how do you teach a child words

blueberry

Reaction score
i currently have a 14 month old daughter who is extreamly fast in the physical development but when it comes to talking we have mamma, dadda, nanna and grandma and thats it im just wondering if any on on here has any suggestions to how i can try to teach her new words and how you as a parent got on. thank you chloe x

We didn't do anything in particular. Cam took ages to talk, but it came all at once very suddenly. We just made sure when he tried to say something like mom and he'd say 'ma' we'd say yes 'mommy' that's right!!

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

Talk to her a lot about everything you are doing . "Shall we put your shoes on ? What colour is your t-shirt ? " always give her a chance to respond even if it's just babble . Lots of nursery rhymes and action songs I find my little ladies loved songs with actions .

Games like pretending to cook or counting blocks or even counting the stairs when you walk up or down them can be fun too ? Just constant interaction and (I don't know if you have the tv on ) limit the amount of tv time as it doesn't give them a chance to speak . I hope that helps ? It sounds like your lo is doing really well though x

I'm a reception teacher sorry for tri hoping but download development matters document( google it) and its a Download. Its what we use to teach our children. Its starts at 0 months so shows u what is natural development but gives u suggestions on how to achieve the targets through urself and an enabling environment. Hope that helps

Definitely limited TV. Singing like twinkle twinkle little,,,,,,,,,,, an let them say star etc, even if its not star they come out with at first it's just helping them sense a pattern and responding. Also say a word and as u say it hol their hand on your voice box so they can feel the vibrations, helps them grasp different sounds and how to say them

We did baby signing with lily and i swear that really helped her. She's always been a very good talker. It's meant to teach them the value of communication and encourage them to use their words more.

Her development sounds quite like my DD, she is very advanced physically, but doesn't say much, in contrast her wee friend who is 6months older, spoke really early and says lots at 20 months didn't take her first steps till 19Months, compared to Georgia's 10months.

They can't learn everything at the same time. G signs a lot, and her words are starting to come on now, it's almost as if she's happy that she can do all the physical things she wants so she'll start practicing to speak now.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

They say they are either a walker or a talker?! Don't know how true that is but I guess your right Lorna, they can't do it all at once. My girl said mama at 5 months and I've been saying dada to her since then. Only today did she say it and she's nearly 8months.

A speech and language therapist told me that their little brains are like a filing cabinet. They hear lots of words, store them away and then randomly come out with them when they feel like it. Once they start there is usually no stopping :) interestingly there was a thread recently in b&t on how to help them say words. Something to do with the vibrations of sound on the palm of their hands. I try it but Daisy Grace just giggles?. Xxx

My lo is 23 months and is a great talker. We didn't do anything in particular, just played with him, spoke to him and explained what we were doing.
I did take him to baby signing classes but he never paid attention to that really and after over a year of classes still only does 2 signs!
I don't necessarily agree that limited tv is the answer. Our tv is on all day, for background noise more than anything. Lo doesn't spend all day in front of the tv. He has a couple of fave programmes he will watch but the rest of the time he's playing. I think that by hearing talking for most of the day has helped his speech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back