how long does weaning take

trixipaws

Reaction score
iv got 2 go back 2 work in february when millie will be 8 months old. my HV said it takes 17 weeks to wean a baby, which means id need 2 start in october, but she'll only be 4 months! i dont really wanna start til shes 6 months.
it will be part-time, so 2 mornings or evenings a week and saturdays 9-5. i need her 2 be able 2 do without me for that long! btw she wont take a bottle! if i start weaning in december will she be down to 2 feeds (morning&nite) by february? or do i really need 2 try 2 get her 2 take bottles?

iv got 2 go back 2 work in february when millie will be 8 months old. my HV said it takes 17 weeks to wean a baby, which means id need 2 start in october, but she'll only be 4 months! i dont really wanna start til shes 6 months.
it will be part-time, so 2 mornings or evenings a week and saturdays 9-5. i need her 2 be able 2 do without me for that long! btw she wont take a bottle! if i start weaning in december will she be down to 2 feeds (morning&nite) by february? or do i really need 2 try 2 get her 2 take bottles?

I went back to work when Ellie was 5 months. This was the main reason I started weaning Ellie when she was 4 months (I also did feel she was ready for it and certainly took well to it). However she still needed 2 bottles while at work. I am trying to remember when she dropped the midmorning bottle. I seem to remember it was about 7 months. She then dropped the mid afternoon (2pm) at 11 months.

However I think Ellie was a bit slow in dropping the bottles etc mainly because she kept picking up colds not long after going to nursery which meant she was very phlemmy and that put her of solids.

As to taking bottles. Ellie wouldn't take a bottle when she first went to nursery and she was only taking between 2 and 3oz in the 8hrs she was there. Over time she upped this to 12-14oz a day. See the thread below about not taking a bottle and the link I put in there.

My advice at the end of all that is to leave weaning until you think she is ready. If you are not there and you leave a bottle of expressed milk she will either take it or wait until you are back with her.

Hi trixi,

Have you thought of trying her to feed out of a doidy cup or similar so she can still get her milk? I've no advice on the weaning though, so sorry!

Love

Valentine xxx

I have just bought a doidy cup off ebay for the same reason..come six months there is a far wider choice of cup...I don't think weaning ealry would help your situation to be honest..

My pidatrician said i could lenghten D's feeds now as he still likes ahourly feeds but has only been weaned for a few months

have others tried giving her a bottle when you are not around ( ie go for abth then she won't think you are available for milk

Hi

I dont see why you cant start to wean once she is 6 months hun. gives yoy two months to wean should be more then enough.... good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back