Teacher and maternity leave!!!

futuremum

Reaction score
Hi!

I started school yesterday. Although I felt refreshed on monday, I am already tired and am finding it difficult to get up. I do not know what it is going to be like by friday lol

If the baby was really quiet during those holidays, now that I am moving a lot, the baby kicks, moves around much more, i do not think he likes the lifting of books and chairs and tables lol

Also I was disappointed, i thought i could come back one week before easter holidays but I have to be at school at least 3 weeks if i want the holidays paid at normal salary :evil: So first inconvenient of being a teacher, your holidays count in the maternity leave, you cannot deduce them from it, which is a bit unfair in the respect that my b/f 's sister took all her holidays before her maternity leave so she gets a few weeks more. I will lose in total 5 weeks of maternity leave, which will really make it at 13 weeks instead of 18 :cry:

That doesn't sound right?? I'd check on that, it sounds a bit harsh...

I to am a teacher and really tired at the moment. Just wondered what maternity pay do you get? I will have been working for 2 years when I go off on mat leave but presently just have (as always have) a fixed term post until Sept. I have worked for same council for whole 2 years. Do I just get statutary mat leave or do I get something additional?

Hi Freya!!

What you will get is 2 weeks at 100%, 4 weeks at 90%, 12 weeks at 50 % plus SMP (if you work at least 13 weeks after your maternity leave otherwise you will have to give the 50% back or refuse it), 8 weeks on normal SMP and an additional 26 weeks non paid if you wish for.

Salary wise, we are luckier than people who only have SMP which is only a little bit more than £100 a week but holidays are part of the maternity which is a bit unfair but we cannot have everything I guess!!!

I am going back to work as soon as I hit the 18th week because my rent alone is £575 so will not have enough money to pay just the rent as I am the only earner in the family.

Great thanks for that I actually think this means I am entitled to more than I thought! Hurrah! Feel that I deserve it after the week I have just had.

I know what you mean by that lol!!! My day was exhausting today as I started my day with 2 year 8 bottom sets, followed by 2 year 9 bottom sets and then by y11 bottom set!!!! :roll:

Cannot wait for maternity leave to start although if i am ok, would like to carry on but I know i won't, i am finding it tiring and am losing my patience more with kids. Last time, one kid just saw me going through the door but instead of holding the door, he squashed me against it so he could go too and his bag was against my belly. Poor him, i had a go at him, but they have no respect whatsoever!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back