how did you manage????

charlibear85

Reaction score
hiya wasnt quite sure where this should go but never mind,

i am on maternity leave from work and OH works full time he is self employed, when my maternity leave is up i wanna be a full time mum but there is no way i could do that as we couldnt live on just OH wages, if i left work when maternity leave is up is there any beneifts i could claim????

how do all you full time mums manage? its just so confusing how u can afford to live, do you claim benefits or does your OH just earn enough for you to all live on?

any advice you might have would be great

thanks

love charl
xxxx

im hoping to work just 16 hours a week then you can claim working tax credit.. which is about 5k a year.. plus you get child tax credit.. which is about 1.5k a year.

or you could just do avon or some thing similar lol

Hi Charlibear,
I have the exact same question as you!
One thing I know is that if you have been working for the last 2 years up untill your maternety leave for 16hours a week or more, you can claim Contribution Based JSA for up to 6 months, (about £50 per week) as you will have been making NI contributions. You need to state that you left your last job due to caring responsibilities and that you are avaliable to work 16 hours a week. Other than that Im not totally sure what you can get. It pees me off that you can clim loads of benefits if your patner dosent work, but if your partner works full time you dont seem to be able to get much. My OH earns enough for us to get by paying the bills and putting food on the table, but other than that I wont have a penny to buy anything with!
Im going in to see citizens advice on Thursday to find out exacly what benefits I can claim, so I will let you know after if that helps.

Hi Girls,

When my maternity leave was up with Amy i went to citizens advice to see if there was anything i could claim to help me, as we couldn't afford for me to go back to work cos nursery is too expensive, she said i couldn't claim any thing cos Andy was earning over 11,000 a year and that tax credits and family allowence are the only things i could claim.
At the time i got £45 a week tax credits and £17 a week child benefit but thats all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back