How Awful

think what you want but i don't believe that rottweilders and pitt bulls etc should be kept as pets.

no matter how you look at it the statistics are there. They attack and kill.
A yorkshire terrior could indeed kill a child but its unlikely. They tends to nip and maybe rag around a bit and its easier to maybe fight them off. But take a rottweilder and they take hold of something and thats it they don't let go.

Its the last thing ill say on this topic.

There are dog bred for pets and dogs bred for attacking and guarding. The two should not be mixed.

no there isnt seperate breeds you can teach any dog to kill..rottie just get tought more often cause they are big and strong! It is how the OWNERS bring them up and train them..in such a case it is the owners fault NOT the dog!

Rotties are aggressive when trained to be, i tell you what if you take a rottie and a yorkie and keep them both as nice little pets the one most likely to be the more aggressive natrually will be the yorkie!

I breed english bull terriers and have had rotties all my life, id kill the owners not the dogs, they aint born nauturally agressive its put into them, what you put in you get out. Yorkies are just as bad, my cousin got bit in the face witha jackrussel and had terrible scars, small dogs are more agressive naturally than the bigger ones, but with any dogs owners should have them under control at all times. My dogs would never hurt Kaiden but id never leave him un atended with them even though i do trust them 100%. People whos dogs kill humans should be jailed as though they comitted murder, the poor dog has been used as a weapon. XKelX

small dogs are more agressive naturally than the bigger ones,

Im glad someone else is with me on that point, if people have ever worked with dogs, or owned alot of dogs this is plain to see! :clap:

Of course all dogs have the potential to turn and be vicious.....but some breeds of dog are more temperamental than others. They are more likely to attack somebody.

No child should be left alone with any dog, but in terms of which dogs are more likely to attack somebody, rottweilers are one of these such breeds.

I don't think the size of the dog has anything to do with it....it depends how much instinct the particular breed retains from before people started trying to domesticate wolves. Some breeds of dog have been bred away from being wolf-like that much that the they are far more unlikely to be dangerous.

Others still closely resemble wolves...either in looks, or in personality.

Husky dogs for example look very wolf like. Others, like Rottweilers, still have the wolf instinct which will make them more likely to turn on humans.

Practically every time there is a dog attack, the owners are always quoted as saying "I can't understand it. "Fido" was always such a placid gentle dog!"

Dogs that retain a large amount of this instinct are very unpredictable, and as such, are unsuitable to be a family pet.

As I said though, ALL dogs are descended from wolves though, and as such, even the breeds that are very far "diluted" should not be trusted to be left alone with an infant.

budge said:
i hear what you all say but when was the last time you heard of a yorkshire terrior killing a child? :think:

I did actually - two dogs a minature poodle and a yorkie were left with a baby, and they attacked it , baby was in intensive care i never heard whether baby survived or not. it was in the veterinary news, they managed to keep in out of the tabloids.

Pitbull terrriers as far as i know are under the dangerous dogs act, they have to be muszzled at all times and on a lead.

Beanie, kas, cassi and KX i totally agree with what you are saying..

The papers also play on this and will report things about big dog breeds but never mention attacks by terriers - these dogs are bred to kill - rabbits, mink, rats.

Having worked with dogs in my proffesion for over 10 years i have ALWAY found small dogs more agressive and unpredictable than the larger breeds,

Dogs need to be trained properly, the owners are the ones that cause problems.

I would love to see people having to go through a dog ownership course, and a dog training as compulsory as many owers don;t have a clue and will train their dog to be agressive without realising the problems.

Don't judge dogs or any animal untill you know and have worked with them not all dogs are bad, cats can be just as nasty.

i think personally, that dogs and children under the age of 5 do not mix. why do you think that dog kennels dont home the dogs to people with children under 5.

i agree that all dogs can be dangerous, and a terrier is probably more likely to attack than a rottweiler, as it is terrier breed, ie a bit bull terrier, staffordshire terrier etc. but with these sort of dogs they tend to keep going until they have killed their prey.

at the end of the day it is easier to get a yorkie or even a jack russell off your child then one of the others.

rip poor baby.

what i cant understand is why train your dogs to guard. they naturally do that anyway, so why make them more aggressive.

That is so so sad, I also agree about babies and dogs not mixing, I just couldn't.
:cry: that's so upsetting

its just finalised mine and kris disagreement.
he wants a dog i dont i dont trust them atall. i think any dog can turn. my rotteweilers bite me on the arm when i stood on its paw by mistake.

im not a animal lover yet kris loves dogs sooooo much.

