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back