How long should baby feed for at 7-8 weeks?

littlebump

Reaction score
Hiya

Thought I'd ask as Amelie only seems to want to feed for up to 20 minutes at a time most feeds (previously it was more like 40 minutes). She's gaining weight nicely but I just wondered if it's contributing to her feeding more frequently (she seems to cluster feed throughout the afternoon and evening)

LBxx

She's probably becoming more of an efficient feeder now she's getting a bit older and better at breastfeeding, and the cluster feeding could be due to your supply being a bit slower during late afternoon and evening, plus she's stocking up for the night. How is she sleeping?

not sleeping too well in that she doesn't settle in her cot - hates being on her back so every time I sneak her in she wakes up again. Eventually by around 2am I'm so exhausted I end up feeding her laid down in bed and we both fall asleep in bed. I know this isn't recommended but I don't know what else to do. Even then she wakes 2-3 times for a feed. The last week has been terrible but she's had a real growth spurt - put on 21oz in 13 days! (she had some catching up to do though!)

LBxx

littlebump said:
not sleeping too well in that she doesn't settle in her cot - hates being on her back so every time I sneak her in she wakes up again. Eventually by around 2am I'm so exhausted I end up feeding her laid down in bed and we both fall asleep in bed. I know this isn't recommended but I don't know what else to do. Even then she wakes 2-3 times for a feed. The last week has been terrible but she's had a real growth spurt - put on 21oz in 13 days! (she had some catching up to do though!)

LBxx

I co-slept with Seren. It is actually safe if you follow the guidelines, i.e don't do it if you are taking medication that makes you drowsy, had alcohl, smoke, don't put them under duvet, near pillow etc etc. I found that this really helped and actually helped me to get my milk supply up. As she got older she even used to latch herself on without waking me up fully. Plus its great for mum, as it means you get more rest. So don't beat yourself up about that, sounds like you are doing a fab job!!!!!

Babies feed for different amounts of time, Jack only feeds for about 10 minutes now on one side and is thriving, it just depends on the baby.

I co-sleep with Jack a lot because he is such a bad sleeper, otherwise I would never get any sleep. The following might help you out a little with co-sleeping:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

They have some really good guidelines.

Sometimes we just have to do what we feel is right. I personally think sleeping with your baby is the most natural thing in the world, they do it in lots of other cultures whilst breastfeeding.

D has always tended to eat more in the mrnings i think ti may just be her way...If she has just had a growth spurt she may also be exhasuted i know D is when he has his and he also can't decide if he is more hungry or tired

i never got to grips with feeding lying down but now D is older I enjoy an hour and cuddle in bed in the morning...You have to do what works for you and Your LO

Littlebump - Alex sleeps in his cot at first then when he wakes up he comes in with DH and I for the rest of the night, he has been since he was born. It makes nightfeeding loads easier, don't feel bad about it loads of people do it :)

Becky101 said:
I co-sleep with Jack a lot because he is such a bad sleeper, otherwise I would never get any sleep. The following might help you out a little with co-sleeping:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

They have some really good guidelines.

thanks - that was an interesting read - I don't feel so bad about it now especially as I had instinctively been following the guidelines anyway.

LBxx

Kina said:
Littlebump - Alex sleeps in his cot at first then when he wakes up he comes in with DH and I for the rest of the night, he has been since he was born. It makes nightfeeding loads easier, don't feel bad about it loads of people do it :)

That's funny - the rare times she's actually settled in her cot, she's always ended up in our bed by 4am...

Thanks for all your replies - I do feel a lot better about the co-sleeping thing.

LBxx

:hug: littlebump :hug: I think Amelia will let you know when she wants to feed and for how long so don't you worry :D Isaac can feed for anything between 3-35mins at a feed, I put it down to sometimes he's just a bit thirsty, othertimes he's real hungry :lol:

As for the sleeping together, I never thought I'd do this either, but it was the most natural and loveliest things I ever did with Isaac, its perfectly normal and safe to sleep with your LO. You help regulate your LO's breathing and temperature, so I am glad you're finding it works for you both :hug:

Kina said:

We do it sometimes too.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back