How long does your baby latch on for?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Nutrition' started by Lulabell, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Lulabell

Lulabell Well-Known Member

Seems like Joshua can be on for over an hour sometimes. Is this normal?xx

2. Sarah13

Sarah13 Well-Known Member

Yes it is! They need to suckle lots in the first few weeks to increase your milk supply even if they are not actually getting much, I remember Kynon having an hour on then hour off! Drink plenty and eat lots of good food to keep your strength up. They get much more efficient and Kynon can now drain a boob in 10 mins although quite often normally at night and evening he will take an hour to do both sides but I think this is because my milk isn't so good at night.

3. Smithy1980

Smithy1980 Well-Known Member

^wss my LO is exactly the same now! I almost miss sitting for an hour as used to get some tv in lol! Now it's 10 mins here and there and longer on a night! Xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

4. Maria1977

Maria1977 Well-Known Member

I BF my son until he was 1 year old and up until he was 4 months old he could be latched on to me for hourssss. I used to watch alot of films during that time lol Once he hit 4 months he got quicker and was more into other things then, and once he was sitting up at 6 months he went down to 3 feeds per day which would last between 10/20 mins.

It gets easier!

5. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

5-15mins except in the evenings when he spends from 7pm-8pm is attached until bed. He drifts if to a light sleep but wakes as soon as I move the boob away lol!

6. catty1

catty1 Well-Known Member

Make the most of it, you'll miss it when it stops. Owen literally takes under 2 mins to feed and has done since about 3 months. He doesn't even feed that often (2-3 hours). I would love to sit and spend a decent amount of time having cuddles

7. Lisa_85

Lisa_85 Well-Known Member

Issac was 10 mins on 1boob then 10mins on each boob. I'm topping him up with formula as he is too lazy to stay on and just screams. Its totally normal to have a LO latched for an hour tho x

8. Alexandra84

Alexandra84 Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. LO used to be the same at that age. They do get more efficient later, now she can drain a breast in about 10min :).