Harley is 5months old and imagin seeing that happen to him!!

i dont blame the parents one bit though! and i think that any one that blames the parents is ignorant.

no the baby shouldnt have been left alone (if it was) but its so easy to turn your back the dog could have swipped that baby in seconds

there not bad dogs ive had two and they are as soft as muck them two that killed the baby were actually guard dogs so the baby should not have even been left alone with the dogs they were protecting there property they are lovely pet dogs if you treat them right my dog is not vivcious she is as soft as muck

unfortunatley its owners who don't really have a clue about training dogs, if you want to train a dog as a guard dog it really should b done by some one who knows what they are doing.
Or you end up with situations that are uncontrollable.

To a dog a 5 month old baby is small and resembles a rabbit, toy, small animal - a dog doesn't know that its a baby - they just react to instinct - as all in all they are domesticated wild animals.

I was attacked by a cat when i was about 10-1y it scratched all down my face and i was lucky i didn't lose my eye sight.
So should cats be banned - no.

Its one of those things that happens, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have a great respect for dogs and i know how quickly they can turn, so i never leave Ewan with or near a dog. i always pick ewan up if a dog is coming towards him, suss the dog out then introduce him in a controlled way.

I am so so sorry for the loss of their baby, i can't imagine how they feel but to blame one breed of dog is wrong.

I live a couple of miles from the pub where this tragedy happened. My heart goes out to the family. From what I understand, the dogs were trained to be guard dogs in the pub and spent most of the time on the pubs flat roof. The owners of the dogs (the landlords of the pub and baby's grandparents) are on holiday and their son and his gf were downstairs looking after the pub and one of the dogs managed to drag the baby to the roof where they both mauled her. I hope I have heard this wrong because otherwise I have no idea how they are ever going to overcome this tragedy. To lose a child in any circumstances is horrific, but to have your own dogs kill your grandchild is something I don't think they will ever get over.

I am so glad I got rid of our rottweiler before Charlie was born. We still have an alsation-cross who although he is really soft, I would still never ever leave him alone in the room with Charlie.

OH told me about this yesterday.

It is awful. But like everyone else has said - Where were the parents?

You should never trust any dog around your children. I have a lovely family pet dog but I NEVER leave her alone with Phoebe because you just never know.

I hope if nothing else that people learn from this and it prevents it happening again.

yep i agree you are taking a baby into a new place (from what i understand they went to stay there to look after the pub while parents were away and took their baby) so they leave the baby, in a room, alone with the door open in a place that has 2 dogs that are trained to guard, 2 dogs that dont know the baby and think (whats this thats come in here) and where does the blame go? the dogs, not the parents...i feel for the parents i really do...but its like leaving a gun or a knife in a room with a young child and they get seriously injured playing with it..where will the blame go in a circumstance like that? The parents obviously...in my eyes, with this case i feel that is quite a good comparism...

That poor little child its such a tradjedy, and i do feel very very sorry for the grandparents and parents of the little girl.

r.i.p :pray:

I totally agree Cassi.

It is a terrible tragedy.

Lets hope lessons have been learned from it so it prevents it happening again.

I personally agree that rotwillers should be kept as pets. Although all dogs are different they are prone to particular traits.

I have spent the last year studying evolutionary physcology amongst humans and animals. And differnt classes of dogs are genetically made up for different things, hence gun dogs, working dogs etc. Although a lot of it goes down to training, certain breeds are genetically inclided to certin charactistics, hence their being chosen for different roles, guarding, racing, policing etc. And rottwillers are prone to aggressive behavior, that although can be trained to be obedient and mild mannored, they will always carry the risk of having a sudden break in behavior where they may attack unprovoked.

Whenever choosing a dog you should look to see the breeds suitability for your lifestyle. Many breads including little terriers!! are not suitable for people with young children and this should always be taken into consideration when choosing a pet. And I agree that anyone with a family should think long and hard before getting a dog like a rottweiler, although dogs individually vary, is it worth getting a dog that is predisposed to a certain type of behavior? In this day and age animals are not really required as guard animals, as we have other safer forms of security, I do not really see why anyone should keep such a noturiously dangerous animal, when they can be so harmfull to people of any age. If someone in your street kept a pet tiger promising you that it was a very friendly mild mannored one, I dont really thinkyou would trust it and it would never be allowed because of the risks it would put humans at, and I feel its the same with these dogs.

Sorry if anyone has a rotwiller but they aren't exactly cute,why would you even want one as a pet,you would hardly wanna cuddle up to it :? ,but i have to agree i would never leave any dog alone with a child :shakehead: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back