Holidays accrued during maternity leave

NicciLove

Reaction score
I was pleased to discover that my company offers employees a better deal on their maternity leave however im having a bit of a mare with holidays accrued.

My holiday year is from June 1st until May 31st the next year and my due date is 19th September. I was under the impression you could use all your holidays before officially starting maternity leave at a later date.

My employer is now saying that i only accrue 6 days between June 1st and my due date and that the remaining holiday and bank holidays can be added to the end of my maternity leave.

The problem is i would like to use it up sooner as a. i could use the money and b.I am planning to return to work sooner than a year. The dates they have given me mean that my paid holiday would roll over to the year after?? but i am not allowed to carry holidays over ? ? ?

Am i being a dumbo? or am i right/allowed to want to take it at the beginging?:eh:

as far as I know I thought you could take them all beforehand. My holidays are 1st Jan - 31st Dec and I'm entitled to 24 a year (we are supposed to save 5 automatically for Christmas) allowing us 19 throughout. I'm due at the end of August and when I checked with the main boss man he said I'm entitled to every holiday and they should be taken before I go on maternity. I've asked if I can save them up and use them all together and he said yes, I could use them however I want. He said they've got to be used as I can't roll them over and as I'm still employed by them whilst on maternity I'm entitled to them all beforehand...xxx

nicci love i totally know wot ur going through i had exactlt the same problem. my hols went from jan to jan and i am due in july. work wernt allowing me to take my 4 weeks before i went on maternity they were saying i was only aloud 10 days and i had to be paid for the other later in the year, which i really didnt want as i wanted to use them as days off rather than being paid for them.
bare with and i'll find u some websites that helped me and i'll let you know what i did about it

ok this is the email that i sent to my mangaer containing a internet link.
have a look and let me know how u get on

I have recently spoken to ACAS and Citizens advice regarding my maternity leave and holidays.
They both said because i have worked for you for over 1 year, I am able to take my full 20 days holidays before i go on maternity leave at the end of july.
I would like to do this and use my days as holidays rather than being paid for them later on in the year. Therefore i would like to take the whole of my 4 weeks prior to my maternity leave.
Please see link attached
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_175088

I trust that this is enough information.As soon as you get back to me regarding the above then i will be able to confirm my maternity leave with as much notice as possible

Last edited:
I really thought i was going to loose the plot with all this so ladies i cannot thank you enough!!!

I really just want my dates confirmed as well as knowing what i will be paid so i can relax, train my cover and count down the days till i finish.

I will email my hr department with that info tomorow and let you know how i get on but once again many many thanks.

Wish me luck!!

glad i cud help. and i know wot u mean i'm on countdown now 7weeks and 3 days 2 go!!
gud luck and let me know x

wow 7 weeks and 3 days, it seems like ages till i'm counting late close to the big day, is this your first??

Well i emailed my hr department what you posted and this is their reply

Usually we encourage partners to take it at the end of their maternity leave, as paying it at the beginning without it being already accrued poses some risk if the partner ends their employment before the end of their maternity.

Looking at your dates, you should be ok to take these at the beginning of your leave, as your leave will not run over 2 annual leave years. You will therefore have 25 annual leave days and 8 bank holidays to take. If you can let me know how you would like to take these and we will run through some dates.

All that stress and now they say yes you can do that!

I just want my dates set and not have to worry about whether my company are going to pay me correctly, i can be such a stress head sometimes hehe

I feel so relieved now (and a bit smug hehe)

Again Thank you for your help xxx :)

Your due date is the same as mine Nicci :)

My previous company let me take it before and after maternity leave so that was really good! I only chose to take it after the leave because at the end they stop paying you so I could still carry on with paid holiday ;) x

Your due date is the same as mine Nicci :)

and both boys?? im sure i read a thread that your also team blue?? :) :)

I'm, so glad my company have agreed to let me take it all at the start, it means an extra 5 weeks full pay and i could really use that to get last minute bits for bubba.

I feel so much more relaxed now that it's all sorted, i have my confirmed last working day etc

ROLL ON 03.08.10 hehe

wow so u got 33 days to take in total, thats brill! if u take them before ur due date then u wont be far behind me.
ssooo glad u got sorted and can now countdown ha ha! i totally know wot u mean i got right stressed over it 2.
my manager said it was fine to take the holidays before hand as long as i didnt hand my notice in whilst on maternity leave. she didnt say i can have the bank holidays as well tho. i think i'm being abit cheecky if i start asking for them 2 so think i'll leave it as it is.

yeh it is my first is it urs??

wow so u got 33 days to take in total, thats brill! if u take them before ur due date then u wont be far behind me.
ssooo glad u got sorted and can now countdown ha ha! i totally know wot u mean i got right stressed over it 2.
my manager said it was fine to take the holidays before hand as long as i didnt hand my notice in whilst on maternity leave. she didnt say i can have the bank holidays as well tho. i think i'm being abit cheecky if i start asking for them 2 so think i'll leave it as it is.

yeh it is my first is it urs??

I know i have been so lucky, i also get an additional 10 weeks full pay, 12 weeks at half and then the rest at smp, so i did feel a bit cheeky demanding my holidays as well but i really needed the money earlier rather than later.

They told me about the bank holidays so i wasnt going to turn my nose up at the extra days!!

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders (im a bit of a stress head and like things organised hehe)

This is my first too, my nerves are shot!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back