How bad can teething be? Fine with his first, def not now!

KJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ash had his first 2 teeth last week. He was great, I didn't really notice anything different with him, until I saw the teeth!

However, today he is awful! He had a screaming session this afternoon and then he went to bed ok, and just woke half an hour ago screaming his head off again! He did have a few burps so I was hoping that's all it was, but he seemed in so much pain.

He would settle on me or hubby for a few secs, and then have a few screams and then settle again and then scream, etc, etc. I mean really bad screaming, to the point of nearly making himself sick.

We gave him calpol, checked for any rashes, checked his temperature, checked his nappy, etc, etc. We both rocked him for about 20 mins in total. And he just settled better towards the end. I've just put him down and he seems to be asleep.

My question is; can teething be this bad? He was so good last week, I'm worried it's something really serious. Can babies get this upset when their teeth come through?

K.xx

Teething can be that bad unfortunately :( :hug: :hug: :hug:
Teething powders and/or Bonjela are helpful, as well as Nurofen/Calpol if he's having trouble sleeping, but just give him plenty to chew on, Bickiepegs are great, something cold, store a teether in the fridge overnight etc
Really hope he's better for you soon, it does come and go and it really can unsettle them ,as it can cause neck and head aches, as much as the pain from their gums :hug: :hug: :hug:

sounds familiar. :( my LO was so different for weeks and weeks with her first two teeth. Woke about 8- 10 times a night, started screaming before bed every night, crying all the time etc.

I read your other post about Asher and solids. He might be off his food because of the teeth. My LO refused all solids for 2 weeks and went back on to milk 100% after being on them for a couple of months. I had a battle like you - she just cried every time I tried to feed her - so in the end I just put her back on Aptamil until I noticed she had settled down again through the day and night. Then she ate normally again. ONly took about 2 or 3 days for her to be back on 3 or 4 little meals a day.

Sorry this is long :hug:

sounds liek teething hun, my LO has just had her first tooth also and only was a bit whingy we didnt even notice either but im expection her to be bad in the next week or so because often when they have their first one through 2 or three follow straight after and it does get worse. from experience with my eldest the teething powders were great.

xxxxxx

I can sympathise although none of Maddison's teeth have come through yet :(
Its such a horrible cry, Maddison's is more like she is furious with me, she screeches :(

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The cry is awful, he goes bright red and his little tongue is just vibrating inside his open mouth, it's soo horrible.

I've got some of the teething powders. Bought them ages ago, just got to remember where I put them! Do you have to use them on their own or can you also give calpol if it's really bad?

I'm now checking all the time for more teeth but it's only the bottom 2 at the moment.

K.xx

Yes, Cara used to scream whenever I gave her solids, especially if they were warm. She wouldn't settle on our laps and just seemed very grumpy. We had plenty of cold teething rings, offered cold water and rubbed bonjela on her gums which helped, and occasionally calprofen if it didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back