Hospital confidentiality???

mumof2

Reaction score
I booked my 12 week scan the other day and I have only told a few close friends and family, but i have just found out a girl i used to work with is now 12 weeks pregnant and went for her 1st scan 2day, while she was there she booked in her 20 week scan and saw my name booked in and she knew the time and everything so now everyone is gonna know coz she is the biggest gossip and blabber mouth

would u be cross with the hospital or am i overreacting?

thats well out of order..did they have it written down in a book?
i thought it was all electronic data- i'd be very annoyed!!

although they couldn't have foreseen someone you know coming in etc..
its still a breach of your patient confidentiality (cor thats a long word to type) and data protection act! :shakehead:

:shock:

I definitely see that as a breach of confidentiality. There is no reason why they should be showing your name and when your scan is. That's very out of order. I'd have a real go at them to be honest. I don't think your over reacting at all!

My hospital keeps the appointments in a large diary type book so you could possibly see other names but they keep it away from the window so you can't see what's in it.

Its not good that she was able to see your name but I'm not sure how far you'd get if you complained...

My friend had a similar thing happen but it was when she was in the waiting room for her 12 week scan she saw someone she knew from work who she thought might blab but as it happened this woman kept quiet. You might be lucky.

It could be either or really, she could have just had a sneaky peak over the counter as she was making the appointment, then again if she did get a good look at the books im sure it wasnt the hospitals intentions to let her know you were going fdor a scan, as they wouldnt have known she knew you, just try and gte hold of this other lady and ask her to keep it to herself

i had to have an emergency scan quite early on in my pregnancy. i was laid on a bed with my husband at my side and there were my hospital notes laying on the table on the other side of the room.
my husband started having a nose and saw things i didnt really want him to see.
i attempted suicide when i was 18 and it said stuff like "i was asking for my boyfriend".
i also had a termination when i was 26 (i had my reasons) and was terrified he would see this.
Fortunately the nurse came in and took notes with her.
i was absolutley fuming . we all have our secrets.

At my hospital they have it all in a big diary too, when I booked my 20 week scan on Monday I could have really easily looked and seen other people's names but I'm not that nosey!

It might be worth making a complaint so that they can look at their system and change it if needs be. I'd have a word with this girl too and ask her to keep it quiet for th e time being.

Is a tough one the hospital should be more carefull with their records other people shouldn't be able to read them, but if you complained Im not sure theres much they would do, I would talk to this girl explain why you want it kept quiet being pregnant herself Im sure she will be understanding!
A few years back I was told with no tests that I had chamydia and my DH would have it too so should be tested and treated they took tests but treated me for it anyway before results came in when my DH went for his tests they brought all my medical records up on the screan turned towards my DH and scrolled through it all which I thought was totally out of order I have nothing to hide but thats not the point I was jumping when DH told me and he couldn't understand why :roll: also turned out in the end neither of us had chlamydia at all and they should have waited for test results back before treating us both for it, this along with some other things is why I left that surgery!
Last week when I saw my friend she mentioned that when she was in the doctors booking apointment other receptionist was on the phone to me booking me in for midwife appointment its lucky I am further on and had told her I was pregnant a good while before this happened not quite the way I'd have liked her to have found out but can't really blame doctors for that!

Sounds like this woman is a really nosey mare!

I doubt you'd get very far complaining though, if all she saw was your name in an appointment book. If she'd had a read through your notes it would be another matter......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back