How do you cope? (Cluster Feeding)

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
Alanna 'cluster feeds' from about 11pm till about 2am.. Constantly wanting on the boob, and any tiny hint of losing the nipple sends her into a kicking screaming fit.. I gave in last night and gave her 4 ounces EBM in the bottle which sent her to sleep.. But I dont want to keep doing that as I dont want to ruin my supply..

Im getting so tired during these that i cant stay awake enough to feed her for so long, and my nipples turn into fiery painfull gnawed on nubs. (Thats when I gave in for the bottle, i was just in too much pain to carry on) And then I feel awful cause I feel like im not feeding her enough, and she acts so frustrated with me!

Also, she normally falls asleep during a feed, and then I put her down.. But she will wake up 15 minutes later screaming for more. How can I wake her up when she is on the boob to carry on the feed so she gets a decent one then will sleep properly? I have already started stripping her down to her vest for feeds but still she falls asleep.

Feeling the strain big time..

This is how Tegan was to start with i even tried giving her a dummy but she wouldn't take it! i ended up laying on my side with her on her side next to me that way i could doze whilst she fed, i promise it does get better x

If George is properly falling asleep and I know he hasnt had enough to fill him up then I change his nappy (which leads to him screaming his way through the change!) and this wakes him up again and he sucks with gusto after a change.

This is how Tegan was to start with i even tried giving her a dummy but she wouldn't take it! i ended up laying on my side with her on her side next to me that way i could doze whilst she fed, i promise it does get better x

Ive tried that, but my boob moves..(Or rather drops to lie on the mattress) and she cant stay latched on without me holding it in place.. defeating the entire purpose LOL damn big boobs :wall2:

Ive tried that, but my boob moves..(Or rather drops to lie on the mattress) and she cant stay latched on without me holding it in place.. defeating the entire purpose LOL damn big boobs :wall2:

I did have that trouble to start with but she got the hang of it, i know what you mean about big Boobs mine have gone Upto an F cup! x

I had this with alex I cried and cried when hubby woke me up to say Alex needed a feed it was so hard but now he has a feed before we go to bed and then sleeps through and he is only 3 weeks x Keep going hun x

i did the same as zmd. i prop myself with cushions so my boobs drop in just the right place lol. soon enough, her tum will be bigger and she'll sleep for longer.
have you tried lansinoh cream for sore boobs?
my hv always suggested tickling the ear to stir them enough to resume feeding. x

lansinoh is my best friend lol definately helping to stop them crack (which they were in hospital) but she bites.. so they get bruised :( ear tickling not workin (she is asleep on the boob as i type lol) will try propping up with pillows etc tonight

My LO is 16 days old and i am finding he is awake screaming between around midnight and 2am with wanting to be on the boob and then he falls asleep too and as soon as i put him back in his basket he wakes up again and wants back on, it does me in to cos i am just so tired and have resorted to sleeping on the sofa cos LO wakes up our 14 month old who also shares our room and then we are all awake for hours! I did wonder if it was the fact he wanted to be near me to feel safe as he settles fine if he is hugged but as soon as he is away he starts again and wants to be settled via breastfeeding....have u tried a swaddle blanket with your smell on it to see if she will settle better after a feed, i tried it last night and it worked, not too sure it will work tonight tho! fingers crossed :)

Evie started sleeping through at 3 weeks and still is. I got so upset in the first few weeks as my nipple cracked and bled and every time i put her on it woulget get worse.
Everytime I fed her I was in tears in agony and on a few occasions nearly sent OH to 24hr Tesco in the middle of the night for formula! I'd nearly fall asleep upright whilst feeding her then wake up lying down in bed wondering where she was after forgetting i'd put her back to bed! lol!
It is hard to start off with but keep at it - you're doing a brilliant job :) x

my mw said to me that its only for comfort..
Also, if shes constantly on the boob she will only eat little at time. After i been stuck 7 hours with Noa 1 night i started to refuse him the boob for 2 hours at the time, so he got the chanse to become really hungry for his next feed. it is hard work, he would scream his heart out, but it works. just comfort in other ways. I walked back n forward with a screaming Noa n didnt give in until it was exaccly 2 hours between.
it will be better, it will all be worth it. you are doin fab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back