• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hospital bag for C section

Vickyleigh

Reaction score
I packed my bags ages before I found out I was having a section so I'm not sure if I have packed enough and the right things so if you have had a section is there anything you recomend I must take?

Hi vickyleigh

I had an emergency c section four weeks ago. The main things you need are similar to a normal birth - LOTS of maternity pads (Tesco own brand are brilliant), lots of nighties (you will leak some kind of body fluid on them frequently!), breast pads, nursing bras (if breast feeding), camera, normal clothes (probably still maternity) because after the first day or two you will want to start feeling normal again, slippers etc etc.....

Some things that are useful after a c section would include:

two flannels and towels (wound should have its own flannel and towel)

big Bridget Jones pants! don't take anything that will dig into the bikini line area

pillow or rolled up towel to hold over the wound if you need to cough or sneeze (not a pleasant experience! :shock: )

you will have a urinary catheter in for 24 hours (ish) and be wobbly and painful, so make sure your hair is washed before you go into hospital (greasy hair is the last thing you want!) and toiletries that you can use in bed or by a sink - you won't be able to shower till later that day or the next at the earliest.

ALWAYS say yes when offered painkillers! - don't try to be brave it won't make you a better person but it will make you sore and make caring for your baby difficult.

some nice snack type food/drinks as you may miss the food service initially and, afterwards, may not feel like making the trek to the dining room (although most wards have catering staff that can bring something to your bedside).

enough clothes for you and the baby for about five days (or a willing partner that can bring these in for you each day)

also, get your partner to unpack the essentials before he goes home into the top section of the bedside table so that you don't have to bend down or rifle through your bags (eg maternity pads, breast pads, nappies, cotton wool, toiletries, tissues, clean pants/nightie/baby gro (for accidents :oops: ).

Can't think of anything else at the moment - sorry for the long post!

Hope some of this is helpful, and good luck on the birth of your baby :hug:

Oooo yeah I remeber when I had my C-Section with Caulay. It was an emergency one and so I'd just taken normal knickers in. My God they hurt, rubbing on the wound. The hossie ended up giving me some big Bridget Jones ones till I could get some big ones LOL. Only thing is they looked like the nets that oranges come in but white in colour..................very sexy I must say :rotfl:

Mmmm I remember the orange net knickers myself although the first night after the section (Charlie was delivered at 3.38pm by emergency c-section) they left me with just a pad on and no knickers so they could change it without messing me about....you leave your dignity at the door!!!!! :oops:
Make sure your slippers are easy to get on, slip on are better, as you wont be able to bend down very well and possibly loose slippers as my feet/legs swelled up like tree trunks!!!
I would certainly recommend a nightie and not PJ's as I packed PJ's thinking they might prevent me from flashing my knickers on the ward (getting in and out of bed, etc) but ended up with a section so werent a good idea and had to send OH for a nightie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back