Holiday happyness or Holiday hell??

Kas

Reaction score
Hiya, im going on holiday soon with my OH and my son hes only 3 months (will be 4 by the time we go). I was just wondering if anyone had taken a young baby abroad? Everyone i speak to tells me i should have left him with his grandparents but i couldnt bare to leave him for a day never mind a week. They have all came up with terrible horror stories of non stop cryin etc. How did you cope with your baby on holiday? and do you have any tips of how to keep him settled and happy when were there? Hes usually a really happy smiley baby. Kel xxx :lol:

I took my first away when he was about 5 months and it was great!

A few tips:
Take a lot of drinks or a dummy or whatever for the plane. During take off and landing make sure he is thirsty enough to drink to equalize his ears. This is very important as they can cry and hurt their eas if you don't do this.

Take microwave steriliser bags (if you'll have a microwave)

Factor 60+ sunscreen!

Hats hats hats!

I'll have a think and come back later with more.

Where are you going?

Im going to america in july Ella will be 6 months. were staying in a villa and have plenty of family to help out so it should be ok, Im looking forward to it but worried Ill forget something important!

make a list and then tick it off when you pack it, when we went away to surrey in the easter i forgot nearly all of kacy vests they had fallen of the bed so she only had two the one she was wearing and one that was in the suit case. or ask someone to check your babies bag to make sure you have everything

Thanks everone, were going to turkey, a very clean part as my OH is half turkish, we'll be stayin in a hotel, ive checked the weather and it should be 25 degrees, bearing in mind it was 21 decgrees in Glasgow today and he coped well slept a bit more than usual. Im just wondering too if Kaiden can drink their water even if its boiled im prob better buyin bottled water and boiling that for his bottles instead. I bought him a few hats and clothes and a parasol for his buggy sun block etc, he wont be in the sun but just incase. I cant wait to go away as we didnt last year coz i was pregnant, certainly no where near the bikini body stage as i had him 13 weeks ago, but it all flattens out well when i lay down to sun bathe. See what all us women have to go through LOL Kel xxx :oops:

I asked the HV about water in America and she said it should be ok BUT to be on the safe side use spring water (and she said not mineral water becuase they cant digest the minerals)
Another good tip she gave me was to get a large water bottle and cut the top of it and then use it to put water and sterilizing tablets in to sterilize bottles. But as Im in a villa Ill just use the washing up bowl, do u think this would be ok to put all the bottles and sterilizing tabs in?

My sister said she put her babies bottles in the kettle and boiled them when she was on hoilday has anybody tried that, i usually use a microwave steriliser and dont use the sterilising tablets with that. Has anybody used the microwave strilising bags and where do you get them from, im gonna be staying in a hotel that cater for kids but i aint sure if we get a microwave or kettle in our room as its half board and not self catering XkelX

Hi Kas I've seen those bags in Mothercare and John Lewis.
I would maybe buy some tablets too incase you don't have a microwave, or you can get those disposable pre-sterilised bottle bags from mothercare too. You need the special bottle to hold them it's about 4 quid.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure bubs will be fine and you'll have a great time i flew from Oz to london when Abi was 9 weeks old on my own and she was either sleeping or feeding then again when we came back she was 5 1/2 months then and again slept all the way ( should be interesting to see how she is this time, she's now 7 1/2 months :? ) i gave her a dummy for take off and she was fine. She went from snow to 35 degrees, i struggled but Abi wasn't too bad, i just kept her in a nappy through the day when we were in the house. I use a brita filter as she had a really upset tummy when we came back (diorehea (sp?) for nearly a week :shock: ) maybe it would be worth buying one and taking with you, brita ones are ok to use i checked :). As for sterilising i would just get sterilising tablets then when you get there but a plastic container and do cold water sterilising. Make sure you have enough bottles for flying incase you get delayed at all. If you haven't got a mosquito net for your pushchair get one, they're great will save you a lot of hassel and are cheap to buy, bites come up really nasty on babies.
Cant think of anything else right now. x

thats great advice manda thanks :) especially the dumy for take off

Thanks alot of good advise, gotta get the mosquito (Sp) net thing, what about travel cot ive got one thats compact, i dont know weither to take it or not? there are cots there but aint really wanting to use a matress that tons of other babies have used. maybe take it on as hand luggage? as its slim enough to go over head, and remember DUMMIES!! XkelX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back